To Retake or not to retake, that is the question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbdent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would be grateful for any advice on my pre-dental situation.

I am reapplying this coming 2010 cycle to CO- (my home state) , NE and AZ, none of which I was granted interview last time (although all three held on to my application for a long time, without giving me my rejection letter- which I am told is a good thing, as I was in the short list?)

I took the DAT and got the following:
PAT 17
RC 22
QR 15 ouch
GC 20
OC19
BIO 15 ouch
AA 18

Obviously Bio and QR killed me. I was averaging 21s on BIO in all my practice exams, so don’t know what happened on game day. Also, I suck at QR, so no excuse there.

Should I retake the DAT? Or would my time be better spent working on my GPA by taking some auxiliary courses. My GPA is a 3.2 (major GPA is economics – 3.6, science GPA – 2.9). Obviously this is a bit low, but I was not a science major.

I have heaps of dental experience, assisting, volunteering, dental aid work abroad ect. And also have excellent written references from professors.

What can I do additionally to get in!!?? Any feedback is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest a retake. Having more than 1 low score might stop you from gaining admissions. I think if you retake you can boost up your TS score which would look much better for your gpa.

Good luck.

Hi,

I would be grateful for any advice on my pre-dental situation.

I am reapplying this coming 2010 cycle to CO- (my home state) , NE and AZ, none of which I was granted interview last time (although all three held on to my application for a long time, without giving me my rejection letter- which I am told is a good thing, as I was in the short list?)

I took the DAT and got the following:
PAT 17
RC 22
QR 15 ouch
GC 20
OC19
BIO 15 ouch
AA 18

Obviously Bio and QR killed me. I was averaging 21s on BIO in all my practice exams, so don’t know what happened on game day. Also, I suck at QR, so no excuse there.

Should I retake the DAT? Or would my time be better spent working on my GPA by taking some auxiliary courses. My GPA is a 3.2 (major GPA is economics – 3.6, science GPA – 2.9). Obviously this is a bit low, but I was not a science major.

I have heaps of dental experience, assisting, volunteering, dental aid work abroad ect. And also have excellent written references from professors.

What can I do additionally to get in!!?? Any feedback is appreciated
Yes, you have plenty of time! do it! the 15s got to go and the 17 can go up a bit also.. you must have gotten a hard version..( i wonder how many there are?) But then again, for bio u have to know EVERYTHING and if you only took 2 req bio semesters that's not enough to know all the answers.. i felt they ask questions that you cant possibly answer unless you took genetics, endocrinology & anatomy.. get topscore & achiever, crack pat for the pat practice. Make notes of all the bio Qs on Aciever & TopScore (all the answers and explanations to the answers, draw pictures if you are visual) and read before bed each night until test day- it will stic in your head and you will do better!! Also if you have time watch all these videos & take notes http://science.nhmccd.edu/BioL/animatio.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say get that Bio section up first. IMO, take a bio class (like physio) and take the DAT when the class is over. 2 birds one stone.
Get your science gpa up of course also. '

You can increase BOTH your gpa and your DAT, there should not be a tradeoff between the two.

You definitely want to up that Bio score. I think if you read and know the Cliffs AP Bio book well, you'll do fine. Good luck.

sorry, but it looks like a retake, 2 low scores and one in natural sciences, im in the same boat. welcome aboard!