to those who applied to columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r0entgen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a question about the letter of recommendations Columbia requires. It says they want 3 letters of recs from science professors. I have been doing cardiology research with a professor at the medical school. Although she has never taught me in a class before, will she still count as a science professor to fulfill one of the three science professor recommendations? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

r0entgen said:
Hey,

I have a question about the letter of recommendations Columbia requires. It says they want 3 letters of recs from science professors. I have been doing cardiology research with a professor at the medical school. Although she has never taught me in a class before, will she still count as a science professor to fulfill one of the three science professor recommendations? Thanks!

Hello,
Yes it will be sufficient. I sent in a letter from my research professor who never had me in his "official" class. However, I did get credits for doing research with him. Hope this helps.

I also got a LOR from my PI instead of another professor from a science class, and it was never a problem (although I didn't apply to Columbia).