To those who have given up...HOPE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

analu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
JUST GOT IN TO MY STATE SCHOOL!!! I was sitting on the floor in the lobby of my apartment building, re-reading the first sentence over and over again...I couldn't believe it! Having suffered rejections from Temple, Wake Forest, and MCPHU, my state school was my last chance. I interviewed in February, and hadn't heard A THING since...not even a wait-list letter.

This is a message of hope for all you non-trads out there. Got my degree in Biology about 11 years ago, with 5 F's on my Ugrad transcript. Withdrew from a grad program in Genetics, with 4 Incompletes on my Grad transcript. Sold real estate for a couple of years, WHICH SUCKED. Got a med tech job with a very supportive M.D. who encouraged me to "get back in it." Took Kaplan to prep for the MCAT, and as I was taking their Diagnostic test, my pregnant wife was hospitalized...our daughter was born 7 weeks premature and needed heart surgery out-of-state. After two years of corrective surgery/hospitalization for my daughter, retook Kaplan (shelling out another $1200), did pretty well on the MCAT (10,11,13,Q). Waited one year to save for application fees/travel expenses. Applied this year to a bunch of schools, but with a 2.8 GPA, not much takers.

Bottom line: NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS! If it's really what you want, put your head down and weather the storm... When May 1st arrived, I was making plans for summer school and fall semester for post-bacc classes, and I saved up for another round of application fees. NOW I GET TO USE THAT MONEY FOR MY DEPOSIT AND A PARTY FOR MY FAMILY THIS WEEK-END!

Sorry this post was long-winded. Just wanted to thank all you guys for the advice and support. You made this agonizing process much more bearable knowing that there were others who could relate.

me ke aloha pumehana

Members don't see this ad.

well judging by the signature, im guessing university of kentucky. IT'S HAWAII!!!

HEY CONGRATS MAN!!! THAT'S AN AMAZING STORY.

:clap: :clap: :D :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations!

Wow, a daughter AND a med school admission... you've got it made

Hi oldman, school is the University of Hawaii, John A. Burns. I'm a resident, but not Hawaiian, nor a Pacific Islander (which would have made things A LOT EASIER)! In this state, I'm ORM...over-represented majority. :D

P.S. Oldman, I derived much strength from your story and advice to others in the same boat...MAHALO!

aloha

analu - congratulations. Sounds like you deserved the acceptance.

If you don't mind, can you tell me what date the letter was sent? I'm in CA and eagerly waiting a response from JABSOM. Thanks.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You just don't know how much I appreciated that.

And...

CONGRADULATIONS!!!! :clap:

Another doddering old premed...

Nanon

Aloha kutastha,

Though I don't know if I deserved it...I'll take it!!! Letter was dated May 6th, postmarked May 7th. Hope you get in, man, as I'm familiar with your story---it'd be awesome to be your classmate!!!

Good luck and aloha :cool:

Analu: I'M PROUD TO HAVE YOU AS A COLLEGUE

Congratulations!!! :clap: :clap:

It just goes to show that there are at least some schools willing to give people a second chance if they improve themselves. I had a pretty bad undergrad GPA, 3.2 and I worked my but off in a graduate program and got into schools. I love these comeback stories!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the great story
made me :D

Hey Man,
Congratulations! Your story is awesome, thanks for sharing it. It just shows that you can never give up hope.

congrats!!! i sent you a PM...

Your news is certainly encouraging - congratulations on your dedication & success!

analu, thanks for the story. It's a real inspiration for this fellow non-trad! I'll be applying this cycle and it's always inspiring to hear about someone else who's pulled themselves back up and gotten in! :clap: :clap: Too bad Ohio's not as exotic as Hawaii.

PS. I lived in Ohau for 4 years when I was a Marine brat. Lived right across from Triplet Hospital and went to Red Hill Elementary.

Hey Green912, my mother-in-law lives up there in Moanalua, within walking distance to Red Hill Elementary...hope you still carry that "spirit of aloha" with you today!

Thanks for all your kind words...after having let it sink in, I kind of feel undeserving of this first year spot, vs. someone who worked harder as an undergrad and "did it right" the first time around. I do look at this as a tremendous opportunity for myself, a SECOND CHANCE for me to fulfill my dream...and I promise to make the most of it and be the best med student I can be!

aloha

Analu, that was a wonderful story, thanks for posting it! Congratulations!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm so happy for you!

Big congratulation to you!!!!! WOOT!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Dra.Foxy,

Perhaps you could do a fourth year elective out here in sunny Hawaii...you could wear a bikini under your clinic coat and tan between patients! :p

aloha

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Analu,
Congratulations!!!!!

Your courage and persistence opened the door of the med school! Thanks for sharing your story! I believe you'll make a great doctor!!

•••quote:••• ••••Life if beautiful!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by analu:
•Thanks for all your kind words...after having let it sink in, I kind of feel undeserving of this first year spot, vs. someone who worked harder as an undergrad and "did it right" the first time around. I do look at this as a tremendous opportunity for myself, a SECOND CHANCE for me to fulfill my dream...and I promise to make the most of it and be the best med student I can be!

aloha•••••analu... you deserve this more than most. Your priorities have been straight through all of this, and "hard work" is seeing your sick kid through a life threatening illness, keeping your marriage together, actually WORKING, and following your heart, all at the same time. Too bad you can't get a GPA for that... you know, the stuff that actually counts. We're all proud of you.

Nanon

Fantastic!!! Treat yourself to a luau (sp?)!

cograts!!! don't think for one second that you don't deserve this.....you sound exactly like the sort of person that is badly needed in the medical profession, caring and thoughtful, it seems you have your priorities totally in order...enjoy the feeling

Awesome!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
You seem like someone who will become a wonderful doctor!

Awesome kutastha, I'm rooting for you! Talking with friends last year, the waitlist moves A LOT...perhaps even more so this year due to the LCME threatening to place JABSOM on probation. Totally bogus...did you get the letter from Dean Cadman explaining the current situation? Hope it put you at ease.

Keep in touch and let me know how everything works out!

aloha :cool: