Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

To Stanford undergrads/alum...just curious

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by E'01, Nov 26, 2001.

1. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was just curious as to whether any of you guys had a Dr. Robert Sapolsky as your biology professor? I think he's an awesome author and was just wondering how his classes were. :)

2. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry! I had meant to post this in the pre-med forum.

3. mrp

mrp Member
    10+ Year Member

He's one of the best lecturers I had in the biology core classes sophomore year. Plus, he's a cool guy. He spends several months a year in africa observing baboon behavior and taking blood samples. At least that's what he was doing when I was an undergrad.

ExtremeTruth likes this.
  4. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Really mrp? That's awesome :) I thinks he writes incredibly well - understandable and witty at the same time, and I just thought he would naturally be a great lecturer. You're lucky :)

5. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    E'01 -- I'll move the thread for ya. ;)

One of my biggest regrets of college was that I didn't take a class with Sapolsky, especially his Human Behavioral Biology class. Most of my friends who took it loved him and the class.

6. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ah I didn't know you went to Stanford Lilycat. Cool :) I didn't go there, but I wish I had taken advantage of the many cool classes at my undergrad before I left. Thanks for your imput and moving the thread over here!

7. Sonic Hedgehog

Sonic Hedgehog MSTP guru
    7+ Year Member

I'm at Stanford right now, and I LOVE Sapolsky. You guys should read his new book "A primate's memoir" -- it's fantastic.

I had him for both the sophomore year Biology Core where he taught the segment on Neurobiology, and also for Human Behavioral Biology, which was perhaps the class that I best enjoyed. I think he's definitely the best teacher I've had here.

Go Sapolsky!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

9. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i thought of that before you. after reading his zebra book, i emailed him and asked if i could come. he said he only takes his wife and hires a few africans when he's on location. otherwise, no grad students or undergrads. sorry.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Sapolsky is an awesome professor! I had him for the Biology Core segment on neuro, the Human Behavioral Biology class, and then I took a seminar class that he taught my senior year. He is one of the most popular profs around campus, and there are a ton of non-biology/hum bio majors that take his behavioral biology class just for the experience. While he is an amazing lecturer, I do have to say that his seminar really took the cake. If it is still being taught, I would recommend to anyone who's now at Stanford to definitely enroll in that course! (if you can -- it was always really popular)

He is also a bit eccentric, which always makes things interesting. If you've ever seen a picture of him, he has a really bushy beard, longer curly hair, and he always wears either jeans or running shorts to class. :)