Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

to U.Mich interviewees

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chef, Feb 4, 2002.

1. chef

chef Senior Member

Hi,
    I'm interviewing at U.Mich. this month, and I was wondering if many of you were asked the "what are your thoughts of US healthcare system"-type questions. I heard from a fella that U.Mich tends to ask a lot of these healthcare issue questions, is this true?

I'm asking b/c I'm a mstp applicant, and for some reason I was never asked any of these questions at my interviews. (Well, most schools I've been to did not distinguish MD or MDPHD interviews, but U.Mich apparently does.)

thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ccryder

ccryder Member

I was asked a "healthcare" question by one of my interviewers there.

4. El Jefe

El Jefe The Jefe

So was I. And how to solve it, which I only got asked at Michigan.

5. I was not asked this question at my interview there, but I was asked about improving health care problems at another school. You should always be prepared to answer this question. It will come up sooner or later.

6. chef

chef Senior Member

thanks for your replies. So do you guys have any suggestions how to prepare/answer these q's?

tia

7. ccryder

ccryder Member

Check out the AMSA website. They have a break down of all of the proposed healthcare bills and rate them according to their standards (ie. they are big proponents of Universal Healthcare). They also have a report called Managed Care 101 that goes over all of the aspects of Managed Care in the US. It's a good site. For ethical questions, check out the UW Bioethics site. They have reports on every ethical topic you can think of. Good luck!

8. Sprockette

Sprockette Senior Member

Just thought I'd add...at umich, I was asked to identify the issues that I thought were the biggest problems facing doctors/the medical field today...

9. Mr.D

Mr.D insipidus maximus

Medical Student
    Hey guys,

Will any of you be interviewing in Ann Arbor
    on March 1st? Hope to see any of you there.
    Oh, btw, any recommendations on hotels or
    places to stay? Thanks.

10. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey chef:

I'm an MSTP applicant and I interviewed at U Mich a couple months ago. Their interview days were very busy...I must have talked to 15 different people. They also have you do the normal MD interview day, but the nice thing is that you don't have to do the rest of the MD interview day stuff if you don't want to. The MD interview consists of three consecutive 30 minute interviews. They're pretty laid back, and I thought they were very lame, especially after the high quality discussions I'd had in my MD/PhD interviews. A couple of the interviewers did ask ethical/medical questions, like what is managed care and what are it's advantages/drawbacks, and what I thought was the biggest problem in modern healthcare. But, he was very cool with my answers and told me that he'd reccomend me (I later got accepted). The student I interviewed with was real arrogant, and I didn't like him. But, in the end I don't think it matters too much...they are there basically to OK you for the MD/PhD...I think if the MSTP people like you, you're pretty much set.

Anyhow, U Mich is a great place, enjoy your time there.

Good luck,

Adam