To take Pass/Fail or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I am taking the April 2003 MCAT and I just have some questions about next semester's schedule. I will be taking Physics II, Genetics, Cell Bio, and French Lit. I was thinking about taking the Cell Bio pass/fail. Although it can count for my major, I will be taking BioChem next year, which fulfills the same area requirement for the Bio major at my school. I will be taking BioChem for credit. So, what should I do? What do you think of my schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it is just my opinion..but I think you've got a tough schedule there for taking the MCAT in April...The hardest class I took spring semester was Biochem..the rest were upper level courses for my major (psychology) and a health systems sociology class.....I felt I had quite a bit of studying time with that schedule...Are there any other classes you could take? If not, good luck...I think the genetics would definitely help you out for the MCAT, since they are supposed to have changed the biosci section a bit this year...

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldn't advise taking cell bio for p/f. if u must take classe for p/f, take a non-sci class.

Hmm, I think that that is not only too heavy a schedule for the April MCAT but that you won't have finished enough subjects prior to taking the MCAT if you are still doing Phys2, Cell bio, genetics. You will only be mid way through the material when you take the MCAT and you need time to review, not study the remaining subjects for the first time ahead of the class schedule and review in time for the MCAT. I also don't think taking cell bio p/f is a good idea because of all the subjects you are going to have to know that one inside out for the MCAT anyway! (so if you're going to have to fully study it - take it for a grade and get an 'A') and besides I don't think it looks good to take basic science classes p/f.

You are taking biochem next year so you must have another year to go at least so - I would take the cell bio for a grade and forget about trying to do the MCAT in April and do it in August.

The MCAT in April is on the first day after spring classes end for me, so I will have finished all my classes. I will have had plenty of time to review because I am taking a MCAT review course. Would you recommend me dropping cell bio?

Originally posted by JulianCrane
The MCAT in April is on the first day after spring classes end for me, so I will have finished all my classes. I will have had plenty of time to review because I am taking a MCAT review course. Would you recommend me dropping cell bio?

Just because you are taking an MCAT class, does not automatically mean that you will have plenty of time to review. To really use a course effectively you must do all of the practice problems outside of class, which amounts to about 2 hours per class. My class met 4 times a week, so that meant at least 8-10 extra hours a week, in addition to the class time. And I wish I had studied even more. My situation was a little different, though. Since I took the premed coursework over 7 years ago I had to do some HEAVY review.

Regarding your coursework, I would recommend taking the lightest load possible that includes Physics II, since that will certainly be on the MCAT. You really do not need the advanced courses for the course, though some would argue that they help. I had taken genetics, but I don't think that it really helped, since the genetics on the exam was similar to what we covered in my 1 year of biology. The course that would have helped me the most would have been a physiology course.

If I were you (and I am not) I would drop the Cell Bio, and consider replacing the Genetics with a physio course. Physio is not required, of course,and I got a 10 without it, but it would have been nice. Or I would take the tougher courseload, take no courses over the summer,and take the August MCAT. You need to commit to this test over everything else, since it is so important.

If you take the August one, you must also commit to having the secondaries COMPLETE by the end of September. This means submitting your primary by August 1, so that you can get verified, transmitted, and can receive secondaries with enough time to complete them by October 1.

I think I am gonna stick with my schedule. I have to take genetics for my major and cell bio is just another course that fulfills an area of the bio major. I know that the MCAT is a very important test; however, I'm not gonna put my life on hold for it. I think I do better when I have a nice full plate anyway.

With 4 classes, your schedule isn't that heavy. As a rule, cell bio shouldn't be taken P/F, especially given your courseload.

Take cell bio for a grade. Seriously.

Good luck,
doepug