1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

To shave or not to shave.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by hippuppy, Nov 10, 2001.

1. hippuppy

hippuppy Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Should I shave my goatee off before attending an interview. I am usually goatee free but grow it out for the winter. Here is the thing, women really seem to like it on me and I enjoy it as well, but I don't want to leave a bad impression with the the medical school. I have always been told to look as conservative as possible but not sure if a neatly trimmed goatee or beard would hinder my appearance. I know this is a silly question but sure people have thought of it before.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. phd2b

phd2b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Shave it. It'll grow back. Your career is more important than this year's early dating season.

YMMV

4. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I have had a full beard for the last 6 years and will not be shaving for interviews. without it I look like I am 12 years old.If the adcoms can't deal with it I would rather go somewhere else anyway...

5. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

shave it! I also wear a Goatee, I have been told to shave and I am in dental school. Shave it for the interview and then do whatever you want - like I did!

6. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I too had a winter beard in place and neatly groomed when interviews came up. I listened to some friends and shaved it. Much was said about the adcoms looking for that 'clean-cut' appearance (yawn).

However, it may have contributed some good because I'm taking a break from studying for block 3 to write this.

Good Luck or Do Well (if you don't believe in luck). :cool:

7. Wifty

Wifty Eccentrically Silly
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Seriously, aren't there any men that made it thru interview and into acceptance, while keeping their beard?
    Hubby has had a beard/mustache since highschool, neatly trimmed. Is it really going to affect his chances?

8. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The first year I interviewed...I was clean shaven...didn't get in...

The secons time around(the following year)..I had a goat-tee...and ended up with 9 acceptances....I was clean shaven..with the goatee and it was fine...

I guess it is a judgement call...but I felt that I looked too young too without it....

9. Slingblade the Surgeon

Slingblade the Surgeon Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I usually wear a goatee and mustache, but I went for the more conservative look 'just in case'. I am taking no chances with my career, not at this stage anyway. Unfortunately, facial hair is still viewed by older people (The ones in charge)as a sign of rebellion and hippy-ism. These older people are, after all, the ones who were against the rebellious youths of the 60's (the hippies). The ones who were hippies themselves have facial hair now and are easy to spot...Like Geraldo. Until this older generation is no longer running things, the reality is that you COULD meet first impression discrimination. I have had three older people tell me with no uncertain terms that they saw mustaches and beards as dirty and unprofessional. Soooooooooo I shaved mine off for interviews as I am not trying to make any kind of political statement, only trying to maximize my chances of getting in.

You could look at it this way. Is there a chance you could be pre-judged without it? Not likely unless you look 2. Is there a chance you could be pre-judged with it? Yes

As for women....They like doctors better than they like Goatees ;)

10. hippuppy

hippuppy Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For a second there I thought that you were going to say, "As for women, I would recommend that they shave off their facial hair!"
    I almost cringe at the thought of shaving just because someone else might judge me. However, this is the reality of the world we are in and a negative first impression is nearly impossible to erase. Thanks for all of your comments.

Bryan

11. Monkey

Monkey Member
    10+ Year Member

I think it sucks that someone would actually think less of an applicant because of their facial hair. That being said, it's probably true all too often.

Shave.

But after you get in, grow it back, long and nasty, shave your head and go say hi to the folks that interviewed you.

12. FrogRacer

FrogRacer Junior Member

Come on guys! I have a full, neatly-groomed beard/mustache. I interviewed in August of this year, and start med school in 2002. If it's neatly groomed it shouldn't matter.

13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Enzyme Regulators, Ride!
    10+ Year Member

One of the posters on the COMP 2005 thread described himself as having long brown hair when telling people how to spot him at an orientation picnic. I'm guessing a trimmed goatee will do you just fine! :cool:

14. Slingblade the Surgeon

7+ Year Member

I still say a chance is a chance. I grew mine back within a week and now I'm as purty as I ever was.

15. hippuppy

hippuppy Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh Hell. I shaved. I know, I know...I caved. I just got back from a visit at Nova where I met with the Dean and have been told to look out for my interview invitation. Apparently I gave a good impression. Ironically, the Dean of Nova has a wicked mustache so perhaps it wouldn't have mattered. Well, better safe than sorry.

Hip

16. Wifty

Wifty Eccentrically Silly
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Well, hubby went to his interview (at KCOM) and didn't shave. He was trimmed and he did make his hair in back shorter then it had been, but he decided that he would have felt bad about himself if he shaved off his beard.

Everyone says that the interviews are to get to know the 'real you' and he felt he would have been being fake by shaving it off, plus he would have felt more self-conscious going bare and that would have injured his ability to interview well.

Don't know yet if he is accepted or not, but after meeting the people at the school, I seriously doubt his beard would stand in the way.

Wifty...very proud of her husband for doing what he felt was right for him.

17. curlgrrl

curlgrrl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

18. Slingblade the Surgeon

7+ Year Member

Hell, we're all gonna be doctors here. Lets just all go au naturale :eek: