to SMP or not to SMP...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vdub923

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for some feedback on how competitive I might be nationwide. While I'd like to stay in california, I really am happy to go anywhere that is willing to accept me. Your feedback would be appreciated and if you have any suggestions on schools that I might have a good chance at, that would be amazing. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your application looks pretty good, if you apply to enough schools I bet one will accept you no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your MCAT score to compensate for your lower cGPA and a recent steep upward trend in postbac work (if applicable), I think that with your very solid ECs, you have a shot at med schools without an SMP. Maybe add a few DO schools in California and then apply widely to MD programs, like UIllinois and Rosalind Franklin, MSU, Virginia Commonwealth, EVMS, Drexel, NYMC, Tulane, Rush, GWU, Temple, Toledo, Buffalo, Loyola, and Loma Linda, MCW, UVermont, Jefferson, SUNY Upstate, UCentral Florida, Albany, Creighton, Wayne, and Georgetown.

thanks for the advice! A lot of those schools were already on my most recent school list.

Sorry but another question...out of curiosity, how much do you think it helps if I went to a top tier undergraduate university?

I attended an ivy league for undergrad and completed all my post-bacc work at UC Berkeley. Do you know if they consider where your courses are from when they tabulate whether or not you pass their initial numbers game and/or discuss your application in general?

Sorry but another question...out of curiosity, how much do you think it helps if I went to a top tier undergraduate university?

I attended an ivy league for undergrad and completed all my post-bacc work at UC Berkeley. Do you know if they consider where your courses are from when they tabulate whether or not you pass their initial numbers game and/or discuss your application in general?

minimum at best...