1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

To those who think dentistry is better than a medical career...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by monster2, Jun 15, 2001.

1. monster2

monster2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm glad you see all the denial these people are in. Sometimes the reality of getting into med school hurts, and these peole just don't wan't to face it. Fact is most of them
    just don't have what it takes to make it as a physician. I'll say it again: You must have the brains to make it as a doctor, and a sub
    3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT is something any ordinary Joe could achieve...

2. happynotes20

happynotes20 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

monster2, I don't know if you think you are being funny or something, but its clear from your post that something wrong with your thinking. You claim you are not acting on impulse yet post a ridiculous response that would make any rational being laugh. The bottom line is that we need doctors, dentists, nurses, etc, etc.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some choose dentistry and some choose medicine.... Whether or not one is smarter than the other.... I beg to differ... I've met both bad dentist and good docs and good dentist and bad docs.... I'd like to think that at this stage in our lives, we pursue the things that best suits us not necessarily because one wasn't smart enough to be in a certain profession.... Just a thought.

4. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Popoy, don't try to stop the bickering. I want to watch 'em fight it out! ;)

5. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Alright.... LEEEETTTT'SSSSSS GET READY TO RUUUUUMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLEEEEE!!!!

Is that better? :D

6. monster2

monster2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Listen here wannabe doctors, current statistics show that most if not all dentists are MED SCHOOL REJECTS. Low MCAT scores and low GPAs are often the cultprit. Any orangutan with half a brain can pass the DAT. If we all start being truthful here, I'd say 90% in this forum would agree with me, but noone admits it because the truth often hurts (an would rather sugarcoat it with "oh I never wanted to be a doctor anyway, and all that jazz). Give it up people.

7. rowjimmi

rowjimmi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

You sound like a real spaz... Where did you get these statistics? Let me guess - Your @$$

8. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Monster 2,
    You ARE the weakest link! Do you really expect us to believe that "most if not all" dental school matriculants actually have the desire, time, and money to wind their way through both the dental school and medical school application processes? Think about it for a minute. "Most if not all" successful dental school applicants have paid down good money and are committed to a dental school by the spring of the year of their admittance. "Most if not all" successful medical school applicants have only begun to hear of their good fortune by the spring of the year of their admittance.

Monster 2, you would gain more by taking a remedial course in common sense rather than tying to blow smoke by the folks on this forum.

9. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden New Member

Thanks monster2 for showing me that I was in denial. My sub 3.5 GPA of 3.72, and sub 30 MCAT score of 37 really didn't give me much of a choice between dental school and medical school.
    You see just a year ago I was forced into dental school because I was just so substandard, and until now I thought that I had a choice in the matter originally, especially with my acceptance to both types of schools.
    So, why did I choose dentistry you ask? In short because I want to have time to spend with my family (which is my priority), want to help people, and want to be able to earn a decent salary, and believe it or not, in that order of importance.
    In no way though am I bad mouthing medicine. In fact I commend every single person that got in and that will become a doctor, with the exception of you. You will most likely become the worst kind of doctor, the one that is only interested in himself.
    To all others out there in whatever profession you are in, if you are enjoying yourselves and aren't hurting anyone, then good for you and I wish you well.

P.S. Hey monster2, even after my acceptance to medical and dental school, I still volunteer at food drives, and orphanages(sp?). Believe it or not there are also many other people out there that just like to help people.

10. MedCA1

MedCA1 New Member

Monster2,

I am a 4th year medical student at a CA med school and I have to say that I am embarrassed and horrified that you might be a future medical colleague of mine. Your posts are immature and pathetic and your reasoning and mentality are definitely within the scope of a psychological/mental disorder. You've got some serious anger/insecurity/inferiority issues you've got to work out. Please do not use Student Doctor Network to vent your issues. You're just making a complete fool out of yourself.

MedCa1

11. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When I mentioned, "Let's get ready to rumble" I didn't think you folks would actually RUMBLE.... I guess monster2 got what he/she wanted....

Personally, my dentist had the grades, brains, etc. to make it into any medical school.... He just chose to pursue a dental degree because that's what he WANTED to do and his family had a good business going....

12. monster2

monster2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

37 MCAT? This is bad comedy. You expect anybody to believe that? If there was such a person (obviously not in your case, otherwise you wouldn't be trying so hard), achieveing high grades and scores indicate a hunger for knowledge and challenge... something which the career of dentistry CANNOT supply. What else can be learned with looking at people's mouths? I guess it takes a lot of braincells to do a wisdom tooth extraction, huh? A medical diagnosis is definitely requires more thought and analysis, not some looking for cavities with an X-ray crap. Face it, people who cannot go into medical school become dentists or chiropractors. Let's not kid ourselves... dentistry is a POPULAR alternative if one do not have what it takes to get into medical school. An oral surgeon is not a real surgeon.

13. monster2

monster2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

People, I'm just being honest here. Step out in the real world and ask med school rejects and struggling pre-meds, and they'lll always mention dentistry as one of the "other" careers if their medschool dreams go up in smoke. Most of you display the obligatory notion of wanting to be a dentist but deny the fact that a doctor is more respectable than a dentist. A family doctor has more impact on the general well being of an individual than some mouth-peeking fool who only strive to look for dollarbills per cavity. What exactly is a dentist's advice? Brush your teeth? Don't eat sweets? Pathetic exercise of mental faculties if you ask me.

So there really is not such thing as a "pre-dental". Most are really premeds who never made it. Those are the facts, people.

14. happynotes20

7+ Year Member

Hey Monster,

Let me guess, you are perferct 4.0 student with a 40+ MCAT score who just made it into med school or a premed struggling and verging your anger at this forum.

If you think everyone wants to a medical doctor, you are mistaken. I know plenty of people with great GPA who were pre-dents and never even gave a though on medicine. Why? cause dentistry was for them, and not just an alternative career choice.

15. happynotes20

7+ Year Member

Hey Monster,

Let me guess, you are perferct 4.0 student with a 40+ MCAT score who just made it into med school or a premed struggling and verging your anger at this forum.

If you think everyone wants to a medical doctor, you are mistaken. I know plenty of people with great GPA who were pre-dents and never even gave a though on medicine. Why? cause dentistry was for them, and not just an alternative career choice. Another thing, you say an oral surgeon is not a surgeon, you don't even know what you talking about. For your info., a lot of oral surgeon do go to 2 years of med school after dental school.

16. kahlil78

kahlil78 Member
    10+ Year Member

Monster,

What prompts people like you to stir up such absolute rubish is beyond me. You should consider seeking profesional help for your problems, instead of going around insulting people you don't even know for their career choices.

Travis

17. MedCA1

MedCA1 New Member

Hey Monster2,

You know I don't care about you expressing your opinion about an allied health profession, but do it at an appropriate place. There is the "Everyone" and "Lounge" section where this sort of behavior is definitely more appropriate. I come onto the medical, dental, optometry, PA, and nursing forums to learn about all the allied health professions, not to have to sift through useless information that is distracting. As for the moderator, Dr. Richard Scherf, I think it is appropriate for you to take some action here. Monster2's behavior is definitely not within the scope of the dental forum. I suggest removing his posts to the "everyone" or "lounge" section where it is better suited. It is distracting to those of us who are trying to share and learn information about the allied health professions.

MedCA1

18. rowjimmi

rowjimmi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I second that emotion, Dr.Scherf. Kid is a loser.

19. monster2

monster2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Huh, it's people like you MedCa1 that make up the weak, "goody-two-shoes" population of medical students that become blind to the harsh reality of the world. If you are unable to swallow perspectives that do not suit your ideal imaginings, then ignore them, just like I did to your nonsense. Don't go running to mommy like a coward.

I find little reason for you to come and learn anything, other than appoint yourself as the patron saint of dentistry. You should be concerned with acing your USMLEs and rotations if you are indeed a 4th year medical student.

And what exactly have you to say about the mental challenges of being a dentist as opposed to that of a general practitioner, whom so many dentists claim to be earning less than themselves? Oh, I know, nothing... because I suspect you to be one of those lucky premeds who made it to medschool with less than stellar credentials and having a hard time in medical school (otherwise you won't be going shopping around for some allied health profession). As for the others, none of you can respond accordingly except attack my "behavior". Like I said, if dentistry is much more challenging than medicine, give me a dental skill that requires deep and thoughtful insight.

It's common sense. The popularity of dentistry does not lend itself to just the "love of profession" as THE major motivation. It's simply MONEY. SInce this reward to a dentist to be is usually secondary to an equivalent doctor to be, dentistry becomes the popular "safety" career for those who do not make it, since noone can argue the ease of DATs and dental application over MCATs and medical school applications. Admittedly, a majority of premeds are in it for the money... so it comes as no surprise that dentistry be "the other option" and it comes to no surprise that about 90% of successful dental school applicants were medical school rejects. That my friends is true, whether MedCa1 "crybaby go cry to moderator" likes it or not.

20. RacerDude2249

RacerDude2249 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Monster2,

Look FREAK OF NATURE,

You are WAY out-of-control. ?I don't know what is going on in your life, but it is obvious that you just hate life, hate yourself, hate the world, and hate everybody in it. You've got some serious issues dude. ?Why don't you go check yourself into a mental institute because that is the only place that you belong. ?Just a word of advice, instead of looking at life "like a glass that is half-empty," you might want to try looking at life "like a glass that is half-full." ?haha....but, I know that isn't going to happen. ?The only thing that you are doing here is proving to everyone that you are a total and complete LIFE'S REJECT and how incredibly STUPID and IGNORANT someone from the human race can actually be.

Unbelieveable....I knew people like you existed but definitely not ones in medical school....

Another thing, you are lucky this is completely anonymous, because otherwise I guarantee you'd have many people writing to the dean of your medical school to let him/her know that you slipped through the cracks in the admission process and was somehow accepted, and hopefully the dean could find a way to get your sorry, pathetic @ss kicked out. People like you DO NOT belong in medical school or any allied health profession.

And regarding the people pursuing dentistry for money, YEAH, unfortunately, I am sure that is true in some cases, but so is this true for some people pursuing medicine, optometry, pharmacy, etc. What is your fricken' point dude. Also, that statement you made claiming that 90% of dentists are pre-med rejects, YEAH RIGHT. I'd say a more accurate number is in the 20% range unfortunately, but it is more unfortunate that people like ME have to go to dental school with these pre-med rejets. Monster2, the reason most people choose dentistry is because it offers just about the same rewards as medicine or any other health-related career, but one doesn't have to put up with all the b.s. that people in medicine/allied health professions have to put up with: HMO companies riding your @ss, stressed-out work life, being on-call, long and rigorous residency in which you get treated like total [email protected], working 70-80+ hours/week, high malpractice liability, the decreasing reputation that MDs have in today's society, the ratio of financial compensation to work hours is decreasing, and the list goes on and on. Dude, while I'm enjoying helping people serving in a profession (dentistry) that offers personal satisfaction, reasonable hours, entrepreneurship opportunities, financial rewards, and being able to take three or more days off per week to be with my family, to cruise the ocean in my boat, and to be up in the mountains in my cabin, you'll be getting sued left and right for being such a [email protected] MD, you'll be working 70-80+ hour per week, you'll be responding to your pager that will go off every hour, you'll have to put up with being told what to do and what you can't do by HMO companies, and basically you'll just be watching life pass you right on by. hahaha, yeah, but you'll be an MD....But, don't get me wrong, I do respect (most) MDs, but no WAY IN HELL do I want to go through hell and back for the rest of my life to be one. I'll pass on that ....=)

Later dude....enjoy being an MD (if you actually make it)

RacerDude2249

P.S. Please don't try to make yourself feel better, because you feel miserable for choosing a career that you are obviously TOTALLY unhappy with, by trying to put down people who have chosen a career (dentistry) in which they are happy and confident with. It is quite obvious that you feel very insecure and unhappy about your career choice.

21. MsPurtell

MsPurtell Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey Monster2,

This is not a debate board, my friend. This is a place where pre-dental students come to share ideas, ask questions and get serious answers. If you can't be a genuine part of that, what on earth are you doing here? I mean, how much time do you have on your hands? Really, I've seen you in the pre-med forum as well. What's your problem?

And, yes, please step in Dr. Scherf. A disruption has been repeatedly created here. Can't usernames be banned?

22. prolixless

prolixless Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Monster2,

Your assertions are very one-dimensional. I think you need to look at things from a global perspective. Okay, so let's assume for the sake of argument that you're correct--dentists are for the most part med-school rejects and are basically dumber than physicians. Now what are we suppossed to conclude from this? That physicians are superior to dentists? That physicians are better people than dentists? That dentists have an inferior role in society? So what if a dentist is a med-school reject--he/she performs a crucial health service for people in society and he/she ought to praised for that rather than belittled. What if most of the med-school-reject dentists actually end up being happy in dentistry?

Also, I could turn the tables around on you and compare physicians to, say, rocket scientists. I could say physicians are intellectually inferior. Any average joe can be a physician. After all, a physician is pretty much like an auto-mechanic, and my high school drop out cousin is a mechanic. So, for the sake of argument, what if being a physician is not all that intellectually challenging relative to other careers? Does that mean that physicians are not crucial to society? Does that mean that someone can't be happy if they're a physician?

One other thing. If dentists really are intellectually inferior to physicians, does that mean that physicians are necessarily better health care providers? You forget that medicine is both a science and an ART. It's not enough for a physician to be smart, but he/she must be empathetic and have an ability to communicate with diverse groups of peoples. If you separate the science aspect from the art aspect of medicine, that's when negligence and malpractice starts to creep in.

Monster2, you think you're just providing us with a healthy dose of reality when in fact you are belittling the importance of one group of people in society (i.e. dentists) while asserting another group of people as superior (i.e physicians). If you want to be a good physician, you ought to learn to respect the many varieties of careers and people life; because the fact of the matter is that we need all kinds of people with all kinds of jobs to make this world run smoothly.

23. bad_hombre

bad_hombre Member
    7+ Year Member

Monster2,

hey buddy, why all the adversity toward predents? what are you trying to achieve by all this? let me guess: ego boost.

let us assume that you are right, for a moment. what the f$%# do you expect us to do? do you want us to accept that you are right? to kneel down and apologize for not realizing earlier that we ARE med school rejects? do you really expect us to suck your d*^%, even if all of what you say is true? :confused:
    well, the truth is no one here is going to bow down to your wishes, because everyone here has too much pride in themselves to accept that you may be right. thus, it is a futility to come here and try to convince others of your ideas, because frankly, no one here is really listening to you.

maybe if you go to the premed forum, and pour your rhetoric comments there, you can find people that agree with you. that, or most people will think you're an idiot.

do me a favour and try that, just to see what kind of response you get from other premeds who need an ego boost. then let me know how it went. it'd be interesting to know how many kids like you there are out there.
    :p

24. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

Yes.....you are so keen in seening that ALL dentists are practicing denial. I think you should be next in line for the Darwin Award.

Riddle me this, riddle me that...........how do explain the fact that Oral Surgeons have both MD and DDS, and yet still considered dentists?

25. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Why are you folks wasting all your time, your energy, the energy being expended on recycled electrons, with responding to someone so undeserving in character, maturity and intellectual development? Let him or her rant to the wind. The twisted satisfaction he/she gets from your responses only charge the batteries. You only help keep the orgasm going.

Pity is the appropriate response and prayer to whatever God or gods you worship that someone like this never gets to be a health professional of any kind, even if, by some twist of fate and perish the thought, a dentist. Or even a five and dime store clerk.

I will not revisit this thread so the appropriately self-named monster can keep passing wind, but I won't be here to smell it!

26. puffy1

puffy1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think this is the most attention monster2 has ever gotten in his life (and he's probably loving it).

27. prolixless

prolixless Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I could actually care less what monster thinks or whether or not I change his mind. My only concern is that there are tons of pre-meds out there who think just like monster does, and I don't want their beliefs being reinforced when they read this poster. Also, SDN has done an excellent job of staving off arrogant and abusive posts. I wouldn't want monster to think he can turn this place into another TPR site.

28. RacerDude2249

7+ Year Member

hahahaha.....where did Monster2 go...

I think he crawled back into his cave wimpering.... :D

29. monster2

monster2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Racerdude you ignoramus, thanks for proving my point about pre-dents not having what it takes. Only the fittest and mentally persevering people make it to medicine. You are a fine example of one who opted for the easy way out. In fact, your negative view of medicine greatly overshadows my criticism of dentistry.

30. monster2

monster2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Settle down and take it easy folks. The tone of your responses only prove my point. First of all, I do not accuse dentists of being useless, rather I am simply giving you the state of dental school applicants and their true motivations. I swear, if you step out in the real world and ask around, you'll find my statistics accurate. There has also been a move to make dentistry a specialty of medicine, and therefore many future pre-dents will have to go through the same intense and rigorous process pre-meds face. Until that happens, what I said is dentistry, status quo.

But for now, let's stop trying to be saints and look at things critically. The ease of dental applications only ENCOURAGES my presentations... the fact that dentistry becomes a popular safety for pre-meds. That alone makes up the majority of pre-dents to be actually pre-meds who didn't make it. After all aren't the academic requirements of pre-dents and pre-meds the same? Furthermore, I only responded to a former thread questioning comparisons of mental exertion between medicine and dentistry... it is clearly apparent that the practice of dentistry requires little thought. And as racerdude clearly exemplifies, pressure situations are not often encountered in dentistry.

You know, you folks should really lighten up, heck, I don't want to meet an angry dentist with a drill when I have a toothache. But when you put together all what I have said, you will realize why many people consider dentists to be pseudodoctors. I even professed that I also am interested in dentistry and when I did say that to many of my colleagues, they just look at me funny and laughed. They claimed it's better to be a D.O. than a D.D.S.

31. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    monster2 is taking a lot of heat.... :D

32. dude7

dude7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Every job needs to be respected Monster. Who are you to tell that a is better than b. Come on now, i will give to you thatit is GENRALLY harder to get an MD accpetance and the MCAT is harder than the DAT, but who cares honestly. Not everyone wants to be president just because it maybe the best job in the world. ALso, are your teeth rotting because you dont appreciate dentists>

33. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Monster 2 deserves the heat. First, his basic premise that "most dental school students are medical school rejects" is not based upon any documented studies. He, in fact, would not be able to cite any such studies. Second, his statements only reflect upon his ego driven immature attitude.

I and my family have benefited from the services of an MD, DO, DDS, DPM, OD, DC, PA, RDH, ARNP, RN, LPN, acupuncterist, massage therapist, orthopedic surgeon, opthamologist, pharmacist, dermatologist, gynecolgist, pediatrician, obstetrician, enodontist, periodontist, and EMT. All of the above were referred by or worked in conjunction with our family physician or dentist. No one field has a monopoly on providing the best total health care service. The mature members of the health care community realize that fact and strive to work as a team for the over all benefit of those needing their services.

34. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    just wanted to let others know that monster2 is taking some heat in other forums..... making the same type of statements..... So, yes, he/she does deserve it.... :D

35. MedCA1

MedCA1 New Member

Groundhog,

Very nice and eliquotely put...I couldn't have said it better!

36. pete.

pete. Member
    7+ Year Member

Has it occured to anyone that monster2 enjoys the heat. He/she is an antagonist at the core and absolutely loves all of these responses. Please just let this string die...

37. Richard R Scherf

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Monster 2's IP address: 140.247.37.254
    Also using 140.247.37.253

Host name: net-14147.fas.harvard.edu

Sender is using a server at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

This information is public knowledge.
    :cool: Glad to be of service.

RRS

38. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ohhh that explains the snootiness, insenitivity, ignorance, etc., etc.!!! :D

Thanks for sharing that.... I guess this monster2 guy just has a big head to begin with.... :D

39. Wow, reminds me why I told my cousin to choose Yale! ;)

That's some real mean stuff that this guy said about dentistry.

I respect my dentist as much as any doctor I've been to. He's also as smart as every one of them. I'd hate to see any physician who thinks he's better than anyone else.

No matter what job you have, you could be good at it. The job you have doesn't always indicate how smart you are. Some of my most interesting conversations on existentialism and novels have come in the grocery store and the Seven-Eleven!

And, truthfully, I'd rather have a doctor, and be a doctor who is compassionate, than be the smartest person in the world.

I once heard some powerful words, that:

'physicians are in the business of saving lives'

True or not, arrogance does not accomplish such an extraordinary feat. Whether you are from Harvard, Yale, or Drek University (no offense to Drexel), you should know your role in this world, and that you are no better than anyone who is striving to be anything.

I am not impressed by where someone's from, I am impressed by where someone's going.

40. RacerDude2249

7+ Year Member

Thanks for that info. Dr. Scherf.

Well, my impression of Harvard just went down the toilet. Basically all I am picturing now is a bunch of snot-nosed, pampered, arrogant, pompous, never-had-to-work in their life, annoying GEEKS who are socially inept and mentally/psychologically incompetent. I think whenever I go to a health-professional in the future, whether it be a DDS, MD, DO, PA, or anything, if they have been schooled in any part of their educational process at Harvard, I'm high-tailing it OUT-OF-THERE.

Anyway, this will be my last thread on this post as I do not want to bring any more attention to that sniffling, pampered, baby-bottle drinking Monster2....hehe

Adios,
    Racerdude2249

41. DentalCare

DentalCare New Member

Monster2

I think it's funny that you admit yourself a monster. I just hope that you can see clearly enough that medical school students like you happen to be common sense regets. Think about a plumber , are you telling me that they're not as intellegent, if not more, as any cardiologist? Oh, except most don't need to go to school to be a plumber, they naturally get it. At least I have the RESPECT for others such that I can admit who may be smarter than me. Unfortunately, you are far behind. Maybe Harvard Medical School students have such little brain power that they forget what they write. If there was someone that had a 37 MCAT, shouldn't you high and mighty folk know this person since you are from Harvard?

You @$$, why are you comparing careers? Are you about to get kicked out of med school and trying to mask your fears, or is life getting to you that much?

I feel bad for you. There's no way that even you can like yourself. Anyway, believe it or not, there are people out there that never realized the conflict between DENTISTS and doctors until they read your ignorantly misspelled and grammatically errored posts. Learn to type or don't draw attention to yourself. I'd never want to be like you, especially in the fact that you are going to be an MD. Not an envious bone in my body, and I am amused by your posts, please post again. I love showing my med school friends how ignorant the whole medical species can be.

Thanks!

42. Sterichind

Sterichind Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Monster,

I want you to do me a favor. Next time you are in a dental office, tell them how you feel about dentists. Better yet, when you have to see an oral surgeon, tell him he's really not a surgeon. Tell me how it goes. You smuck!

43. dude7

dude7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hahaha smuck. monster is a smuck. that was a random comment because i dont want to start taking gross anatomy soon

44. monster2

monster2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

OK, I'm sorry. Really, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for having a discussion with all of you brainless and one-sided fools. If I had such a big head to begin with, then it is only logical that I would have initially stated that I am from Harvard. I would have corrected MedCa1's spelling of "eliquotely" (a shame, being a fourth year medical student who couldn't spell right... think of misspelled prescriptions). I would have humiliated DentalCare for calling me unintelligent when he in fact used incorrect words like "regets" and "intellegent" (and he accuse me of misspelled words and grammar, when his post is so full of errors, hahaha).

Haven't I made myself any clearer when I stated that I never accused dentists to be useless? I merely corrected some of you for thinking that dental school is has the same, or more difficulty than medical school. And to top it off, it is true that dentistry is regarded as the net that hauls pre-meds who fall from the mountains of medical school. As for racerdude, deep down, you'd very much LIKE to be part of the Harvard system (but with your ridicules, it is safe to assume that you do not have half a brain to do so).

And some hypocrites here stated about the pride of having other jobs like plumbing and air condition repair? I question your honesty. Those have had to be the most absurd, self-fulfilling posts as of yet. Do you guys actually believe what you wrote? I mean please, showing unbiased respect to plumbers and AC repair? How in the world could anybody actually take pride in doing such menial, meaningless work? It requires no
    education and no skills (unless you count pushing a plunger a skill). Seriously, how can you take pride in knowing that every single day you have to come to work and
    clean up the mess that MOST people wouldn't dream themselves doing? I don't care from what angle you look at it, there is no pride at all in doing such a job that requires the skills of a 10 year old (if
    that). You all say you show respect when YOU wouldn't think twice of not being in their shoes. It's kind of like eating dirt,
    and trying to convince youself it tastes good. So don't try to veer off-topic and ignite emotion to protect your treasured "dentistry" over medicine. It has nothing to do with other jobs. In fact, I have more faith in nursing students... now these people may have motivation for compassion. But in medicine and dentistry, it really comes down to money, and with all that I have explained to you, dentistry falls prey to money hungry pre-med rejects (and yes, I admit, the majority of pre-meds are in it for money).

45. The people who I have the most respect for are not the sinecures, but the ones who clean up feces and mop up vomit in hospitals to make a living, the ones who have to deal with the dregs of society so that you won't have to. These are the people I truly respect, and I agree, some of that stuff I cannot see myself doing, but I totally admire the people who do it. That's what impresses me.

46. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    monster2.... I sure don't want someone like you to work with, but I'm sure there are plenty of your type out there.... Just a thought....

47. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Note that Monster 2 has backed away from his original unverifiable position which held that "most if not all dentists are med school rejects."

In its place, he offers us a truly meaningless comment: "dentistry falls prey to pre-med rejects." What does that mean? Any freshman English comp professor would eat Monster 2 alive on that prime example of ambiguous prose. Ok, I'll give Monster 2 a break and pretend that I get the gist of that statement. But tell me folks, do any of you know anyone who was ever rejected from pre-med? I know people who were not accepted to undergraduate school, people who flunked out of undergraduate school, people who were not accepted to undergraduate engineering school, and people who were not accepted to undergraduate dental hygiene school. On the other hand, my experience has been that anyone accepted to undergraduate school can declare themselves to be pre-med. I've never known of anyone to be forced to recant that declaration even if put on probation or expelled for poor academic performance. Maybe Monster 2 can enlighten me on what constitutes a "pre-med reject."

48. DentalCare

DentalCare New Member

Monster2-

Did you have to use spell check to find those errors, or did you manage to find them all by yourself? You see, some of us wake up at five in the morning and have more to do then insult the world in general and run spell check. Your attempts to humiliate me would not be fruitful, I am proud of what I do, because it is part of who I am. I know that I am a good person, and that is what matters to me. Don't you wish you could say the same? I refuse to go around insulting innocent posts for their use of bad English (You, FEILD DAY!), but I will defend a forum that I think is extremely helpful to most of the people that come here. If you don't like it, don't come back, none of us will miss you.

I think that it's funny that in every post of yours, there is at least one word that is used out of context. I am not saying that I am perfect, and neither are you. Don't go around insulting other people just to make yourself look better. It's not working.

You are a pretty mad person; all of your posts are negative. If you have such a bad opinion of dentists, why do you spend so much time in our forum? Just because you didn't get accepted into medical school, doesn't give you a right to lash out on dentists, plumbers, or anyone else for that matter. Just remember that it's guys like you that make so many women dread dates with men from Harvard. Great school, but you know what they say about the bad apples. They all seem to fall of the trees at Harvard. Don't bother taking it out on us, you do no good to this site, your posts are negative and you are not welcome. Or are you TOTALLY oblivious to our warm reception?

Get a clue!

49. prolixless

prolixless Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Monster, I think your perception of dentistry and other careers is not only naive because it assumes too much, but disrespectful because it belittles others. It's disappointing that no one here has the ability to teach you to respect and admire what people do for a living. I think life needs to throw a few humiliating and rigorous experiences at you for you to learn to respect others.

At any rate, allow me to point out an obvious fallacy in your claims. First, you argue that AC repair men, dentists, and the like practice menial, meaningless work, and that there is little pride to be gained from it. Not only is there no strong evidence to support such claims, but this is the way YOU feel about these fields, and not necessarily the way others feel about these fields. To infer that the rest of the world views AC repair, plumbing, and dentistry as unprideful, meaningless and menial work--simply because you view these fields this way--violates the most basic systems of logic. Simply put, the ways of happiness for Monster2 do not define the ways of happiness for the rest of the world. I do think it's brave of you, however, to think your perceptions of meaning and happiness are a paradigm for the rest of the world.

50. bad_hombre

bad_hombre Member
    7+ Year Member

It is true that medicine and dentistry both have many aspects that make them more respectable to the general public than plumbing and reparing air conditioners. However, it is absurd to consider ourselves morally superior as predents and premeds. Although we are poised to make more money and drive faster cars, we should not put down those that are less fortunate than we are. After all, whose fault is it that they are in a lower position than we? Most of us were born with silver spoons up our a$$es, yet we could have just as easily been born on the other side of the tracks. And it's just not money. Our personal attributes, including intelligence, have been distributes as randomly as our socio-economic position.

Thus we should treat plumbers with all the respect we would like if we would have found ourselves in their position. If anything, hard-working plumbers should be commended, not necessarily for their menial tasks, but for the fact that they're actually out there doing something instead of sitting at home collecting welfare cheques. I'm pretty sure that's what I'd be doing if I was in their position.