To Retake or Not to Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alkylholic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so heres my situation, I'm applying to U.F. right now, and the only thing I'm worried about is my PCAT score. Here it is,

Verbal 74%
Biology 64%
Reading 86%
Math 44%
Chemistry 74%

Composite 72%

I have a 3.54 math/science GPA, BUT my GPA just for the U.F. pre-reqs is 3.73....... and I think that is the only one they consider, is that correct??

I also have two pretty good LORs and a decent personal essay. I have a little volunteer service but not too much, and about 2-3 years total pharmacy experience. I'm also a Florida resident.

However I've done most of my work at C.C.'s and over the past 7 years (active duty military). I'm not sure if that will look bad or not.

I really don't want to fork out another 125$ to take the test again if I really don't need to. Also running the risk of doing worse, although I'm sure I can improve since I have a semester of Organic now, and I know my weakness(Quantitative), but you still never know.

I just wanted to get some other opinions on what you guys would do.....? Thanks!

P.S. BTW I've already submitted my Pharmcas because I didn't plan on retaking the PCAT, is it possible to the take the Jan. PCAT even if I wanted to????

Members don't see this ad.

According to their admissions flier, your stats don't stand out, but they are within the accepted range.

The average pre-professional science/math GPA for the admitted fall 2007 class was a 3.53; the range was approximately 3.3 to 4.0.
You wrote that your science/math is 3.54, which is right on the average. But if you are right that they only look at UF's pre-reqs and not additional courses (sorry, I don't know-- anyone?) then a 3.73 is definitely up there.

The average PCAT score for the admitted fall 2007 class was at the 82nd percentile and ranged from about the 70th to 99th percentile on the composite score. Although the minimum required PCAT score is at the 50th percentile, that score is not competitive based on recent applicant pools.
Since your PCAT composite is 72, it's near the bottom of their range, but it's still a solid score.

UF accepts the January PCAT for fall 2008 admissions, so if you want to retake it, you can. I don't know if the admissions office would be able to offer any more insight as to whether you are competitive without retaking it, but you might try calling them. If I were in your position, I would retake it only if I felt confident of increasing my score. Either way, best to you!

I am in the same boat as you.

Verabl 48
Biology 78
Reading Comp 87
Quant 47
Chemistry 74

Comp 72

Science/Math GPA 3.57 Overall 3.50

I graduated 2 years ago with a BS Major: Bio Minor: Chem

I am 24 now. I am not to thrilled at the thought of sitting out another year so I will probably retake just to be sure.

BTW, I am applying to UT Memphis as a non resident and Arkansas as a resident. Hopefully UT will accept me as I live only 10 minutes from their campus, but I happen to live just across the river in Arkansas. Damn state lines.

My advice, dont let $125 bucks determine what you do for another whole year of your life.