Simplystressed

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
no acceptance and on several waitlists...

just wondering what people in the same position are doing?

do we start working on our application for the next cycle...if so, i honestly don't know what would even be different in my application other than updated grades. i am considering getting a job as a dental assistant in my 'year off.'

my application wasn't processed until mid-november for this cycle. so i'd like to get this next application out asap...which is soooo soon! advice please.

anyone who was in the same boat last year?

Aner

Wizard of Wiggling
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2007
NYC
Status
Pre-Dental
I was in the same situation last year. It was hard because I had to reapply before anything had the chance to change in my application. So basically I applied with the same stats, bur applied super early. Then I shadowed and got a job at a dental office which I was only able to use to my advantage at interviews. Good luck for the next cycle and the remainder of this one

trent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2004
Visit site
Status
For me, it is really strange to be waitlisted at 2 schools. I have no idea how financial aid works as you start to get closer to classes starting. Also, I had hoped to apply for a military scholarship and that looks less and less likely every day. A part of me has to be ready to go this fall, just in case. Of course, this drives my wife crazy too.

I'm reapplying with basically the same stats. I'm adding a couple classes and ECs. Last year, my app. was complete on Oct. 15th. This year it will be complete in May. I hope that helps.

Reapplying shows that you are committed and didn't decide to go into some other career, because you didn't get into dental school on the first try.

Anyway, the positive part of being waitlisted is that if we don't get in this year, but get accepted the followingyear....hopefully hear on December 1st, we will maybe have a couple of choices of schools and also have plenty time to get ready to embark on school in Fall '09, time to be excited about it, and figure out how to pay for it.

Stay optimistic. All will work out in the end. That's what I keep telling myself anyway. :)

About the Ads

phraud

Yes thats me on a unicorn
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Dental Student
I interviewed at 4 schools, and now I'm waitlisted at USC and NYU with no acceptances. I'm in the midst of preparing my application for the next cycle. I just sent in an application for a one-year post bac certificate program, so hopefully I will get accepted into that soon so I can include that on my application. Other than tweaking my personal statement, and doing some dental volunteering, I don't think there's much else I can do. My DAT scores are fine in my opinion, and the post-bac will hopefully cover my slightly below average GPA (that is, if I get in and do well).

Last year, I had my application in on May 15th, but my DAT scores weren't sent in until Aug 6th. In my opinion, I felt like it wasn't too late because I got 4 interviews (3 pre Dec and 1 post Dec).

If anyone has anymore ideas on what we could be doing, and input would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to everyone still waiting, and congrats to those who got in this cycle.

anon1025

10+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
4 Interviews. Waitlisted @ 3. 0 Acceptances. Plan on doing masters if it doesn't work out. :cool:. Good luck to the rest of you!

eventualOMFS

in another life...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Status
Dental Student
Phraud, your stats look pretty similar to mine. I'm surprised (and worried) that you haven't gotten any acceptances. Please keep us posted on what happens.

Best of luck to you!

About the Ads