keara7282

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Status
Hello all,

I plan on moving to Bloomington early may, and I am just completely unsure on where to live. My husband and I are interested in buying a house, but I wasn't quite sure just how hectic the drive to campus might be? The few houses that were near campus were just plain scary (next door neighbors had a vast variety of empty kegs sprinkled around the porch!) :laugh: LOL!!!! Not that I have anything against the party scene (cause I was once there myself)! I just know I'll be studying like crazy for the next 2-3 years of my life! Just wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on where/where not someone completely new to the Bloomington area should consider living.

Tom_Stickel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
keara7282 said:
Hello all,

I plan on moving to Bloomington early may, and I am just completely unsure on where to live. My husband and I are interested in buying a house, but I wasn't quite sure just how hectic the drive to campus might be? The few houses that were near campus were just plain scary (next door neighbors had a vast variety of empty kegs sprinkled around the porch!) :laugh: LOL!!!! Not that I have anything against the party scene (cause I was once there myself)! I just know I'll be studying like crazy for the next 2-3 years of my life! Just wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on where/where not someone completely new to the Bloomington area should consider living.
Keara,

I graduated in '01, so I don't know how current my info is, but here goes...the majority of people lived south of campus, which is handy, since the school is on the extreme southern edge of campus. The drive to campus from the south (up Henderson Ave, I think) is not hectic at all, because you never really drive on campus. Parking is the problem. You can spring for a parking pass and park caddy corner to the school in the garage, or else park at the public park 1/2 mile south of the school and walk (about 10 minutes). Neither of these options involve much traffic if you live on the south side. If you live east, west, or especially north, you'll have to cross campus. Lots of faculty live south and southeast, so there are some nicer areas. Southwest of the school is also OK, but it's mostly rental properties.

Honestly, this is small town Indiana. There's really never a rush hour in the traditional sense, at least compared to big city traffic. The big problem isn't driving, it's the parking anywhere on campus. If you TA a class (which you can do once you're a second year) you can spend a little extra and get a higher quality (i.e. more locations) parking pass.

Being a college town, the houses around campus aren't always the highest quality. If you get south or southeast a little things are nicer. Good luck with your search.

Tom Stickel
Indiana U. 2001

kaostonite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Vancouver
Status
Along the lines of keara's questions above,

I'm looking to move to Bloomington by August and was wondering where the majority of opt. students live - on-campus or off-campus. The central and southeast neighbourhoods seem close and look good however I'm wondering from past students if living by yourself off-campus will be better/easier academically. I hear IU has it's fair share of parties and therefore living on-campus might be tougher, however I would like to not have to worry bout meals, cleaning, renting furniture, etc., etc.

As of now, I'm looking to move into a single room residence hall - perhaps Wilkie or Eigenmann ??

Any suggestions - advice ??

Thanks

file014

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
Status
What Tom said.

And I sent you both private messages...