to those of you with 30+ mcat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tae1703

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
did you take any prep courses like kaplan etc? how did you prepare for the mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

Did not prepare, got a 31.
Took the TPR MCAT instructor course, got a 32.
Grew up, learned discipline, took the TPR MCAT prep course, got a 36.
Prep rocks!! (or is it growing up that rocks? Anyway...)

Members don't see this ad :)
tae1703 said:
did you take any prep courses like kaplan etc? how did you prepare for the mcat?

The #1 thing you need for this test is CONFIDENCE. If you are in a position to apply to med school to begin with, you probably have good grades. In your courses, especially your science courses, you have been able to tackle your midterms and finals with confidence. So why not the MCAT? What is keeping you from killing that test the way you killed your college science tests? If you are like many students, it is out of sheer intimidation. Also, do not under-estimate the verbal section... some schools consider it even MORE important than the science sections. That section has little to do with "verbal" and everything to do with "reasoning." (the writing section, OTOH, is almost ignored by every adcom in the nation :) )

Drop me a line if you want more specific help... each section follows specific rules, and each can be easily defeated if you are willing to prepare. Good luck.

ForbiddenComma said:
The #1 thing you need for this test is CONFIDENCE.
It's been said before, but it can't be overstressed: the statement above is bullcookies. The number one thing you need for the MCAT is intelligence. Knowledge and preparation come next. Attitude may make you feel better, but it doesn't find you the right answers.

Took Kaplan. It takes some discipline, doing the homework and such. The classes are only useful if you have reviewed on your own. If not the class won't teach you anything new or help much. What did help were full length practice tests, knowing what to expect time-wise was especially useful. But again, if you take a prep course, whatever it is, it's going to take a lot of personal study time outside of the classes. Got a 32, 2 better that any practice test.

My girlfriend took the Kaplan course and just got a 39 (13s across). I'm really proud. Of course she also worked really hard during the course and took a number of practice exams. From what I saw, they covered all the material pretty well.

Note: she's also freakin' brilliant, so results may not be typical.

Shrike said:
It's been said before, but it can't be overstressed: the statement above is bullcookies. The number one thing you need for the MCAT is intelligence. Knowledge and preparation come next. Attitude may make you feel better, but it doesn't find you the right answers.

Well there is such a thing as being overconfident. However one problem people may have is stressing out during the test. Attitude may not give you the right answer but panicing won't either.

I took all the med school prereqs in a year and started studying for the MCAT specifically during the holidays. I did not do a course. Examkrackers books were awesome. I also took 5 aamc practice tests for endurance and timing. If I could suggest one thing it would be to take a few aamc tests and some other ones (Kaplan or whatever). i don't think a course is necessary unless you don't have the motivation to do it yourself.

Shrike said:

No I disagree. True, a big part is intelligence, but confidence goes a LONG way. I went in on testing day so confident and calm, I scored the highest I had than on any of my dozens of practice tests. I know, it sounds cheesy that confidence helps, but it's true. If you're not confident, you begin doubting yourself on some parts, then you'll start getting anxious over not knowing the answer, not doing well, etc, then you'll freak out...and then your score will plummet...you get the point :p

Intelligence is very important. Knowledge is also important. If you don’t know anything about physics, chem., bio, orgo, you’ll get killed. Confidence will only help you reach your maximum performance, which I only think is worth a few points on the test. Confidence is important during prep for the test, knowing how to study and how to attack problems. There are some other less obvious skills/attributes that are important, like reading ability, decision making skills, test taking skills, testing endurance, and concentration skills. Someone with a 40 is not always more intelligent than someone with a 35, but most likely he/she is. In my case luck was a serious factor.

I got a 40 and didn't take a course. I took tons of upper-level bio classes, and otherwise studied like crazy from Kaplan Comprehensive Review for chem and orgo review. Then just took a few AAMC and Kaplan practice tests.

I wasn't very confident during the test. I second guessed myself, nearly ran out of time on all sections, and had a huge amount of anxiety. But I am good at standardized tests, so it didn't matter I guess.