To SDN "Pharmacists" & "Pharmacy Students"...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Um, I think this thread was talking about insight into the pharmacy market, not pharmaceutical knowledge. Perhaps I misunderstood and that's why I was confused.

This is how I read it too. And I will say that I have classmates who are in their FINAL year FINAL rotation of pharmacy school and lack one iota of insight into the job market. Just finished rotating with one particularly clueless lad who has:

1) never worked in a pharmacy for pay, ever
2) performed marginally to poorly on rotations
3) wants to initially license in another state but has not looked into what is required in terms of intern hours, etc
4) started applying for jobs two weeks ago but has zero interview invites

I have NO DOUBT that there are techs (probably prepharms) who have a TON more insight than this guy. And are probably better at working with patients.

Members don't see this ad.

This is how I read it too. And I will say that I have classmates who are in their FINAL year FINAL rotation of pharmacy school and lack one iota of insight into the job market. Just finished rotating with one particularly clueless lad who has:

2) performed marginally to poorly on rotations
3) wants to initially license in another state but has not looked into what is required in terms of intern hours, etc
4) started applying for jobs two weeks ago but has zero interview invites

I have NO DOUBT that there are techs (probably prepharms) who have a TON more insight than this guy. And are probably better at working with patients.
At what part of your final year are you suppose to be applying for jobs?

At what part of your final year are you suppose to be applying for jobs?

I know for CVS it is possible (in my market) to get an offer letter in your third year. That sounds better to me than waiting until after graduation. Can't speak to hospital yet, but I assume the early you get your foot in the door, the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for CVS it is possible (in my market) to get an offer letter in your third year. That sounds better to me than waiting until after graduation. Can't speak to hospital yet, but I assume the early you get your foot in the door, the better.

Did you get your offer as a pharmacy intern at CVS or just as an applicant during your junior year?

Did you get your offer as a pharmacy intern at CVS or just as an applicant during your junior year?

I am an intern and was told I could get an offer in my third year if I wanted. Good question, I don't know if any third year can or just CVS interns.

In my market at my employer, they took all of the (4th/6th/last) years and let them interview...and some of them got offers...to be part time floaters...

Out of curiosity, why to your best knowledge that has happened to him ?

In the current job market, I find this particular situation quite common now - I have quite a few classmates including myself that got accepted into p school without paid pharmacy experience, I've volunteered for the most part but in different settings - compounding, retail but worked in the lab. Same goes for my friends in the same position - so now most of us are finishing second year with no paid job in sight.

I was finally able to get not 1 but 2 places to take me as a volunteer during the summer ( still was pretty darn hard being that lots of places wreen't even readily taking ovlunteers due to potential liabilities and etc) so I could finish my hours this summer, but now I wonder how weakly I will look to potential employers ?

Out of curiosity, why to your best knowledge that has happened to him ?

In the current job market, I find this particular situation quite common now - I have quite a few classmates including myself that got accepted into p school without paid pharmacy experience, I've volunteered for the most part but in different settings - compounding, retail but worked in the lab. Same goes for my friends in the same position - so now most of us are finishing second year with no paid job in sight.

I was finally able to get not 1 but 2 places to take me as a volunteer during the summer ( still was pretty darn hard being that lots of places wreen't even readily taking ovlunteers due to potential liabilities and etc) so I could finish my hours this summer, but now I wonder how weakly I will look to potential employers ?

No idea why. We're a three year program so maybe he didn't think he had time. As to why he didn't beforehand, I don't know. He seems completely clueless. He asked my why I didn't have my husband go to pharmacy school because, "It's easy money." Umm...ok. Go on with your bad jobless self, son. :rolleyes:

As to your situation, I'm not sure what to tell you. I know that by and large, my classmates who worked before and through school are signed for jobs now, and the ones who didn't work don't have anything lined up.

No idea why. We're a three year program so maybe he didn't think he had time. As to why he didn't beforehand, I don't know. He seems completely clueless. He asked my why I didn't have my husband go to pharmacy school because, "It's easy money." Umm...ok. Go on with your bad jobless self, son. :rolleyes:

As to your situation, I'm not sure what to tell you. I know that by and large, my classmates who worked before and through school are signed for jobs now, and the ones who didn't work don't have anything lined up.

That would make sense of course just like it makes sense that those who get hired in pschool are the ones that either worked for the same company before school as a tech or have vast retail experience in the past. For example, for the walgreens//cvs internship majority that got hired are the ones who worked for these two companies in the past. Those in my class that worked for small independent pharmacies before got re-hired at the same pharmacies. Very few people got a "brand new" job somewhere else if that makes sense.

I guess I wonder then how hard will be for me to get into residency without paid experience asuming I finish my hours ? My friends aren't concerned about it because most of them are concentrating in "pharmaceutical sciences pathway" which is like an additional major/concentration in our school that you can focus on in order go into research. I'm majoring in "clinical care" but the only clinical care experience I have are elective IPPEs I took on top of the required IPPEs to get additional hospital experience - I tried to get hired at the same hospital, but they have a very strict number of paid positions and all are filled for the next year. :( Do you think it will be an obstacle for me ?

I know I'm worried about the job situation when I finish school (2015), but I feel like as long as I apply myself in school, make good connections, stand out, and work hard I'll be able to find a job once I'm out.

That would make sense of course just like it makes sense that those who get hired in pschool are the ones that either worked for the same company before school as a tech or have vast retail experience in the past. For example, for the walgreens//cvs internship majority that got hired are the ones who worked for these two companies in the past. Those in my class that worked for small independent pharmacies before got re-hired at the same pharmacies. Very few people got a "brand new" job somewhere else if that makes sense.

I guess I wonder then how hard will be for me to get into residency without paid experience asuming I finish my hours ? My friends aren't concerned about it because most of them are concentrating in "pharmaceutical sciences pathway" which is like an additional major/concentration in our school that you can focus on in order go into research. I'm majoring in "clinical care" but the only clinical care experience I have are elective IPPEs I took on top of the required IPPEs to get additional hospital experience - I tried to get hired at the same hospital, but they have a very strict number of paid positions and all are filled for the next year. :( Do you think it will be an obstacle for me ?

I think hospital experience helps with getting residency but it's not 100% essential. I know people who matched without it. Try to maximize your clinical exposure on rotations and be active in ASHP and other organizations. Leadership, community service, etc.

Does anyone know if Kroger is a good company to stick with through pharmacy school if I want a job afterwards?

Does anyone know if Kroger is a good company to stick with through pharmacy school if I want a job afterwards?

My classmates who are Kroger interns are having the least luck getting full time offers right now (compared to those with CVS, RA, Wags). But that's just in one city. I'd say it's different everywhere. Nothing is a sure bet but it's better to have an intern job than NOT have one. Don't quit Kroger without having something else concrete lined up (if that's what you're considering).

My classmates who are Kroger interns are having the least luck getting full time offers right now (compared to those with CVS, RA, Wags). But that's just in one city. I'd say it's different everywhere. Nothing is a sure bet but it's better to have an intern job than NOT have one. Don't quit Kroger without having something else concrete lined up (if that's what you're considering).

Apparently they narrowly avoided lay offs by offering early retirement and voluntary switch to part time. I'm not sure if they were bluffing or they were actually going to lay people off if X number of pharmacists didn't take early retirement/part time, but still... bad times right now for interns with Kroger, in this area at least.

Bah! Before I quit to go back to school I was a district manager for the retail business that I worked for. Actually I still work for them, but just part time now.

We have pharmacies on site at each store. I know all of the pharmacists, and I am well acquainted with the expectations that are placed on them.

I will be an automatic hire once I graduate (they are paying for about 30% of my education), and I will have close to 20 years of tenure with them.. And for those of you who are old enough to know what tenure is - It means that I get more benefits.

Cant fool me there, I know the difference between what is expected of a professional vs. a grunt. Not to mention, which is more disposable.

Huh?

No matter how people are saying if you are truly passionate in the field of pharmacy, then go for it.

However, isn't job security and being able to work where you like is also an important factor?

For the high tuition and long time of training/education, if one still have to work extra hard to make networking besides just learning the material to be a pharmacist, and even after that, you will still have a hard time finding a job that you like, in an area that you like to settle down, that just seems pathetic/sad to me...

I would say this make me sad. Even if someone is passionate in pharmacy, that wouldn't change the fact that the field is becoming worse.

Yes I understand that a degree (pharmd or phd) doesn't entitled a high salary and employment. But there are so many pharmacy students and pharmacist out there, and let's be honest, how many of them are truly, truly go to the professional because they are passionate about that?

And let's be honest and realistic, isn't job security an important aspect for people to go for higher education?

I don't know, I just hate that the pharmacy field become so saturated like what it is today. And yet the tuition is so high....

No matter how people are saying if you are truly passionate in the field of pharmacy, then go for it.

However, isn't job security and being able to work where you like is also an important factor?

For the high tuition and long time of training/education, if one still have to work extra hard to make networking besides just learning the material to be a pharmacist, and even after that, you will still have a hard time finding a job that you like, in an area that you like to settle down, that just seems pathetic/sad to me...

I would say this make me sad. Even if someone is passionate in pharmacy, that wouldn't change the fact that the field is becoming worse.

Yes I understand that a degree (pharmd or phd) doesn't entitled a high salary and employment. But there are so many pharmacy students and pharmacist out there, and let's be honest, how many of them are truly, truly go to the professional because they are passionate about that?

And let's be honest and realistic, isn't job security an important aspect for people to go for higher education?

I don't know, I just hate that the pharmacy field become so saturated like what it is today. And yet the tuition is so high....
Tier 2/3 law schools charge 40k+ for a field that has been saturated for years.

I'm also concerned about the job market and networking when I get out of pharmacy school years down the line.

How does networking work for people who attend an out of state school and plan on moving back home after they're done? I'm lucky to be attending a school thats in the area I plan to work.

Tier 2/3 law schools charge 40k+ for a field that has been saturated for years.

I'm also concerned about the job market and networking when I get out of pharmacy school years down the line.

How does networking work for people who attend an out of state school and plan on moving back home after they're done? I'm lucky to be attending a school thats in the area I plan to work.

Exactly, I probably will end up attending out of state school and will return back home to practice. This really sucks.

If one plans to do residency, I don't think networking really help that much--it is like applying to school, where networking won't help much, maybe the only thing that could help is getting good recommendation letters from preceptor/pharmacists...

And I hate to say that, is it asking too much to ask for a job at a desired location after getting so much debt, and years of training?
If it is, then people should stop saying that pharmacy is a career that provide job security...

Exactly, I probably will end up attending out of state school and will return back home to practice. This really sucks.

If one plans to do residency, I don't think networking really help that much--it is like applying to school, where networking won't help much, maybe the only thing that could help is getting good recommendation letters from preceptor/pharmacists...

And I hate to say that, is it asking too much to ask for a job at a desired location after getting so much debt, and years of training?
If it is, then people should stop saying that pharmacy is a career that provide job security...

You don't have to go. You know that, right?

In my area, Kroger fired 20 interns around Thanksgiving this past year. They ranged from PY2-PY4 because there "weren't enough jobs to go around." Some of these people were even individuals who signed the tuition assistance contract.

Are you kidding? Networking is key. I am more likely to give an interview to a student who has a good rec from a someone I know or did a good job on a rotation at my hospital.