To take one gap year or two?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepediatrician99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a second semester junior. I was planning on taking a gap year and studying for my MCATs this summer and taking them in the fall.
Due to circumstances, it seems that taking two years off may be necessary to boost my GPA.

My question is:
Will taking the MCATs early fall of 2015 be fine if I want to take two gap years?
Or will it be cutting it too close and be expired by the time I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're gonna take two gap years, you can probably wait longer. However, if most of your classes right now are pertinent to the MCAT, it might be a good idea to do sooner rather than later. MCAT scores generally last 3 years after the score was obtained.

@Hospitalized I will have just finished Biochem I, which will be my final prereq. I wanted to study this summer so that it will be fresh in my mind.
Is it 3 years when you apply? If so, this should be okay right?....... getting a little scared here :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You would take the MCAT in Fall 2015. This is your first gap year (the 2015-2016 cycle). The second gap year is the 2016-2017 cycle. You would then apply the 2017-2018 cycle, therefore your score would still be good.

Also look on the website of the schools you're applying to. A lot of them say specifically how old of an MCAT score they accept. Some schools don't accept score older than 2 years old.

Reactions: 1 user
Gap years can be awesome. Gives you tons of time to grow into into your personality. I took one myself and was able to meet a lot of interesting and good people and find my passion in life.

Reactions: 1 users
I took 2.5 gap years, and it was a great time for me to grow personally. I took my MCAT in the fall of 2013, and I'll matriculate this summer, which seems similar to your timing. Check into what toffee_bloom said, but you should be alright at most schools IMO. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users