To specialize or not to specialize

FTD123456

2+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2016
    For a year now I have been toying with the idea of applying for pediatric dental residency, however I keep getting mixed opinions. Some say I should practice as a general dentist itself others suggest otherwise. I am sure that I want to practice pediatric dentistry. But here are my questions:
    1. Is it worth investing 2 yrs? Are the salaries different if I practice pediatric dentistry as a general dentist v/s as a pediatric dentist?
    2. Is there any treatment that I am not allowed to do as a general dentist?

NavyDentist2

Navy
    7+ Year Member
    May 17, 2013
    1. Dentist
      For a year now I have been toying with the idea of applying for pediatric dental residency, however I keep getting mixed opinions. Some say I should practice as a general dentist itself others suggest otherwise. I am sure that I want to practice pediatric dentistry. But here are my questions:
      1. Is it worth investing 2 yrs? Are the salaries different if I practice pediatric dentistry as a general dentist v/s as a pediatric dentist?
      2. Is there any treatment that I am not allowed to do as a general dentist?

1. Most peds residency are paid so yes I’d say it’s worth it if that’s what you want to do.
      on average peds make more than GPs

2. I don’t believe so

Reactions: 1 user
      Mar 4, 2008
      Mid Atlantic
      1. Dentist
        1. Agree with the above poster, generally will make more. Financially an easy decision if you love peds and get a paid residency position. I think some do charge tuition though?

2. All the outpatient procedures are the same but the big difference would be hospital privileges for sedation cases. I think that’s much harder to do if you’re a GP.

If you love peds, don’t like implants/dentures/complex fixed cases/etc and thus don’t want to own a general practice, give it a shot. Pediatric dentistry all day every day would be torture for me though.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.