To Report or not to Report????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoodyHoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
As I get my app together for applying to IM I keep debating whether or not to report my USMLE step II score. Would you guys report a low pass score (~200)?

I am a D.O. student so I decided to take step II to try and at least score the average or better. Obviously it didn't work out too well for me and i've pretty much felt like $hit about it. I would like to make excuses and blame it on not studying as much as I should have but who knows. I am above average on the COMLEX and have great LORs, 2 publications, etc.....

Answer me this:

1) If you were in my shoes would you report this score?
2) If I ever fell in love with a specialty and decided to apply, would the fellowship programs see this score or even care about this score?

thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

My feeling would be to say not to report your score. It sounds like your application package is complete already, and the Step 2 score really won't add anything. Program directors probably won't care that much that you got a 200, but I still think if your app is fine without it, no need to bother with it. If someone asks, you can tell them your score then.

Fellowships will probably not care that much either. Your step 3 score probably matters more then anyway.

Actually, you MUST report the score.

Per the ERAS documentation, Step 5 "Create your MyERAS application":

Note to osteopathic applicants only: Before you certify your ERAS application, consider whether you will apply to ACGME and/or AOA-accredited programs. If you apply to ACGME accredited programs and you have taken the USMLE, you must report that on your CAF. If you only apply to AOA accredited programs, you do not have to report the USMLE on your CAF.

So, if you are applying to allopathic residencies, you must release your USMLE score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, you MUST report the score.

Per the ERAS documentation, Step 5 "Create your MyERAS application":

So, if you are applying to allopathic residencies, you must release your USMLE score.

Hey, thanks both of you for the info. Do you think though that this means you have to report that you have taken it and not necessarily your score. I guess though that it may look bad to say you have taken it but not report your score.

So after some searching I found out that you have to report that you took the test and whether you failed or passed but you do not have to report your score.

So after some searching I found out that you have to report that you took the test and whether you failed or passed but you do not have to report your score.

Thanks for the clarification. I expect that most allopathic programs to which you apply will require that you release your score, once they know you have taken it.

So as long as you report your USMLE Step 1 score, you've complied with those ERAS "instructions." aProgDirector, do you or any other directors you know actually ask DO interviewees "Did you take the USMLE Step 2?" or ".. Step 1?" (Or have any DOs out there been asked that when applying?) I would be honest and disclose my "just under 200" score if asked directly, but I haven't felt an obligation to volunteer that when COMLEX is enough for the programs I'm applying to. Several DO residents at various good ACGME programs have been telling me to only report my COMLEX 1 because my USMLE Step 1 is not as good percentile-wise, and supposedly percentile is how they look at COMLEX scores vs. USMLE scores.

So as long as you report your USMLE Step 1 score, you've complied with those ERAS "instructions." aProgDirector, do you or any other directors you know actually ask DO interviewees "Did you take the USMLE Step 2?" or ".. Step 1?" (Or have any DOs out there been asked that when applying?) I would be honest and disclose my "just under 200" score if asked directly, but I haven't felt an obligation to volunteer that when COMLEX is enough for the programs I'm applying to. Several DO residents at various good ACGME programs have been telling me to only report my COMLEX 1 because my USMLE Step 1 is not as good percentile-wise, and supposedly percentile is how they look at COMLEX scores vs. USMLE scores.

I believe that ERAS requires that you report whether you've taken each step of the USMLE and COMLEX. If you've taken them, you need to report them -- unless you are applying to DO programs only, when reporting the USMLE is optional. I guess if you are a DO candidate appying to allopathic residencies only you might not be "required" to report your COMLEX scores, but everyone knows that they are required of DO candidates and will ask for them anyway.

Once you are releasing your USMLE Step 1 score, your step 2 score goes with it -- you release your whole transcript.

I believe that ERAS requires that you report whether you've taken each step of the USMLE and COMLEX. If you've taken them, you need to report them -- unless you are applying to DO programs only, when reporting the USMLE is optional. I guess if you are a DO candidate appying to allopathic residencies only you might not be "required" to report your COMLEX scores, but everyone knows that they are required of DO candidates and will ask for them anyway.

Once you are releasing your USMLE Step 1 score, your step 2 score goes with it -- you release your whole transcript.

Yeah I figure they will ask me for my usmle score anyway so I might as well report it and just pray. thanks for the info.