Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

To the EMT's...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by You Think I'm Sexy, Dec 27, 2001.

1. You Think I'm Sexy

You Think I'm Sexy Junior Member

I'll have my EMT certification in about 4 months, and I was wondering what, if anything, you did with it... I was thinking about working as an Emergency Department Technician in a local ER, but right after I get my cert., I'll graduate with my BS, and I know that I can get a higher paying job -- are there volunteer EMT jobs out there?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mire

Mire Member

although your emt is a nice resume booster, and it can help you get a hospital tech job, it can't do much else. An emt cert and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee...maybe. Don't have any delusions, and get to work in a place that offers the most patient contact and learning.

4. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.

Pre-Veterinary
    I concur. You should work at the ER for at least until you turn in your primary application. Then you can have a year to earn money before going to medical school.
    Think of it this way, you might be sacrificing 3,000$ in the next year, but if the extra experience will help you get into a school that is about 5 places better it could be worth it and more. If that school means that you can make an extra 1,000$ a year, you could make 40,000$ more over your career.

5. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]

6. Also, a higher paying job during your year off might bite you in the butt when you apply for financial aid.

7. gg

gg Member

I actually quit my well-paying job (as an RF Design Engineer), got the EMT-B license, and started working as a Tech in the Emergency Department. Yes, the pay as an engineer was almost three times as much as what I am getting right now, but the experience gained so far in the ED is priceless.

8. calaxer19

calaxer19 Senior Member

I hate to jump in with my own newbie question, but I have been an EMT-B since the summer and i'd like to become an ER "tech".

Are there any classes I should take before I inquire about such a position? Maybe something like phlebotomy?

9. gg

gg Member

Calaxer19,

I don't think you need any extra classes to become an ER Tech. You have your EMT license and that should be enough. I know there are hospitals that will even take people for ER Tech positions without requiring EMT license (they will train you). As for the phlebotomy skills, it always helps to have some prior experience (etc. class) but I think that for the most part they will train you how to draw blood. At my hospital, they sent me to the phlebotomy department and for three days I was with a phlebotomist who taught me how to do draw blood. Besides that, they sent me to the EKG class so I learn how to interpret electrocardiograms (since I do 12-lead EKGs) and in February I will take an ACLS course (so I know what and why things done during a cardiac arrest).

10. junger

junger Junior Member

One option is to work part-time as an EMT while working a full-time job. For the past year, while going to grad school full-time, I worked at least one night a week and sometimes weekends as an EMT-B for a local ambulance company.

While the pay is pretty poor, you'd be a part of a valuable service to the community and it's always nice to know what happens in the pre-hospital setting not to mention becoming comfortable with patient contact... For me, exposure to what goes on in the ED has been minimal but it may be different elsewhere.

Good luck! -Joshua

11. You Think I'm Sexy

You Think I'm Sexy Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your responses! I think the best bet for me right now would be part time - then when I get a full time job, continue part time time...

Happy New Year!! :)

12. calaxer19

calaxer19 Senior Member

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to be applying to the campus, student run EMS service but if that falls through, I think I'll look into an ER tech position.

I'd love to work partime for AMR, but not having a car, transportation is a major issue :(

Happy new years!

13. Hi Everybody

Hi Everybody Junior Member

Mire,
    Are you even an EMT? If you are not, then your comments are not accurate and just. If you are, then I am sorry that you have not had good experiences with your EMT cert.

My advice to all is that if you have an EMT-B cert then do something with it! Don't just use it as something to put on your resume. Otherwise, all it will do is just by a cup of coffee.

Volunteer at a clinic, concerts/festivals, football games, fun runs, etc. Work in an ER or volunteer/work for a service. The experience is invaluable like the others have said.

14. EMTgirl

EMTgirl Member

i work parttime as an EMT (on an ambulance) and part time in the ER as a tech. honestly, the experience has been so good even though the money sucks. the ER has been great because i can hang around doctors and see what they do, and the ambulance has been great because i can actually have my own patients and interact with them. it is really some good insight on who your patients will eventually be...the diversity is sometimes shocking. although the pay does suck, i work tons of hours because shifts are always available at the ER and on the ambulance. and you DON'T need any special classes to be a tech, you only need to be an EMT. i am the only tech in my hospital who even has a college education. they are both great jobs and the people i work with are really fun.