To those of you who were accepted....

microgal

NYC's Finest
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
New York City
  1. Pre-Medical
    Did you have a general feeling about whether you would be accepted at that school, or was it a complete suprise? I interviewed at a school and I feel like my interview went exceptionally well, but my stats are borderline for that school. I feel like based on my interview they would accept me, but based on stats they wouldn't..... did most of you that got accepted just have stellar interviews or is there pretty much no correlation....

hlchess

10+ Year Member
    Jul 27, 2005
    Ohio
    www.umich.edu
    1. Medical Student
      For me, I have no idea at all. At OSU, which was my first interview, I was REALLY nervous but I ended up getting accepted. At Umich and GW, I thought my interviews went well, but I got waitlisted at both schools. So my conclusion would be that it's all a crapshoot.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Sep 4, 2006
      Orange, CA
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        I think the problem with interviews judging whether you got in or not is that almost everyone feels like they had a good interview. That doesn't mean your interviewer thought the same thing unfortunately.

I felt good about GW, and I got in. But my stats were good for there also.

NYMC I feel good about, but won't know until Dec.

Maybe someone with several invites can give better perspective, but overall I think the applicants feeling after an interview is fairly unreliable.

About the Ads
        T

TPROrgoTutor

For the two schools so far, I had a pretty good idea I woudl be accepted. At FSU the interview went great, was really hopeful. For USF interviews went pretty well and it is my undergrad school, was pretty hopeful.

Stolenspatulas

10+ Year Member
          Sep 5, 2006
          1. Pre-Medical
            after my first listtle bunch of interviews, i felt awesome about 'em. now that a month or so has gone by... i can only think of potential minor flaws about 'em... or maybe things i should have worded differently, etc.

its funny how nothing has changed since my interview and yet my perspective has run around in circles from confident to pessimistic. there's no point speculating. thats my point.

(and you know when people say they did well and didnt get in... maybe they're not good at reading how well their interview went... maybe that was at a school that downweights interviews respective to the norm....

and you know when people say they did not do well and did get in... maybe again they're not good at reading how well their interview went... maybe again that was at a school that downweights interviews respective to the norm...)

thoffen

10+ Year Member
            Aug 14, 2006
            1. Attending Physician
              This is just an opinion from someone who hasn't gone through the interview process so take it FWIW. I have read enough posts, been on enough interviews, and been involved in scholarship and hiring interviews so I know how it goes in general, though.

Your impression is not well correlated because interviewers look for personality and down-to-earth honest answers instead of pre-programmed sucking up. Whether or not someone likes you as a person has a great deal of weight.

somemaybedoc

ms0
              10+ Year Member
              7+ Year Member
              Jul 4, 2006
              Texas
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                after my first listtle bunch of interviews, i felt awesome about 'em. now that a month or so has gone by... i can only think of potential minor flaws about 'em... or maybe things i should have worded differently, etc.

its funny how nothing has changed since my interview and yet my perspective has run around in circles from confident to pessimistic. there's no point speculating. thats my point.

I know exactly what you mean, I always am thinking about the parts that could have been better, but right after I walked out I felt awesome.

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
                10+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                Sep 22, 2006
                East Coast
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  This is just an opinion from someone who hasn't gone through the interview process so take it FWIW. I have read enough posts, been on enough interviews, and been involved in scholarship and hiring interviews so I know how it goes in general, though.

Your impression is not well correlated because interviewers look for personality and down-to-earth honest answers instead of pre-programmed sucking up. Whether or not someone likes you as a person has a great deal of weight.

Be careful, as a medical school interview is quite different than a job interview. Most job interviews, for instance are focused on technical skills, finding out experience, etc., whereas a medical school interview is to get much more of a holistic look, and as you said, determine one's level of humanity/charisma.

Baylor College of Medicine was my first interview, but I did interview there early (first day). The interview didn't go horribly or anything, but now with 6 more interviews under my belt, I see it could have gone better. I did get an acceptance at Baylor. University of Michigan was my second, I would say it went better than Baylor. The student interview was fantastic, but I'd say the faculty interview was a hard read and could have been more excellent. I got accepted at U of M. I knew my Michigan State interview went Horrible with the student interviewer (he was a really awkward M1), but okay with the faculty. Haven't heard back from them...

I guess I haven't had enough feedback from schools (no rejections yet) to fully forumlate a better idea. I do think that we overestimate how well interviews go, though. I don't think the process itself is a craphshoot, but I'd say an applicant's evaluation of one's own interview is.

thoffen

10+ Year Member
                  Aug 14, 2006
                  1. Attending Physician
                    Be careful, as a medical school interview is quite different than a job interview. Most job interviews, for instance are focused on technical skills, finding out experience, etc., whereas a medical school interview is to get much more of a holistic look, and as you said, determine one's level of humanity/charisma.

Baylor College of Medicine was my first interview, but I did interview there early (first day). The interview didn't go horribly or anything, but now with 6 more interviews under my belt, I see it could have gone better. I did get an acceptance at Baylor. University of Michigan was my second, I would say it went better than Baylor. The student interview was fantastic, but I'd say the faculty interview was a hard read and could have been more excellent. I got accepted at U of M. I knew my Michigan State interview went Horrible with the student interviewer (he was a really awkward M1), but okay with the faculty. Haven't heard back from them...

I guess I haven't had enough feedback from schools (no rejections yet) to fully forumlate a better idea. I do think that we overestimate how well interviews go, though. I don't think the process itself is a craphshoot, but I'd say an applicant's evaluation of one's own interview is.

Thanks for the insight. I think it was dumb for me to write my original post as it is an uninformed opinion, but I do agree that people don't put enough emphasis on their humanity/charisma, as you put it. That goes for both med students and job hopefuls.

Homer Simpson

10+ Year Member
                    Apr 16, 2006
                    1. Pre-Medical
                      I tend to be pretty hard on myself, so after every single interview I thought of a thousand ways in which I could have done better. So far I've only had one interview (1 of 2 at that particular school) where I really clicked with the interviewer and felt I did great. The other interview at the same school I think was just OK, but I was accepted. I was also accepted to two other schools where I didn't think I performed super well (but not poorly either). So yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. But then again, my stats were probably at the high end for all of those schools.

Did you have a general feeling about whether you would be accepted at that school, or was it a complete suprise? I interviewed at a school and I feel like my interview went exceptionally well, but my stats are borderline for that school. I feel like based on my interview they would accept me, but based on stats they wouldn't..... did most of you that got accepted just have stellar interviews or is there pretty much no correlation....

maygrl110

10+ Year Member
                      Jun 17, 2005
                      1. Medical Student
                        After going on several interviews and getting acceptances/waitlists...also from reading all of your comments...I'm not sure how much the interview is truly worth. As long as you show some social competence and your stats are good for the school, then you stand a good chance. I think that the stats hold an especially high value for OOS applicants. I know in my state, they have let in ppl with stats below the average but OOS applicants are generally stronger. Oh, well! I guess just have fun at the interviews and can't worry too much about the rest b/c it's pretty hard to tell in the end! Good luck to everyone!:D

maestro1625

10+ Year Member
                        Jan 22, 2006
                        1. Medical Student
                          Got the first one today... It was my state school where my stats were well above thier averages, I showed significant interest in the school during the interview (aka, I outlined my reasons clearly), and I'm a legacy there to go along with it...

...but Damn, I was nervous as hell making the phone call to find out if I got in today.

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.