To the April/May/June testers - how did you feel when you finished your exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuResurgens

Newbie!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got done with the MCAT yesterday. When I got done, I didn't feel great about it, despite the fact that I've been doing objectively well on my Kaplan and AAMC practice items. However, I felt this way after the AAMC FL and ended up doing very well on that, and it's happened to me with the Q packs and Kaplan tests as well, and while discussing the voiding of tests one of the Kaplan instructors said that you shouldn't void after the test if it felt like it was hard, since that might indicate that you'd done your best work. Seemed somewhat counterintuitive, but I'm wondering how many of you experienced this only to discover that you did better than you expected? Did many of you leave your test feeling like you didn't do as well as you hoped and then found out you were about where your performance during prep had indicated? I'm interested in your perspectives here.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just really glad the whole thing was over (in May). Since no one had their MCAT2015 actual scores out at that point, I really didn't worry too much about trying to interpret how I did. I did as expected on Chem/Phys and CARS and better than expected on Bio and Psych/Soc, so better than expected overall. Then again, I am not one that gets super anxious over tests, so I just put it out of my mind and got to work on filling out AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just really glad the whole thing was over (in May). Since no one had their MCAT2015 actual scores out at that point, I really didn't worry too much about trying to interpret how I did. I did as expected on Chem/Phys and CARS and better than expected on Bio and Psych/Soc, so better than expected overall. Then again, I am not one that gets super anxious over tests, so I just put it out of my mind and got to work on filling out AMCAS.

Totally jealous. I get pretty neurotic when I'm waiting for test scores!

Totally jealous. I get pretty neurotic when I'm waiting for test scores!

I was pretty chill until the moment our prelim scores were posted. Then my stomach dropped and I got all jittery before I clicked the link! Keeping busy is a good way to keep the nerves away.

[QUOThE="bee17, post: 16786232, member: 667879"]I was pretty chill until the moment our prelim scores were posted. Then my stomach dropped and I got all jittery before I clicked the link! Keeping busy is a good way to keep the nerves away.[/QUOTE]

Yep that is exactly how I was. I happened to have the day off of work the day prelims came out so I didn't stress about it before they became available.
That is very sound advice. Stay busy or you will drive yourself crazy.

As far as my test goes, I felt very good about the first 3 sections but definitely felt worse about the last due to exhaustion. But overall I just felt happy to be over with it.

So I havent taken the new MCAT, but let me tell you I've been surfing these forums for a long time now and it seems for several years, most people who do well on this test ACTUALLY FEEL like they FAILED it.

Its not uncommon for people to get an actual score 7-8 points higher than their post test self projected score. Same thing happened to me.

Reactions: 1 users
So I havent taken the new MCAT, but let me tell you I've been surfing these forums for a long time now and it seems for several years, most people who do well on this test ACTUALLY FEEL like they FAILED it.

Its not uncommon for people to get an actual score 7-8 points higher than their post test self projected score. Same thing happened to me.

god I hope this is the case...every day that passes the more I think I might have failed even more

I feel like this might be the case too - wanted to see if that's what happened in others' experience as well. Let's hope it does! I just need to try and find shadowing opportunities until Sept. 8 I guess.

What about people who felt good about the test? Did they actually do badly or were they more or less right about having done well?

What about people who felt good about the test? Did they actually do badly or were they more or less right about having done well?

This is also a good question. I can't speak for the real thing but I remember with some of my FLs, some of the tests I felt worst about ended up being my best scores, but tests I felt ok-to-good about didn't necessarily end up as my lowest scores. It might have to do with the fact that many of us are pretty hard on ourselves so doing better than expected is a lot more common than doing worse than expected

I did pretty well, and afterward I felt cautiously optimistic. I never felt 100% confident, but I was hopeful that I had gotten the score I wanted. Also, I could only remember a few questions that I knew I had missed. Obviously there were others that I knew I guessed on. I was cautious though because I had a couple physics exams in undergrad that I thought I did well on and then got in the 60's. So I was gun shy :)