To retake or not to retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottyJ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here are my scores:

PA:25
QR:17
RC:15
BIO:20
GC:29
OC:22
TS:22
AA:21

The RC was tough; I think I just had a bad day. I usually would get 20-22 on Kaplan and Topscore. But Am I out of the running since I did bad on RC and average on QR? Should I retake? I mean, I still got a 21.

Members don't see this ad.

tough to say. you have a good score but your RC is pretty low. You should check with the dental schools you intend to apply to than ask for anyones advice on here.

Whats your gpa? If it is decent I wouldn't take it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok here are my scores:

PA:25
QR:17
RC:15
BIO:20
GC:29
OC:22
TS:22
AA:21

The RC was tough; I think I just had a bad day. I usually would get 20-22 on Kaplan and Topscore. But Am I out of the running since I did bad on RC and average on QR? Should I retake? I mean, I still got a 21.

The QR and the RC scores probably rank at the bottom of the list in terms of importance. While your RC is at the bottom 12.4% you obviously "comprende" the material well above the average to have a TS of 22. It is going to be a difficult task to duplicate the score on Bio, GC, and OC. You may well improve your QR and RC by retaking the exam, but you may end up doing so at the expense of your science scores.

PAT and QR rank on the bottom. The RC is important unfortunetly. Why don't you take it again and if its bad..you don't have to send it out...:D You can take it and THEN send it out if its good... :thumbup:

PAT and QR rank on the bottom. The RC is important unfortunetly. Why don't you take it again and if its bad..you don't have to send it out...:D You can take it and THEN send it out if its good... :thumbup:

QR is usually ranked as the least important section. However, certain schools place very high regards to the PAT, so your 25 will obviously help you out. RC is also very highly regarded, so you may want to call up your schools to make sure this is alright.

Why don't you take it again and if its bad..you don't have to send it out...:D You can take it and THEN send it out if its good... :thumbup:

And the march toward diseminating misinformation continues!

You do not get to choose which scores will be sent . The results of the last three attempts are mailed out. (see p 31)
www.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_examinee_guide.pdf (should read .. org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_examinee_guide.pdf (Sorry, the direct link to the website does not come out correctly on SDN).

When you sign up to take the DAT, they ask you to put in all the dental schools that you want your scores sent to right?? you can leave that part EMPTY!!! How can they send the SCORES if you don't tell them which dental schools to send it too????
The OP should go ahead and send these scores out in May. Then retake the DAT (after 90 days), and then decide if he wants the new scores send out after the exam.

PAT??? Bottom??? Please put down the crack pipe....

PAT is the least important section for UNC. PAT averages are usually lower for most schools and AA averages higher b/c its valued more.

PAT??? Bottom??? Please put down the crack pipe....

When you sign up to take the DAT, they ask you to put in all the dental schools that you want your scores sent to right?? you can leave that part EMPTY!!! How can they send the SCORES if you don't tell them which dental schools to send it too????
The OP should go ahead and send these scores out in May. Then retake the DAT (after 90 days), and then decide if he wants the new scores send out after the exam.

That would come under heading "misrepresentation".

For UNC maybe, but I think you need good PAT skill to be a good dentist. If you have PAT of 13 then I say you have a problem visualizing.

Yeah, I do believe that you need a good PAT score to be a dentist. I wish they still had the soap stone test. All the old dentists talk about it. I think the PAT reflects quite well the ability. I've been a airplane modeler for years and I think thats why I did well.

But, I would like to know...Does anyone know anybody that got into dental school with a RC or any other section for that matter with a 15? Does this number put my application in the trash?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Scott, I did 16 on the RC and 23 on PAT. You got me beat on that. I have contacted a few schools and there are in fact some schools who look at the RC quite extensively than I anticipated. Of course, the Harvard and Upenn does have 21 RC average. Tuft has 16 minimum. But if you are just trying to get in somewhere, I think you are set.

I am just trying to get in anywhere, I dont really care where I go. I just really want to be a Dentist.

You realize that part of being a professional is to avoid doing shady things like this right? Schools want you to disclose all info. Since there is no way for them to regulate this, most of it depends on your ethics and honesty. Using your logic, you could take classes at different JC's and only send in the grades that benefit you. The irony is that most schools are pretty forgiving and they will usually take your best scores anyway. C'mon Zhao Wei...you should know better.

To scotty,

Your gonna be a professional one day so avoid that shady business SHC was feeding you. Your DAT scores are very similar to mine, and i had no problem getting interviews. My gpa was a little higher, but that can be compensated by other areas in your application. My only concern is your RC score is borderline to low for certain schools. Just call up some schools and see what they say before jumping the gun. Is English your second language? Also, if your just trying to get in somewhere, then i think you'll be fine.

It's called academic fraud...like not sending ALL transcripts from all academic institutions. You run some serious risks if caught....and it's pretty easy to get caught..

what seriously amazes me is that people come on this forum asking for advice on such significant issues such as retaking the DAT. Why not go to the source of the information that you seek and more importantly accurate information which would be the respective dental schools themselves. At least by doing so, you would receive a definitive answer and not people's opinion based on speculation.
It really would not take more than 2 minutes of your time to make a phone call or at the very least send the dental schools you are interested in an e-mail asking if your RC + QR score would be a problem. I really just dont get it....

what seriously amazes me is that people come on this forum asking for advice on such significant issues such as retaking the DAT. Why not go to the source of the information that you seek and more importantly accurate information which would be the respective dental schools themselves. At least by doing so, you would receive a definitive answer and not people's opinion based on speculation.
It really would not take more than 2 minutes of your time to make a phone call or at the very least send the dental schools you are interested in an e-mail asking if your RC + QR score would be a problem. I really just dont get it....
yeah I called and asked.

Yeah, I slept on it and I have decided to retake the test. Does anyone know a way that I can slam-dunk the RC and QR. Sould I just read the economist, dental research literature, scientific america, etc. Should I follow Kaplan or Test Crackers or anything else all yall might recommend? Should I get an SAT book for math, I think the only way I'll get better at math is doing it all day every day.

Also, I want to apply this June, but since I will be able to retake the test in July, should I wait till then to send out my apps? Should I send out my apps with my first test score and later send my second, but if I am already weeded out by the cookie cutter system with my 15, will school reconsider with a new test score?

Yeah, I also know that a lot of people on here dont know what they are talking about but then again I think that a lot of people do. We are all in a similar situation! But PAT not important! I don't think so. Everything is important. Thanks everybody.

People have mentioned that there are certain schools that wager the PAT section very high. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly the names of some schools that look very highly on that particular score.

Your Orgo and Gen Chem scores are absolutely phenomenal. What material did you use to study for the DAT?

People have mentioned that there are certain schools that wager the PAT section very high. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly the names of some schools that look very highly on that particular score.

It is probably easier to point out which schools do not regard the PAT highly. In which case i know UPenn and Nova does not. As for ones that regard it more highly than others? I hear UoP looks at it very highly. UCLA told me they look at it in the following order TS>RC>PAT>Bio...or something to that effect.

I have the same question. 3.2 GPA and lots of research experience with these DAT scores.

Gen Chem 21
Bio 21
Orgo 19
PAT 19
RC 20
QR 16 :(

Academic 19
Total Science 21

I have no idea whether to retake or not... as I don't know whether I can improve on everything (well QR i can definitely improve)