To take Ecology or not to take ecology...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rikibamboo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in a year. Taking a year off afterwards. Don't really intend to stick around my university once I graduate though. Found out that I only need Ecology to get a minor in Biology. I'm already getting a minor in Chemistry from premed stuff.

Although, I want to do a lot more shadowing/volunteering/organization stuff for the next year. I'm also taking an independent study for my last two semesters along with a year-long MCAT prep class.

Thing is, if I were to take Ecology in the Fall (Spring semester is out since my coursework would be too overwhelming) I'll be taking 19 credit hours. I've done 19 credits before (an over-load for my university) and I feel that I can handle it but I'm almost sure all my ECs will be affected by it. On the other hand, there's also no guarantee that I'll have the time to really participate in my ECs by not taking Ecology - my independent study/MCAT stuff might be the ones that get in the way - at least with Ecology I'll have something concrete to show (double minor).

I posted something alluding to this in another thread but I wanted to go into more detail and hopefully get some advice. Even just a comment on whether taking Ecology (and knowing that I'll have something to show for my efforts) is worth it. Or is not taking it and dedicating more time to other things that I want to do before I graduate (though I may not have much to show for it) a better path to take?

Edit: I also want to add that by taking Ecology, I may not be able to do as much stuff for my independent study that I am doing for a lab that I've been working with. I am hoping to get into a medical-related research program after I graduate for my gap year. Having more time to work in the lab means I can get more experience in research (possibly get a few noteworthy projects out of it) and have a better chance of getting into year-long programs when I graduate. Then again, this is not a guarantee.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would skip the ecology. I personally have no interest in most sciences that are non-medically related and would hate to take a pointless class I have no interest in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I'd not take it and concentrate on pwning the MCAT.

:thumbup: i agree. unless you're really interested in ecology, and think you'll personally get something out of the class - don't take it. a second minor really means nothing

:thumbup: i agree. unless you're really interested in ecology, and think you'll personally get something out of the class - don't take it. a second minor really means nothing

I was planning on take this class too, but does anyone know if this class counts for bcpm gpa?

I was planning on take this class too, but does anyone know if this class counts for bcpm gpa?
It definitely does if it's listed under your school's Biology department. I took it last semester (it was an upper level Bio class), and it counted for my BCPM.
It was an okay class, I mainly took it because it counted to fill my Marine Biology concentration.