1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

to take the mcat or not

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by vdubpower, Jul 9, 2001.

1. vdubpower

vdubpower Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

my friend is applyin this year to DO and MD, he has a 26 and 28, and a 3.4 from ucla,

he has sent in his DO application and will do his md one soon,
    im telling him he sh0uld be able to get into the do school without takin the mcat again, but now he is leanin towards takin it

i told him this will stall his Do application process, is this tru
    can he not tell the DO people he took it, and just the mD people,

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If your friend has applied to take the MCAT's again already, aren't the schools going to see it any way that he's already signed up for another go around with the MCAT's? Your score reports shows all that you've done with MCAT's....

If your friend has a 26 before I can see a real good potential of getting in.... It's never a guarantee and that's what's probably eating him.... Personally, I would go ahead and not take the MCAT's over again....

I've seen lower scores get in.... With his GPA and depending on his experiences then I see a real possibility of getting in....

To answer whether or not it'll delay his process if he does retake it, I'm really not sure....

Just my two cents of course.... Just don't stop him from doing what he wants to do.... You don't want him to come back to you and say... "You told me not to take it and now I'm not accepted."

You can tell him that Popoy :D told you that he has a good chance :D If that counts for anything.... Then he can blame someone he doesn't personally know....

Good luck to your friend....

4. j8463dp

j8463dp Member
    7+ Year Member

This is the age-old question that everyone usually has to face. If he has already signed up for it, go at it full steam! From my experience, if he has already gone up 2 points that is very good and taking it over and over isn't going to raise your score that much. Now if there is a very low score in one area, by all means try to raise it. Remember that by taking it over there is always the chance that you get a lower score. As terrible as it would be, it is possible and explaining that is tough. I went down in one section after raising my total score by one and I was questioned heavily by MD schools. The only DO school that I applied to NOVA did not care, they were the only school out of many to look at me as a person and not a MCAT & GPA who could talk. They told me that my scores were good enough and that from the interview on they did not matter. Again this was my own experience. Good luck and remember BE PERSISTANT!! IT WILL PAY OFF!

5. vdubpower

vdubpower Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

thanks guys

he hasnt signed up for the test yet, i told him how his interview is the most important factor esp, with DO schools, i think if he wants a shot at md schools , is why he wants to take it again, but otherwise for DOs i think he is set

6. pjyrkinen

pjyrkinen Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

The Mcat is hard enough. But if your friend feels that by retaking the coarse will help by all means do so. Practice makes perfect. Nail the verbal reasoning, the rest should come pretty easy . Your writing sample is also a plus. I was told that if you scored a 12 on verbal reasoning and an8 or higher ,on every thing else. that there isn't to much to worry about. Your friend might also tell the school that he is applying to that he is considering retaking the test, and see what they have to say . It doesnt hurt to pick up the phone and call the dean of student affairs. ;)

7. Bubba

Bubba Member
    10+ Year Member

hmm...
    I don't think so. A girl that I work with got a 15 (yes, that is a 15!!!) on the VR and a 10 in the other two sections and she didn't get in anywhere. She didn't even get a single interview. I think her GPA was around a 3.5 but it was from a small, no-where school in Washington State.
    No, I don't know to which schools she applied.
    She is now getting her Ph.D, which is probably best because she isn't really a people person.
    Obviously, the MCAT isn't everything.

8. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Bubba,

What was her extra-curricular exposure like? Did she volunteer anywhere or have any research to round out her application? I find it hard to believe (I'm not saying you're lying) that a person with those "stats" didn't even get an interview. There must have been a serious problem somewhere in her application. If she got a 35 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA, but no interviews...there must have been something seriously wrong with her application! My guess is that she was missing the "well-rounding" stuff like volunteering or shadowing experiences. Those are taken into account when interviews are granted too, but you probably knew that. Anyways...I can't believe she didn't get in somewhere! That sucks! Hopefully, she'll be happy with her PhD and move on to another successful career! Best Wishes!

P.S. A 15 verbal, theoretically, would help get you into a lot of schools if not ALOT of interviews! I mean..my god!..She aced the verbal section of the MCAT! How many people can say they've done that!? (please don't respond if you have) :D