To those who apply to both MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

Regarding personal statement and recommendations : Can we use the same essay & LoRs to apply to both MD and DO ?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding personal statement and recommendations : Can we use the same essay & LoRs to apply to both MD and DO ?? :confused:

Of course. However, the maximum size of your essay may be different in AMCA and AACOMAS, so you may have to change it a little if it's too long. Some osteopathic schools require a DO letter, though, so you should check the LOR requirements of the schools you apply to. Some school requirements are different in the types of LORs they require-- such as some stipulate 2 scieence professors and one non-science. Others don't care. Some say you must have an LOR that shows patient contact or interaction. It's more an individual school thing than DO vs MD. But, generally, your LORs can be identical.

Good question.

If your essay is not MD or DO specific (like mention the words "osteopathic/allopathic" or "manipulation," then it would be fine to use for both. There seems to be no consensus as to wether or not you should include osteopathic specific info in the DO essay. Both ways have proved successful in the past.

As for LORs, as long as MD letters don't state "MD program," then they would be OK for DO schools. Additionally, you would want a DO letter for DO schools if possible. This letter often describes why you would make a good OSTEOPATHIC physician, so it might not be appropriate for your MD apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
....There seems to be no consensus as to wether or not you should include osteopathic specific info in the DO essay. Both ways have proved successful in the past.....

Do yourself a favor and use the same essay for MD and DO schools. Every single DO secondary essay you fill out will ask why you want to be a DO. You'll have plenty of time to talk about it then. Besides, if you use all your best stuff in the primary, your secondary will be redundant and stale.

You will see hundreds of threads pop up in a couple of months that say, "I already said why I want to be a DO in my primary, so what do I write in my secondary now? Do I just copy and paste the same thing?" It's happened every year since SDN began. Save yourself the hassle now.

You will see hundreds of threads pop up in a couple of months that say, "I already said why I want to be a DO in my primary, so what do I write in my secondary now? Do I just copy and paste the same thing?" It's happened every year since SDN began. Save yourself the hassle now.

Can't wait for history to repeat itself, which seems to be the official motto of SDN! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the responses, they really help!!!

So far I haven't seen any MD school requires a LOR that shows patient contact or interaction. Do some DO schools do, though ?

So far I haven't seen any MD school requires a LOR that shows patient contact or interaction. Do some DO schools do, though ?

I think I've only seen it "required" once or twice (though I can't recall where), but think about it. Don't you think it would be advantageous for you to show that you have gotten to know at least one doc who can vouch for your motivation/interpersonal skills/patient rapport/etc? Seems important to me, and I made sure to have one or two like this in my application.

Yes. Unless it's changed, DMU requires that. It doesn't have to be from a doctor-- just someone (even a volunteer coordinator) who can verify experience. There are others that I ran across, but it's been so long now that I can't remember the specifics.

One last question, perhaps :p
DOs can become MD if they choose to specialize in MD, right ?

how do you specialize in MD? ive never head of anything like that nor can i think of a plausible way that would work.

No. A DO could become an MD if they went back to school and got an MD. This would be inexplicable. Also, apparently some caribbean schools will give you an MD after accepting your DO credits. This would be very costly, stupid, and inexplicable.

So far I have a massive list of recommendations on interfolio to counter any possible combination. I have 1 employer letter, 3 science profs, 1 non science, 2 DOs and an MD. I will just select which ones go where as needed.

As far as the essay thing. I just used the same personal statement for both. I was under the character limit for both, but by matching and adjusting I'd just ruin flow. I told a story and discussed my unique characteristics. As mentioned before, every DO school will have a "why osteopathic medicine" question....Kind of stupid, but something you'll deal with.

how do you specialize in MD? ive never head of anything like that nor can i think of a plausible way that would work.
I searched on Wikipedia and found that:
Although the DO approach is a bit different, when it comes to residency, DO can choose one of the following:
- MD
- osteopathic
- combined MD/DO
- AOA approval of an ACGME program
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_allopathic_and_osteopathic_medicine

"The majority of US DO students attend MD residency programs...."

--> It essentially means DOs can choose MD specialty (such as: anesthesiology, surgery) ? Does it make DOs indistinguishable from MDs ?!

Members don't see this ad :)

No, typically, DO's cannot become MD's. If you attend and graduate from an osteopathic medical school, you will earn a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree (DO), even if they take all three steps of the USMLEs (in addition to the COMLEX) and do all allopathic residencies (versus osteopathic). There are those who hold dual DO/MD degrees, but these are usually foreign-trained physicians (they can here with an MD degree, but then attended an osteopathic medical school to earn a DO, so that they can practice here), folks who earn an american DO degree and decided to go through a questionable Caribbean medical program to earn an MD (not worth it, because you are technically still a DO, and the program is questionable), or something like that.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong. Perhaps you mean to ask whether DO's can apply to allopathic residencies? The answer is, "yes," quite a few graduating DO's actually apply to and match into allopathic residency programs. Some of them opt to take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX to improve their chances, but it isn't required. They remain DO's, however.

Please read the FAQ. DO's are the professional equivalents to MD's. Why would you want to go through years of medical school over again, or pay a large sum of money to a questionable Caribbean school to gain an additional medical degree (research it carefully; you will find that it is questionable), when you are already a complete physician as a US DO? Perhaps in the past there was a significant difference, but is primarly historical now. The training and schooling is equivalent between the two, expect that DO's receive a few years of OMM training, but only a minority of DO's actually use it regularly. That point of difference remains the most visible and distinctive.

Do not attend an osteopathic medical program, if you don't want to become a DO. You may not be happy with what you earn. Instead, apply allopathic, if you want an MD degree. It's best way to become an MD.

It means DO's have their own residency programs that are exclusively for DO's at DO hospitals. They have residencies for every specialty that allo's have.(The only thing i notice thats different is DO's have proctologic surgery listed as its own residency. For allo colon and rectal surgery is a gen surg fellowship).

DO's also can do an allopathic residency. Actually, i read somewhere(i think in Gevitz's book) that there are only enough osteopathic residencies to cover about 1/3 graduates per year. So 2/3 of DO's complete there residencies in allopathic hospitals.

Also, there exist some residency programs that are dually accredited. If a DO completes and allopathic residency he is still a DO. He cannot call himself an MD nor would he have the desire to do so.

Although the DO approach is a bit different, when it comes to residency, DO can choose one of the following:
- MD
- osteopathic
- combined MD/DO

--> It essentially means DOs can choose MD specialty (such as: anesthesiology, surgery) ? Does it make DOs indistinguishable from MDs ?!

Yes, DO's can match into an allopathic residency, but they do so as a DO and remain a DO upon finishing the allopathic residency. However, DO's, no matter which program they choose, are already professionally indestinguishable from MD's, even if they match into osteopathic residency. Both types of physicians play the same role, practice using the same standard of care, and use the same billing codes. The only visible difference is when a DO uses OMM, which only a minority do with regularity.

- MD
- osteopathic
- combined MD/DO

there's no such thing as an "MD" specialty. there are medical specialties open to all medical students, both MD and DO.

i can't believe texas hasn't chimed in with his two cents yet. it's almost .worrisome. and leads one to wonder, where he is and what's he doing...is he ok? this is certainly not like him. lol at any rate he's slacking...

My mobile device is fine. But I am nocturnal quite a bit of the time, particularly in the middle of a run of night-shifts at the ER (12-hour shifts). Speaking of which, I'm about to head back to work, after waking up a couple hours ago.

At first, I thought that this...

...was the stupidest thing I have ever read. Then I realized it was just a weird way to put the old "Can a DO become an MD if they do an allopathic residency?" question.

We need to make a FAQ for this forum where we can sticky it at the top, and not have to address this same ridiculous **** over and over and over. Oh, wait. We have that.

I think it could be a little more comprehensive though, to include the very stupidest of questions.

If you don't want the DO, don't apply to DO schools, period. If your plan was to use a DO degree as a stepping stone to an MD, Osteopathic medical school isn't for you.

My mobile device is fine. But I am nocturnal quite a bit of the time, particularly in the middle of a run of night-shifts at the ER (12-hour shifts). Speaking of which, I'm about to head back to work, after waking up a couple hours ago.

At first, I thought that this...

...was the stupidest thing I have ever read. Then I realized it was just a weird way to put the old "Can a DO become an MD if they do an allopathic residency?" question.

We need to make a FAQ for this forum where we can sticky it at the top, and not have to address this same ridiculous **** over and over and over. Oh, wait. We have that.

I think it could be a little more comprehensive though, to include the very stupidest of questions.

that post was entirely way too serious...are you sure you're ok? c-bizzle and i are still worried.

Yes. Unless it's changed, DMU requires that. It doesn't have to be from a doctor-- just someone (even a volunteer coordinator) who can verify experience. There are others that I ran across, but it's been so long now that I can't remember the specifics.
You're right (not sure about vol coord. though):)

Osteopathic Medical College Information Book : 2008

DMU-COM Supplemental Application Requirements
Minimum recommended science and cumulative GPA of 3.0. Completed online supplemental application. MCAT is required. Scores older than three years are not acceptable. Medical exposure letter written by a physician, DO or MD, describing patient exposure experiences. Academic letter(s): Two letters of recommendation from hard science faculty who have taught you in class OR one pre-medical committee recommendation including the names of the committee members. Criminal background check.

What do they mean by medical exposure letter anyway? I mean, if I submitted two DO recommendations would one of them have to talk about my clinical contact. Shouldn't it just be assumed that if I followed the Doc around that I probably had exposure to patients?

What do they mean by medical exposure letter anyway? I mean, if I submitted two DO recommendations would one of them have to talk about my clinical contact. Shouldn't it just be assumed that if I followed the Doc around that I probably had exposure to patients?

The way it worked back when I was applying is that they sent you a web address to log onto when they wanted you to fill out a secondary app. On the website you printed out directions for for your LORs. The directions for the patient contact LOR stated certain questions that must be answered in the LOR itself. It was things like how you responded to patients and acted around patients, etc. I have no idea if it's still done this way. They wanted to know more than that you were just "exposed" to patients.

Maybe I wasn't clear there.
Is there a restriction regarding which type of surgeries a DO could go into ? If not, I assume that DO surgeons do exactly the same thing MDs do, yet without being officially called "MD". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there a restriction regarding which type of surgeries a DO could go into ? If not, I assume that DO surgeons do exactly the same thing MDs do, yet without being officially called "MD". Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, there are no restrictions regarding which type of surgical subspecialties that DO's can go into; DO's and MD's are completely equivalent. Both DO's and MD's can specialize in the same medical and surigical fields.

Please read the FAQ and do some basic research. There are no limitations on practice rights for DO's in this country. DO's and MD's are professionally and legally equivalent and specialize in the same fields. Both are physicians and practice to the very same standard of care. I don't know how to make this clearer than that.

In this country and in many others MD's and US-trained DO's are considered physicians with unrestricted medical practice rights with the ability to specialize in any medical specialty. Yes, there are two types of physicians in this country, MD's and DO's. The reason for the divergence was historical.

It sounds like you need to read up on the fundamentals. Your degree, MD or DO, does not limit what you can do. You are limited by your chosen field of specialty. Typically, the types of surgeries that a surgeon, whether MD or DO, performs depends on which surgical subspecialty that he or she has chosen, i.e., which residency and fellowships he or she has done. The MD and DO degrees are equivalent; your degree is not your limiting factor.

Maruko, did you actually research about DO's before you posted?

To those who took my questions seriously, thanks for your answers.

PS: To certain ppl: For your information, I did search on Wikipedia and AACOM.

To those who took my questions seriously, thanks for your answers.

PS: To certain ppl: For your information, I did search on Wikipedia and AACOM.

No one is trying to be overtly harsh, especially if you are genuinely interested in having the DO behind your name, but telling people to research or dismissing questions of this nature just happen around the boards due to the frequency of these types of inquires. Don't sweat it. Stick around, read up, and really figure out if you want to apply to osteopathic medical schools. I think you'll want to apply after researching.

The way it worked back when I was applying is that they sent you a web address to log onto when they wanted you to fill out a secondary app. On the website you printed out directions for for your LORs. The directions for the patient contact LOR stated certain questions that must be answered in the LOR itself. It was things like how you responded to patients and acted around patients, etc. I have no idea if it's still done this way. They wanted to know more than that you were just "exposed" to patients.

Sounds nice and cumbersome. Hopefully my DO talked about that. If I knew before hand then I would've mentioned it. Bah. I already have my LORs. I suppose I could get one more if I REALLY wanted to...but I am thinking 8 is enough. ;)