dartmed

7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2010
574
42
Status
Medical Student
All right - I am stuck in a situation. I heard back from one of my mentors that would be willing to mentor me on my book for a year after my senior year. He/she is at a major university (people would recognize it) in England. If I were to apply next year, my application would be a bit stronger (I have around a 3.7, but it would go up to a 3.8)...but it would be unimaginably expensive to fly back-and-forth from England for interviews. Should I apply this year and defer? Or apply next year? How do I go about this issue?

I talked to some students and mentors of mine, and they say to apply this year if my MCAT is strong enough (will know in a little bit). I wanted to gather the opinion of others in the SDN community. What are your thoughts?

I think the rest of my application is strong, but I am little afraid that my GPA will hold me back at some schools and will not warrant a thorough look into the rest of my application.
 

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
9,949
9,798
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A 3.7 is a great GPA, it won't hold you back from most schools. If your main concern is traveling for interviews, I can say that I met a couple applicants on the interview trail who were studying abroad for the semester (one in India, one in Germany) and scheduled all their interviews in a 2-week window of time so they only had to fly in once.
 

Oxygen206

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2008
346
2
Virginia
Status
Medical Student
All right - I am stuck in a situation. I heard back from one of my mentors that would be willing to mentor me on my book for a year after my senior year. He/she is at a major university (people would recognize it) in England. If I were to apply next year, my application would be a bit stronger (I have around a 3.7, but it would go up to a 3.8)...but it would be unimaginably expensive to fly back-and-forth from England for interviews. Should I apply this year and defer? Or apply next year? How do I go about this issue?

I talked to some students and mentors of mine, and they say to apply this year if my MCAT is strong enough (will know in a little bit). I wanted to gather the opinion of others in the SDN community. What are your thoughts?

I think the rest of my application is strong, but I am little afraid that my GPA will hold me back at some schools and will not warrant a thorough look into the rest of my application.
If one of your life goals is that book, then don't apply until after you finish it. Sounds like a really cool opportunity.

Don't apply with the intention to defer. It is my impression that is not highly regarded...

A 0.1 GPA difference is relatively negligible. Hard to say without knowing your MCAT score though. I would say apply if you're willing to commit to attending the following fall. Otherwise take a year off and then apply. In the long run, one year delay isn't going to make much of a difference.