To those that have taken the OAT...

OATAcer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have my exam in a month and I was wondering if anyone remembers what topics were covered on Physics, Gen-Chem and O-Chem when ya'll took the OAT?

I heard there is a lot of formulas for Physics that students memorize and end up seeing a few on the actual exam. Same complaint with Gen-Chem and O-chem. I think it would be best to have organization based off a study guide on what points to study hard for, rather then studying everything and only 30% if it appearing in the actual exam.

I am good with biology - studying Kaplan flash cards and reading the Kaplan book.

QR - Working on questions from Kaplan book and Math Destroyer.

Please share.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I haven't taken my exam as of yet, but I've been hearing that a lot of the formulas that you should know are only asked about conceptually. So there is no need to plug and chug, just understand them. Maybe that's why they don't see so much formulas being used?

I memorized Kaplan's physics laminated sheet full of equations.. I remember using a few of them. There wasn't a lot of plug and chug, but there were a good number of conceptual questions based on understanding of formulas and processes.

As far as general chemistry, there were plenty of mol, titration, and conversion problems. The numbers were all very basic though since you are only allowed a calculator on the QR portion of the test.

Organic was strange.. I had a solid mixture of just about everything I felt could be thrown at me.

Don't take short cuts or anything. It's better to only stress for this once, so just study hard.

Physics topics:

Units and vectors, linear kinematics, statics, dynamics, rotational motion, energy and momentum, simple harmonic motion, waves, fluid statics, thermal energy and thermodynamics, electrostatics, D.C. circuits, magnetism, optics, and modern physics.

You can go on here to take a look at the topics:
https://www.ada.org/oat/index.html

I just copied and pasted it!