To Transfer or Not to Transfer...that is the question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saffronrain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I read another thread a while back about someone wanting to transfer to Univ. of Maryland since their old school wasn't reputable... I think I've got the same problem, although the education here isn't too bad.
Freshman year I went to Boston University and I didn't do well. At all. The class sizes were huge and the professors weren't too accessible. Plus, I was forking over $40 grand for an education where you taught yourself because the professors would read right out of the textbook.. So I decided to transfer, and now I go to Sacred Heart University in CT. I highly doubt many/any of you have heard of it. I don't know what my chances of getting into Med School are if I'll be graduating from SHU. I'm doing really well, but it's not as competitive as BU was, so would it hurt me in the end? I am not sure if I should transfer maybe to Temple Univ. or Drexel Univ. for Fall '05...? :confused:
Any suggestions?

~S~

Members don't see this ad.

Just do well in your classes and the MCATs. It's more important being in a place you can succeed at then a place with a good reputation where you will struggle.

saffronrain said:
So I read another thread a while back about someone wanting to transfer to Univ. of Maryland since their old school wasn't reputable... I think I've got the same problem, although the education here isn't too bad.
Freshman year I went to Boston University and I didn't do well. At all. The class sizes were huge and the professors weren't too accessible. Plus, I was forking over $40 grand for an education where you taught yourself because the professors would read right out of the textbook.. So I decided to transfer, and now I go to Sacred Heart University in CT. I highly doubt many/any of you have heard of it. I don't know what my chances of getting into Med School are if I'll be graduating from SHU. I'm doing really well, but it's not as competitive as BU was, so would it hurt me in the end? I am not sure if I should transfer maybe to Temple Univ. or Drexel Univ. for Fall '05...? :confused:
Any suggestions?

~S~

The only reason you should be transfering to another school is beacause you your not happy at that school not beacause you are concerened abt its reputation when you around to applying to med school. It doesnt matter where you go the only that that matters is that you are happy and that your doing well which looks like thats going on sacred heart in CT. I go to a state school and its certinaly has no real repuatation but it doesnt matter beacause we all cant go to harvard. So in the end if your doing well at the school you like, then it wouldnt really hurt you at all. When you think abt it there many applicatants who are in state schools you apply to med school and get into, now unless your wanting to go to HMS, harvard med school, then i wouldt really bank on the idea of going to a well known undergrad instuition. Just get a good gpa and good mcats and decent EC'S and you will bound to get into somewhere. Also not to mention, some poeple even go to community college for a while and take classes there and then they go to a 4 year college to get there pre reqs done and then they apply to med school and even get in. So i wouldnt sweat it to much :)

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Reputation probably does matter some, but if you transfer out of a place you are doing well, to a place you don't like, your grades may suffer.

Keep your GPA up, do well on the MCAT, get some solid LOR's and EC's and you'll do fine.

P.s. I am also a member of the "where-the-hell-is-this-school?" club....

:) thanks guys. you're right, i should just focus on the academics here first, and if people in worse situations can get into med school then so can i. thanks for the motivation! :)

~S~

what did you end up doing?

sacred heart is known, no worries.