1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

to take again or not to

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by rCubed, Oct 14, 2002.

1. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

well, i caved and checked my scores on line, couldn't help myself. and now the question is whether i should take it again or not.
    i got a 32 R ( 10V 10B 12 P). i realize that's a good score but i was doing much better on the practice exams...around 37's and the morning of the mcats, i threw up twice before the exam started and once during it.

i think i could do better if i took it again, but i don't think i'll have that much time to devote since i'll be taking biochem and pharmacology. I could drop one of those classes to devote more time to mcats, but then i won't be graduating early (i'd love a semester off between school and med school)

or should i just concentrate on improving my application in areas i know i'm really lacking
    any advice welcome
    peace

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wouldn't take it again if I were you. You won't be eliminated satistically when applying, so you should just focus on improving other aspects of your application.

and by the way, congrats on your 32

4. vm26

vm26 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    rCubed
    I live in NY as well and got the same score on the august MCAT, I was hoping to to do a little better as well. If you are applying to the schools in NYC, your scores are right about their averages (Einstein-31, NYU-32, Cornell-33), if the rest of your application is weaker than average then you might want to re-take in april but at this point it would push everything back a yearl. Good luck.

5. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

thanks barakutha,

i'm a junior at this point, so time isn't really an issue.
    i have a pretty good gpa and strong research background, i think all i need is some clinical background, i think i'll just spend extra time working at the hospital instead of stressing out about the mcats.

vm26, r u planning on applying to all the ny schools? good luck with interveiws, if ur applying right now

6. vm26

vm26 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm applying to all the privates in NYC except Columbia, I'm also applying to NY Med College in Westchester, downstate, and stonybrook. If I have my choice I'm leaning towards a state school unless one of the privates offer a great aid package. I'm a non traditional applicant so it will be interesting to see what my options will be, I may also apply to NYCOMM if I dont get interviews to allo's

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

only retake if you want to improve chances @ a top 10-15