To UCSF interview 'vets'--to thank or not to thank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady in red

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You probably can guess what I am talking about--you guys saw that blue piece of paper that said in bold letters that communications with interviewers is not appropriate. So, did you send a thank you (email, note) anyways? I remember BeckyG said she sent one to the whole group? Is it rude to send one if they say don't send it?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent my thank you notes straight to the UCSF office with a little note where I basically said I knew we weren't supposed to contact the interviewers with questions, but if it would be alright for them to recieve the notes, I hoped the office person or whoever would forward them to the right place. I figure that way, at least the notes will end up in my file. Mostly, I wanted the commitee to know UCSF is my complete and total first choice. I think I am going to go crazy with the waiting ... are they serious that we won't hear for eight weeks?

Originally posted by English Chick:
•I sent my thank you notes straight to the UCSF office with a little note where I basically said I knew we weren't supposed to contact the interviewers with questions, but if it would be alright for them to recieve the notes, I hoped the office person or whoever would forward them to the right place. I figure that way, at least the notes will end up in my file. •••

That seems like a good compromise to me. But I don't suppose I'm allowed to post here, as I haven't even gotten a secondary from UCSF yet, let alone an interview. :D I'll retreat gracefully. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
if they explicitly said to not send anything, I wouldn't bother. It's just more a** kissing. I guess maybe they like that though. Sigh...

I sent in thank you notes. My friend who is going there this year also sent thank you notes. He just thought it was a good idea to send thank you notes to schools that you interview in general. I don't think it will hurt and it goes through the admissions office first anyways.

"Although we appreciate your thoughtfulness in sending thank you notes after your interview day, please be advised that it really is not necessary."

So what's the question...
rolleyes1.gif

Didn't send them. I kinda liked the fact that they cut the bs. Sure I connected with my interviewers but if I really feel I need to talk to them again I can seek them out when the application process is over with.

I totally like that they said don't send them. I personally think thank you notes are somewhat of a silly idea. Do you send a thank you note after a job interview? Not usually, it would almost be somewhat unprofessional. I don't understand why this is different, although I certainly can agree that there are interviewers/schools out there that find them nice and there might be some that really expect them.

i didnt see that sheet. I sent them in. BUt b4 i did I called to get addresses and asked Valerie how many people send in ty notes. She said 30-40%. BUt she was receptive to the idea. BUt of course she said "the're not necessary". Im sure she would of said something if there was a strong opposition to them.

I left thank you notes when I was there, the admissions office told me that they just go in your file, not to the interviewers. Anyway, since when is thanking someone for taking time to interview you a** kissing? Most interviewers are busy faculty who volunteer a lot of their time to interview candidates, write evaluations, and attend ad comm meetings. I think that warrants a thank you note (not a novel- but a few simple lines thanking them for their time)... but that is just my opinion.

Hey none -

"Thank You" letters are a definate after job interviews...and yes, people do send them. At that level it's seen as more of a "professional" courtesy, and believe me it goes a long way in speaking about your respect and professionalism. After interviewing 5,10, or 15 people for a job wouldn't you think twice about the one who took the time to thank you for the opportunity?

As Lady said, I did send in one letter thanking my interviewers, tour guides/students who talked with me, and the admissions staff. The directive they give you makes it obvious that the letter goes only in your file - but remember that your interviewers are the ones who do the review of your file - so if you do something nice and they see it, all the better. Thank you cards should never be done solely for butt kissing; that's a waste of time and it will show in the writing.

But, I will say this - I interview for my undergrad college and I always appreciate when the applicant sends me a thank you card. I never expect one, but it definitely makes me think well of them -- that they are courteous enough to take the time to write it. That effort definitely helps me write them a better letter for them to the Committee. Hope this helps,

Becky

The way I figure it-- it's something my mother would tell me to so-- Moms are usually good when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Besides I talked to an admissions officer who mentioned that if he was choosing between 2 applicants with very similar credentials--one had written a thank you note and one hadn't--he would chose the one who wrote it. Wouldn't you? That's the world we live in I guess.

P.S.- the admissions officer wasn't at UCSF but you guys get the idea :)