To take USMLE step II or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DC DOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I am an osteopathic student who took USMLE Step I and did just above average. I am looking to do an allopathic anesthesia residency and was wondering, from those with experience, if taking step II is necessary or if I will be fine with COMLEX II? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP. I'm in the same boat. DO student. If I'm applying Allopathic should I take step 2 having already taken step 1? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BUMP. I'm in the same boat. DO student. If I'm applying Allopathic should I take step 2 having already taken step 1? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I guess we should ask this in the residency forum.

IMO take step II, there will be programs that will want you to have taken usmle step II to be ranked. Also from what I have been reading on SDN and hearing from 4th years, step II scores are becoming more and more important every year. I can see why, as step I just tests the basic sciences while step II actually measures your ability as a physician. Chances are you will do alot better on the USMLE, because comlex step II is whole lot worse than comlex step I apparently..

Members don't see this ad :)
Is doing combank questions enough for the OPP on step 2?

I just used that green Savarse OMT review book for a quick review before levels 1 & 2. I don't like doing question banks so can't comment on those. But you can get through the book VERY quickly.

To the OP's question: It's really just up to you. I didn't apply to gas so certainly not up on program preferences. Have a few friends applying to allo gas and some took step 2 and some didn't..... I think it's even less clear about whether to take it as compared to step 1 at this time, though as someone already mentioned, that could be changing if places are placing more importance on it.

Since you did above average on step 1 then I'd say you stand a good chance of doing well on it. I only took USMLE step 1, but based on that experience I have no doubt that USMLE 2 is a much better written test than COMLEX 2.