To those who have traveled abroad - pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankodejenko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - to those who have had unbelievable experiences traveling abroad prior to pre-med/med school, I would love to hear your experiences and if you would recommend certain programs!

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I went to Spain, specifically Santander. It's a great city with world-renowned beaches, yet it is still secluded enough to not have many foreigners (guiris) there so you really get immersed in language and culture. They also have an english exchange at the university, so many people throughout Spain travel there to learn english for a week. I met tons of Spaniards this way and made friends all throughout the region

Reactions: 1 user
If you're interested in Japan and/or teaching, I highly recommend the JET Program. It does require that you finish your bachelor's degree first, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I would recommend a third world country (or something in that area of that economic status). I went to Belize and I can tell you that I absolutely loved the culture and the people there. Things are so much different, especially in the medical field. They still do rural visits and "tent" clinics for check-ups. Technology is in no way a dominant resource for kids and adults to exploit, therefore you get real, legitimate interactions with people. You can learn a lot from countries such as Belize. Absolutely loved it AND it was super cheap! ($5,500 for EVERYTHING)

If you want to do a program where you learn about healthcare and even a bit of physiology, go through the Danish Institute for Study Abroad. You can go for a summer or for a semester or year, and you're based through the University of Copenhagen. If I had the money/citizenship I'd move to Denmark in a heartbeat, no contest.

I also studied in Bali, Indonesia and stayed with a family in Ubud. Really loved it, wish I could have had more time to see other islands since my anthro prof did work in Lombok, but yeah. It was for a music program though so I'm not sure what other non-musical stuff is out there. Good luck! :)

Hello - to those who have had unbelievable experiences traveling abroad prior to pre-med/med school, I would love to hear your experiences and if you would recommend certain programs!

thanks

I went to France for Semester during undergrad, it was a great experience.

Please expand on this.

I've basically lived in the same state my whole life, so nothing to speak of.

Iraq wouldn't need an explanation, look at the events since 2003. Its gotten real bad over since last year.

Traveling to countries in Europe would be relatively safe for most students, Japan and Korea are also good bets. Canada is safe but nothing interesting there.

Iraq wouldn't need an explanation, look at the events since 2003. Its gotten real bad over since last year.

Traveling to countries in Europe would be relatively safe for most students, Japan and Korea are also good bets. Canada is safe but nothing interesting there.
Toronto is pretty cool, lots of good food

No you misunderstood. I'm interested to hear about the specific situation that precipitated him specifically being shot at. Unless it was that he was near a shooting, and wasn't actually directly shot at.

Stories where people almost die are fun.

has anyone had any experience in germany? I had been very interested in visiting there already

Members don't see this ad :)
No you misunderstood. I'm interested to hear about the specific situation that precipitated him specifically being shot at. Unless it was that he was near a shooting, and wasn't actually directly shot at.

Well Iraq has been a war zone for last 12 years so there is a high chance of being in such an encounter, particularly if you are a Westerner.

has anyone had any experience in germany? I had been very interested in visiting there already

I was in France in my Junior of College, I would not know much about Germany, there really isn't much to see in Germany compared to other European countries because of World War 2, much of the countries artifacts and old buildings were destroyed in World War 2, the cities there are newer and more American looking than most other European cities. If you want a more interesting European experience you should spend a year in France, Italy, or Spain. I also think some Eastern European countries are good as well such as Hungary and the Czech Republic.

Also the issue of the French not speaking English is false, its only the older people there who don't speak English, most French under 30 understand English and love it when they meet native English speakers.

If you are looking for a foreign country for a party I suggest you Google Roosh V and Julien's forums, they got a ton of info on their sites.

Last edited:
I would suppose it depends on the person.
No, he's right. If someone makes a casual remark like I did, one should never take that as a prompt to press for details. If they're volunteered, that's fine.

It's like sex. You're not going to get unless you've done it.

If i can only speak english, would it be best to do pre-healt/dent/med experience in italy or france?

Guatemala was a fantastic experience and they have health volunteer programs!

If i can only speak english, would it be best to do pre-healt/dent/med experience in italy or france?

People say France is not a good place for those who cannot speak French, I kind of disagree, older French people understand English but do not like speaking it, younger French people have no problems with it, most people on this board are under 30, most French under 30 speak English and love to practice with Native English speakers, so if you come from an English speaking country it will be easy to make friends. I cannot give much of an opinion of Italy but they seem to have a good opinion of Americans but that is about it. They are both good places if you want to spend some time in Europe.

Most places in Europe have plenty of people that speak English, just at least try to speak the native language somewhat. It's a matter of respect.

wtf is wrong with you

Spent 2 years over there it was awesome. I was in Berlin, Hamburg and Hildesheim. Learned the language fairly well and had a really good time. It is an awesome place to live. If you get a chance go!

wtf is wrong with you

The story. I agree that the actual event itself is usually not very fun.

I let that slide. It is kinda fascinating to hear wild stories from us old blokes. It was poorly worded.... and he didn't bring beer, so two strikes.

I am not an eloquent person in the first place, so I am sorry if that came off rude. I certainly didn't mean it that way. Just love hearing good stories. :)