TO the premed/med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charlie murphy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
to the people accepted to med school and the current med students, what were your act/sat score?

Members don't see this ad.

770math/ 630 verbal

damn words.....

Members don't see this ad :)
35 750/750

real question, why?

Im just curious for a few reasons. Mainly because i never finished highschool, took 2 semesters of CC, which i got mainly nothing but Ws and a few Fs because of some underlining issues/circumstances. Always aspired to be a doc, knowing what it takes, but never considered it because you know, i never even finished highschool. Been doing some serious soul searching this last year and decided im going to become a doc no matter what because i really dont want to grow an old hag and die unhappy with my life because i never gave it a shot. I want to take and score well on the act/sat so i dont have to go the CC route and transfer. I want to go straight into a decent college and forget about my 2 semesters of Ws and Fs and do great in college, then when applying to med school (knowing the 2 semesters will hugely affect my GPA) hope they will forget about them also and focus on how well ive done in college. Having dropped out in the 10th grade, i feel i need to score well on the act/sat to prove to myself that i can succeed in college and be up to par with everything i missed in highschool. Im scared to death that if i just jump into a college (like i never missed out on a highschool education) that i will be completely clueless and fail, thus completely shattering my dreams forever. By telling me yalls act/sat scores i have something to shoot for, atleast i feel so.

Sorry about the long response, but i felt your question to be a great opportunity to vent. Also thank you for responding to my thread

because i really dont want to grow an old hag and die unhappy with my life

wait...this is not the future that awaits me in medicine? OK, that's it...I'm done with this.

:D

I think what you are doing is great. Don't get hung up on the SAT or ACT though....studying for one single, hours-long test is not the same as college. I, for one, hate these standardized tests but I really enjoyed the academics in college. Keep up the dream and the hard work and things will fall into place sooner or later!

like every single person before me has said... if you want it enough, you will get it

Members don't see this ad :)
790 math/690 verbal (1480 total)

600M/670V... I think.

I'm the dumbest on this forum, apparently :laugh:

Im just curious for a few reasons. Mainly because i never finished highschool, took 2 semesters of CC, which i got mainly nothing but Ws and a few Fs because of some underlining issues/circumstances. Always aspired to be a doc, knowing what it takes, but never considered it because you know, i never even finished highschool. Been doing some serious soul searching this last year and decided im going to become a doc no matter what because i really dont want to grow an old hag and die unhappy with my life because i never gave it a shot. I want to take and score well on the act/sat so i dont have to go the CC route and transfer. I want to go straight into a decent college and forget about my 2 semesters of Ws and Fs and do great in college, then when applying to med school (knowing the 2 semesters will hugely affect my GPA) hope they will forget about them also and focus on how well ive done in college. Having dropped out in the 10th grade, i feel i need to score well on the act/sat to prove to myself that i can succeed in college and be up to par with everything i missed in highschool. Im scared to death that if i just jump into a college (like i never missed out on a highschool education) that i will be completely clueless and fail, thus completely shattering my dreams forever. By telling me yalls act/sat scores i have something to shoot for, atleast i feel so.

Sorry about the long response, but i felt your question to be a great opportunity to vent. Also thank you for responding to my thread

You're going to need high school math and writing skills for college. Getting good test scores won't prove that. You're probably going to need to get a GED before you start taking college courses. Good luck. Its a marathon. Just keep at it day to day and you'll achieve your goals.

it's always amusing how mods will completely ignore the fact that a thread is way off topic and irrelevant if it gives them a chance to stroke their own egos

OP, your post has absolutely nothing to do with premed, medical school, or this forum but rather has to do with college admissions. your question is essentially "how high does my ACT/SAT score have to be to get accepted to college?" .....this group of people is probably the least equipped to answer this question...this issue is also very school specific.

finally, i will not tell you my SAT score because that become completely irrelevant once i matriculated at an ivy league college....just as my MCAT score will become completely irrelevant once i matriculate at med school. Also, knowing the scores of a bunch of random people on a pre-med forum doesn't help you one bit.

good luck to you sir. :luck:

gosh....so long ago!!!

680 Verbal :mad:
760 Math

OP, your post has absolutely nothing to do with premed, medical school, or this forum but rather has to do with college admissions. your question is essentially "how high does my ACT/SAT score have to be to get accepted to college?" ....

Not really, maybe if you reread it a few times you wouldnt think so, let me further explain myself..

I am sure i could get into a college with a lower act score, my question focuses more on the act/sat score of people who have excelled enough in college to gain an acceptance into medical school. For example: if i got into a college with an act score of 18 i doubt that i would be able do well enough throughout college to actually make it into medschool, generally speaking..Im sure it has/can be done.

If you see what im saying now, im using peoples act/sat scores as a base of general academic knowledge by which is high enough to jump into college and excell. So that i can have a score to shoot for in order to give me an idea of whether or not i would have the same academic skills/knowledge as someone who just finished highschool and were able to excell throughout college/and eventually get into medical school. Do you kind of see what im saying now? I want to feel caught up (academically speaking) enough to go to college and not be completly clueless, lossed and far behind.

Of course this is all generally speaking, i sure people have gotten into college with low act/sat scores and still did great and eventually made it to medschool. Like i said before, im scared to death of getting into a college and not being on the same level of someone who graduated from highschool and being completely clueless and flunking out. If you still dont understand i really dont think i can break it down anymore.

But i do believe this thread does belong here in the premed/medical school forums, because like i said before im not interested in act/sat scores of people who got into college, but more of people who got into college and were able to do well enough and excell in order to gain acceptance into medical school.

Are you shooting for a mod position or something by the way?
Also the whole, "I will NOT tell you my scores" :confused: I just felt that to be a little douchy, u might not have intended it to be that way but yea...

BTW thanks for the :luck:

Not really, maybe if you reread it a few times you wouldnt think so, let me further explain myself..

I am sure i could get into a college with a lower act score, my question focuses more on the act/sat score of people who have excelled enough in college to gain an acceptance into medical school. For example: if i got into a college with an act score of 18 i doubt that i would be able do well enough throughout college to actually make it into medschool, generally speaking..Im sure it has/can be done.

If you see what im saying now, im using peoples act/sat scores as a base of general academic knowledge by which is high enough to jump into college and excell. So that i can have a score to shoot for in order to give me an idea of whether or not i would have the same academic skills/knowledge as someone who just finished highschool and were able to excell throughout college/and eventually get into medical school. Do you kind of see what im saying now? I want to feel caught up (academically speaking) enough to go to college and not be completly clueless, lossed and far behind.

Of course this is all generally speaking, i sure people have gotten into college with low act/sat scores and still did great and eventually made it to medschool. Like i said before, im scared to death of getting into a college and not being on the same level of someone who graduated from highschool and being completely clueless and flunking out. If you still dont understand i really dont think i can break it down anymore.

But i do believe this thread does belong here in the premed/medical school forums, because like i said before im not interested in act/sat scores of people who got into college, but more of people who got into college and were able to do well enough and excell in order to gain acceptance into medical school.

wow...ok...hmm....i totally understand what you were trying to get at however your premise is wrong because there is little to no correlation between ACT/SAT score and performance in college. not to mention, obviously this thread will be dominated by people who did really well on the ACT/SAT because they will see it as a chance to stroke their egos a bit.

also the fact that it took you four full paragraphs to try to make your point is ridiculous

Are you shooting for a mod position or something by the way?

absolutely not.....i have real responsibilities in real life and other things to fill my time with...i don't need to police an internet forum to feel accomplished

Also the whole, "I will NOT tell you my scores" :confused: I just felt that to be a little douchy, u might not have intended it to be that way but yea...

way to take it out of context....now to put it back in context:

i will not tell you my SAT score because that became completely irrelevant once i matriculated at an ivy league college....just as my MCAT score will become completely irrelevant once i matriculate at med school

on the ACT, a 12, maybe? I dunno, I are not good with ACT, how did I get here?

Weird! What were your subscores? Mine were 31,34,35,36/780,720... I can't believe I remember that lol

i had same total but

35,35,35,32 (ran out of time on 3 of the sections lol)
800,700 m,v

it's always amusing how mods will completely ignore the fact that a thread is way off topic and irrelevant if it gives them a chance to stroke their own egos

OP, your post has absolutely nothing to do with premed, medical school, or this forum but rather has to do with college admissions. your question is essentially "how high does my ACT/SAT score have to be to get accepted to college?" .....this group of people is probably the least equipped to answer this question...this issue is also very school specific.

finally, i will not tell you my SAT score because that become completely irrelevant once i matriculated at an ivy league college....just as my MCAT score will become completely irrelevant once i matriculate at med school. Also, knowing the scores of a bunch of random people on a pre-med forum doesn't help you one bit.

good luck to you sir. :luck:
Yet you still have an MDapps up

Here is an anecdotal story for you. A buddy of mine dropped out of high school in 10th grade, took the GED at ~19, started college and got a bunch of F's, Took a year off learned what he wanted and returned to our state school. He has since had a 4.0, ended up with a 33 on the MCAT and just received acceptances from 6 medical schools, 4 of which are ranked very well (>top 50).

Moral of the story, find what you want to do and do it. You don't need a test to prove this to yourself, you just need the determination to follow through. If you do want to take the SAT/ACT and give yourself a chance at a better school you still might have to explain the F's at the CC. I don't think taking a year at a CC, doing some general ed requirements and then transferring is a bad way to go. At the end of the day you will have to do what you think is best for you. But the above story, although anecdotal, clearly demonstrates that it can be done.

...the fact that people are reporting SAT scores >1600 makes me feel old :(

:laugh: Same here, plus my 10yr reunion is coming up this June.

+3

760 Verbal, 750 Math. About the only good thing I have on my app at UF besides my MCAT score =/

a little above 1100 and a little above 3.0 gpa

club soccer took precedence over anything else in elementary/junior/high school

32/1320 I think? It was a long time ago.

I do remember getting a 2170 on the GRE.

If your score is irrelevant then why not put it up???????????????????

32/1320 I think? It was a long time ago.

I do remember getting a 2170 on the GRE.

GRE is out of 1600....sooooo

36 ACT. Didn't take SAT.
But it doesn't matter anymore. Especially now that I'm studying for the MCAT.

I'll have you know that I'm not a moderator of this particular forum. If you have a beef with the thread, report the post and someone will take appropriate action. Which is likely to be nothing.. relax and take a chill pill, don't take the internet so seriously.

I'll have you know that I'm not a moderator of this particular forum. If you have a beef with the thread, report the post and someone will take appropriate action. Which is likely to be nothing.. relax and take a chill pill, don't take the internet so seriously.

I believe you forget....

4455internet_serious_business.JPG

HAHAHA...I think some people have some ACT/SAT issues that they didn't want to be reminded of.

I always like to stroke my ego with my 1210 on the SAT....hmmmmm....tastes gooood!!

Patton-Oswalt-Balls-of-Fury.11.jpg

you have it all wrong...if i actually cared i would have done what you just stated...but in fact i don't give a crap, i just wanted to point something out ....i apologize for being unaware of the sdn hierarchy :laugh:

HAHAHA...I think some people have some ACT/SAT issues that they didn't want to be reminded of.

your post reminded me of this one time in undergrad (engineering school) when a dbag premed kid was trying to convince me to pick him to be a part of my group for a class project instead of a friend of mine (who i really enjoyed working with before) by reminding me that he got a 1600 on his SATs and my friend didn't. for the record this was senior year! later when he was getting really desperate he basically admitted that he wants to join my group because the project was being entered into a national competition and because he needs a good grade on his transcript for med school apps. needless to say it was an easy choice....i picked my friend over him, my whole group got A's and A+'s both semesters and we won a prize in the national competition.