To retake or not to retake..That's the question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpbdoctobe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a delimma, I got a 25 (VR-7, BS-9, PS-9) on the MCAT . I realize that is quite low but it is better than I did on any of my practice tests with TPR. My fear is that I do worse if I retake it and I feel than would reduce my chances of getting in even further. I know most schools take the highest score but they still can see the others and I'm sue they take them into consideration. I have a great deal of medical experience as a Respiratory Therapist and hope to be published within the next year. Does anyone have any suggstions?????
Thanks,
MB

Members don't see this ad.

defintiely retake. study harder, mb.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Study like crazy, retake and to better. Schools like upward trends.

i'm no expert, so i'll just tell you my experience. i also got a 25 on the mcat. my advice is to apply to the schools early and still retake the test. i took the test in the spring and applied early, but i wasn't happy with the 25 so i signed up for the fall mcat. i recieved two interviews before the second mcat date, so i didn't retake the test(ended up with 2 more interviews afterwards and got in). but you might want to take the test if you don't get any interviews or go ahead and take it again anyways. i think they want to see that you tried

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mpbdoctobe:
•I am in a delimma, I got a 25 (VR-7, BS-9, PS-9) on the MCAT . My fear is that I do worse if I retake it and I feel than would reduce my chances of getting in even further. Does anyone have any suggstions?????
Thanks,
MB•••••I'll be blunt. I don't care what you publish you're not going to get in with a freakin 25. Your chances are like 1/100. Not impossible but would you bet your life on it? Well you're basically doing that!

Accept that you won't get in with a 25 and you'll realize that you have nothing to lose by retaking the MCAT. If you don't retake it you won't get in. If you DO retake it you have a chance of getting it.

So retake it..you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I vote retake, but apply early too....what's your gpa and science gpa? If it's very high, you might even get an interview before the August test, although, that's not very likely.

Good luck!

is there that much of a difference between a 25 and 27 because, when i posted a question about retaking with a 27 and 3.9, the majority said not to retake. just wondering how two points can make such a big difference or maybe i am just hoping for a miracle too??

Retake all the way! It's better to do it now rather than spending thousands of dollars applying, and only found out later that it's your MCAT score that's keeping you from getting those interviews or acceptances.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Coolio30:
•is there that much of a difference between a 25 and 27 because, when i posted a question about retaking with a 27 and 3.9, the majority said not to retake. just wondering how two points can make such a big difference or maybe i am just hoping for a miracle too??•••••because a 27 (or a 9 in each category) seems like the lowest acceptable score IMO....although sometimes people get in w/ lower scores.....if 27 is the "lowest good", anything lower (25) would be too risky.