To URM or not to URM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omare61

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sdn,

I just want to start off saying that I am NOT a troll and this question is asked with all seriousness. Yes, I know this is my first post--plz don't mistaken me for a troll. I'm a long time SDN viewer, first time poster. This questions led me to make an account. Moving on:

My questions is should I apply URM. I have attached a picture of myself.

Details of my ethnicity:

My mom is of middle eastern Origin (Turkey)
My Father is of African American origin.

Okay, so now you know that I am a URM. Great. But I want adcoms to see it. Do you think by the way I look in the picture that adcoms will be sure that I am indeed half African american. Or should I completely avoid suspicions and apply as white?

My name is Muslim by the way.

I do want the URM boost, but I do not want the interviews to go wrong--especially at schools like howard.

I need your opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For all practical purposes, if your father is black then you're black, but the biggest question is what do you consider yourself to be?

btw, I've never noticed a distinguishing feature about black chins; I'll be sure to take mental notes of the chins of all the black people I see from now on and try to make a connection.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all practical purposes, if your father is black then you're black, but the biggest question is what do you consider yourself to be?

btw, I've never noticed a distinguishing feature about black chins; I'll be sure to take mental notes of the chins of all the black people I see from now on and try to make a connection.

+1.

Your interviewer, upon examining your features for 30 min., will not jump across the table and scream, "imposter!" Fear not. If you identify as black put that on your app.

I'd say apply as URM. There are two reasons for the URM boost: (1) Some patients are racist, and (2) Medical schools like to brag about their diversity.

Given your appearance, the first reason does not apply, but the second does.

African Americans come in all shades and hair textures (and chins? lol). You shouldn't worry about your appearance. Choose what you feel is your ethnicity and concentrate on things more important to your application.

Good luck!

By the tone of your post, it doesn't sound like you identify with your father's side, and just want to use the fact that you're half black to get a boost. In interviews, they will ask you how you've been a part of ____ minority group and what you've done with ____ community as a member of that community...if you can't answer that, well, you're out of the game.

Just put down what you really feel you are. If that's half black/half white, go for that.

PS, your photo reminds me of a Middle Eastern person. Not a black person.

By the tone of your post, it doesn't sound like you identify with your father's side, and just want to use the fact that you're half black to get a boost. In interviews, they will ask you how you've been a part of ____ minority group and what you've done with ____ community as a member of that community...if you can't answer that, well, you're out of the game.

Just put down what you really feel you are. If that's half black/half white, go for that.

+1, You could not have explained the situation better. Yes, I do want to identify with the African American minority for the boost. Getting that boost is indeed fair because it is who I really am so there is no question of dishonesty.

How have I been a part of a minority group? I dont select which racial community that I volunteer for, I volunteer for all racial groups. I grew up in a predominantly ghetto neighborhood, other than that, I have no idea how to answer those questions.

And yes, my photo reminds people of a middle-eastern person--that is the problem. I don't want to look like I am dishonest or tricking the Adcoms when they see me--especially at African American Medical schools like Howard. (And that is why I am asking for people's opinions on what I should do)

Thanks for your input!

If you think you're black, you're black. There are plenty of light skinned people with black parents, take a look at Jason Kidd. But it's not what you look like, it's how you identify and why.

What have you been checking before.... what did you check when you registered to vote, on job apps and other apps.

:thumbup:

Were you a part of your university's African-American student association, and if so, what was your role? What have you done to serve the African-American community?

If you don't have good answers to those and many other related questions, I'd think twice before deciding which box to check.

hopefully they will approve your blackness

How have I been a part of a minority group? I dont select which racial community that I volunteer for, I volunteer for all racial groups. I grew up in a predominantly ghetto neighborhood, other than that, I have no idea how to answer those questions.

That is a perfectly valid answer. You don't selectively volunteer with populations based on their race but strive to help all.

Your race doesn't change based on how you act. Write your race on the application and stop stressing about whether you look enough like the stereotype.

Ignore the pre-meds telling you that you should have been a member of an African-American pride group in college to "qualify."

Members don't see this ad :)

Were you a part of your university's African-American student association, and if so, what was your role? What have you done to serve the African-American community?

If you don't have good answers to those and many other related questions, I'd think twice before deciding which box to check.

I wouldn't. It's a simple question, people put too much thought into this. Either you identify as black or you don't. If you do, you don't have to "prove" that you're black to others. If they don't feel that you've done enough "black" stuff, so what? There's nothing you can do about that. I've never done a single "black" activity in my life, what does it matter? Most asians aren't part of asian clubs, ditto for whites and everyone else. Don't over complicate this, just check the box and move on.

I don't see why has to accept this battery of questions.
Just because your skin color is the same color as a minority group, does not automatically mean you align with them.

I have brown skin, I am of south east asian heritage (Indian/Pakistani) but I do not practice Islam, I do not observe any holidays, I do not have any friends of the same skin color, I don't even eat the food.

If an adcom asked me a question like that, I'd have no reservations against calling them out on it. What they're exhibiting is racism.

I don't see why has to accept this battery of questions.
Just because your skin color is the same color as a minority group, does not automatically mean you align with them.

I have brown skin, I am of south east asian heritage (Indian/Pakistani) but I do not practice Islam, I do not observe any holidays, I do not have any friends of the same skin color, I don't even eat the food.

If an adcom asked me a question like that, I'd have no reservations against calling them out on it. What they're exhibiting is racism.
As far as I can tell from reading threads on SDN, those questions are asked to URMs, not ORMs like South or East Asians.
Also, it has to do with seeing if there has been involvement in their own community, as there are troubles with these populations sometimes being underserved communities.

Regarding the questioning, I wrote it off a bit strong I think. Certainly it isn't some question that will be asked, but there is a possibility that they may ask you if you've engaged with your minority group on campus or worked with your minority group...medical schools like having people that work with diverse populations -- it's not just an issue of having diverse students, but students that work well with all kinds of people.

Also,
Narmerguy said:
you don't have to "prove" that you're black to others. If they don't feel that you've done enough "black" stuff, so what? There's nothing you can do about that.

Can't you check multiple? Because you are of mixed ethnicity regardless of whom you identify with. I know white kids who are white, but grew up in the ghetto of ghetto Detroit and are much more "black" than I am growing up in the smaller ghetto of a different city. Are they white? Yes, but then they certainly identify with "black" culture.

You are "white" and "black", write it down and let ADCOMS do the rest.

Can't you check multiple? Because you are of mixed ethnicity regardless of whom you identify with. I know white kids who are white, but grew up in the ghetto of ghetto Detroit and are much more "black" than I am growing up in the smaller ghetto of a different city. Are they white? Yes, but then they certainly identify with "black" culture.

Curious to know what you consider "black" culture to be?

Thanks for the responses

I have been asked "who do you identify with" many times. I do identify as black and white, but the problem is: I fear that adcoms will think I am being dishonest/lying to get an advantage over others.

How will adcoms know that I am not lying when I say I am black--Is there any chance I could take pictures of my parents and I-and post them? Will adcoms look at my social security records to verify my race (I hope they do)?

Does anyone know?

And In a way, I wish the URM advantage doesn't exist so medical schools wouldn't be skeptical about your race when you post it; in another way URM is something that comes to my advantage.

Last edited:
Hello sdn,

I just want to start off saying that I am NOT a troll and this question is asked with all seriousness. Yes, I know this is my first post--plz don't mistaken me for a troll. I'm a long time SDN viewer, first time poster. This questions led me to make an account. Moving on:

My questions is should I apply URM. I have attached a picture of myself.

Details of my ethnicity:

My mom is of middle eastern Origin (Turkey)
My Father is of African American origin.

Okay, so now you know that I am a URM. Great. But I want adcoms to see it. Do you think by the way I look in the picture that adcoms will be sure that I am indeed half African american. Or should I completely avoid suspicions and apply as white?

My name is Muslim by the way.

forsdneyes.jpg

You can clearly see that my skin is not white. My nose, chin and hair show African features. How easy to see are these?

I do want the URM boost, but I do not want the interviews to go wrong--especially at schools like howard.

I need your opinion.

Çakalhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbfkJarheg

Last edited:
Not really a dilemma at all. If you identify as black or half black, indicate as such. No one is going to ask you to prove it. No one is going to ask you how you fit into the black community -- as long as you don't misrepresent yourself as someone who wants to practice in predominantly black communities.

lol there is no such thing as being more "black" than someone else. Society has associated the term "ghetto" with "black" and now people use them synonymously, which is very ignorant and asinine.

Thanks for the responses

I have been asked "who do you identify with" many times. I do identify as black and white, but the problem is: I fear that adcoms will think I am being dishonest/lying to get an advantage over others.

How will adcoms know that I am not lying when I say I am black--Is there any chance I could take pictures of my parents and I-and post them? Will adcoms look at my social security records to verify my race (I hope they do)?

Does anyone know?

And In a way, I wish the URM advantage doesn't exist so medical schools wouldn't be skeptical about your race when you post it; in another way URM is something that comes to my advantage.

For goodness sakes if you identify as both pick one and go with it. If you are trying to leverage being black to your advantage, know that it goes beyond having the skin color and don't be surprised if uncomfortable questions follow. Adcoms will not ask for pictures of your parents to prove you are black or white or ecru. Who do you take these people for?

It is almost as if you believe that the URM students who did get in with less than Harvard worthy GPA and MCAT scores had nothing else in their applications which convinced the Adcoms to consider them acceptable. If this was the case, there would likely be more URM's in medical schools than currently is the case. I mean think about it, if it was possible that one was guaranteed a place a medical school even with a mediocre GPA, lackluster MCAT and junky EC's just by checking a box, we would have a case of too many rather than too few. Humans are humans nomatter the race and most people would take the easy way out if it were available.

From what people who would know have been saying, Adcoms will scrutinize your application with the whole URM thing in mind if your PS or EC's indicate that you are somehow involved beyond just basic identification with some minority group and intend to pursue such endeavours.If you do not intend to work with underserved populations, don't mention it on your application. If you don't think your mixed heritage will help you bring some kind of diversity, chose some other topic to focus on for your diversity essay. Get the grades and the MCAT and everything else to make you as competitive as possible and submit your application with a clear conscience.

Questions like these, honestly, are insulting to those minority students who do take their studies seriously and who do wish to serve their communities.

Last edited:
For goodness sakes if you identify as both pick one and go with it. Either way you are not trying to leverage it to your advantage ( or so you say). Adcoms will not ask for pictures of your parents to prove you are black or white or ecru. Who do you take these people for?

It is almost as if you believe that the URM students who did get in with less than Harvard worthy GPA and MCAT scores had nothing else in their applications which convinced the Adcoms to consider then acceptable. If this was the case there would likely be more URM's in medical schools than currently is the case. I mean think about it, if it was possible that one was guaranteed a place a medical school even with a mediocre GPA, lackluster MCAT and junky EC's just by checking a box, we would have a case of too many rather than too few. Humans are humans nomatter the race and most people would take the easy way out if it were available.

From what people who would know have been saying adcoms will scrutinize your application with the whole URM thing in mind if your PS or EC's indicates that you are somehow involved beyond just basic identification with some minority group and intend to pursue such endeavours.If you do not intend to work with underserved populations, don't mention it on your application. If you don't think your mixed heritage will help you bring some kind of diversity, chose some other topic to focus on for your diversity essay. Get the grades and the MCAT and everything else to make you as competitive as possible submit your application with a clear conscience.

Questions like these, honestly, are insulting to those minority students who do take their studies seriously and who do wish to serve their communities.

I wish to serve my communities. Any advice as to how to do that? I do not think there are any African American only groups I could join.

What can I do? I'm willing to offer my help, I just don't know who wants it..

I wish to serve my communities. Any advice as to how to do that? I do not think there are any African American only groups I could join.

What can I do? I'm willing to offer my help, I just don't know who wants it..

:) You sound so sincere I feel guilty for sort yelling at you.

Well, first it is not about joining an African American group. Underserved people are underserved people, nomatter what race. I would say look for EC's which enable you to work with people less privileged than yourself. Soup kitchens, homeless shelters, free clinics what have you.

Talk, listen, try to understand where these people come from. Keep in mind that you are not just going there to improve your application, if you wish to really serve them then you need to try to empathize with them, see life from their perspectives. What are the challenges they face? What are their hopes and dreams? What can you really do to help them? What are you getting out of the experience? How will it make you a better doctor? You are not a messiah going in to make their lives better. I imagine some of these people would easily cuss you out and screw you over, but the bottom line for now and when you become a doctor, is that you were there to help when it was needed.

When you do get around to writing a PS, you will then be able to speak with genuine sincerity about how you want to help underserved or underrepresented populations and the adcoms will believe you because your actions will speak louder than your words. If you are a member of an underserved community, even better because they are assured that you are more likely to be committed to these communities during your medical education and after you graduate.

Last edited:
Curious to know what you consider "black" culture to be?

No, I can not because I don't self identify. However, there are several people i know of different races and ethnicities that will readily tell you they identify with "black" culture more readily. I personally do not agree with this definition, but seeing how this is the commonality where I live and grew up, I learned to accept it. Most often that not "black" and/or "AA" culture has been directly associated with hip hop and rap muscial sub cultures. As I said, these are self identification from a multitude of persons as well as readings and my experiences growing up. Of course your experiences will be different :)

lol there is no such thing as being more "black" than someone else. Society has associated the term "ghetto" with "black" and now people use them synonymously, which is very ignorant and asinine.

Yes I understand there is no such thing as being more "black" than someone, but the sickingly honest truth is that there are many people who have this incredibly insensitive idea that growing up here and doing this or having it hard, etc etc, makes them more "black" than an associate AA or POC that did not grow up similarily. Its sad, but Ive seen and personally been there. As for the association with "ghetto" and "black" thats why my post I also specifically pointed out Detroit as the example. If this thread was about poor polish folks I would have brought up Hamtramck right next door to Detroit was/is the "polish ghetto".

But to get back on topic. Select the races that you are, I was under the impression that you could chose more than one because you ARE more than one. But then just be prepared to answer questions if asked. Just because you don't self identify as AA/Black doesnt mean that ethnically/racially you are not. It just means possibly culturally you don't have ties (what ever "black culture" is identified as.) Its not like you are Egyptian trying to use the AA or African spin. You are "white" and "black". But thats just my opinion. I used the word ghetto to describe the state of economic affairs in relation to race, not in place of.

Yes I understand there is no suck thing as being more "black" than someone, but the sickingly honest truth is that there are many people who have this incredibly insensitive idea that growing up here and doing this or having it hard, etc etc, makes them more "black" than an associate AA that or POC that did not grow up similarily. Its sad, but Ive seen and personally been there. As for the association with "ghetto" and "black" thats why my post I also specifically pointed out Detroit as the example as a "ghetto" in association with "black" (although Hamtramck right next door was/is the "polish ghetto").
Fair enough. My apologies if I came off as condescending or insulting. The saddest part is that many of the people who would say 'oh you're not black enough' or something along those lines are black people themselves. I've personally seen an instance where a young black kid was told that he wasn't really "black" because he was more interested in academic than sports.

Sorry to get so off-topic. I believe the one sixteenth, or one drop, rule still applies socially, so I would go ahead and check African-American, especially since you appear to embrace the African-American side of your family.

Fair enough. My apologies if I came off as condescending or insulting. The saddest part is that many of the people who would say 'oh you're not black enough' or something along those lines are black people themselves. I've personally seen an instance where a young black kid was told that he wasn't really "black" because he was more interested in academic than sports.

Sorry to get so off-topic. I believe the one sixteenth, or one drop, rule still applies socially, so I would go ahead and check African-American, especially since you appear to embrace the African-American side of your family.

Yes. I was never "black" enough because I got good grades, chose soccer over track and band over basketball. Spoke "white" etc etc. so although the actual words not black enough, where never truly spoken, the impression the statements left were quite clear. And even as an adult, it's sucks. Now I'm raising a light skinned biracial daughter whom may be in OPs position on day, because by identifying one way or another is almost like ignoring the other.

And you were certainly not insulting :) have you read some post on SDN? You passionately stated your feelings and position, nothing but respect!

Yes. I was never "black" enough because I got good grades, chose soccer over track and band over basketball. Spoke "white" etc etc. so although the actual words not black enough, where never truly spoken, the impression the statements left were quite clear. And even as an adult, it's sucks. Now I'm raising a light skinned biracial daughter whom may be in OPs position on day, because by identifying one way or another is almost like ignoring the other.

And you were certainly not insulting :) have you read some post on SDN? You passionately stated your feelings and position, nothing but respect!
All my life I've been told I talk white and it has annoyed me to no end. Being an African-American male with an education automatically makes me white-washed or lame in some people's eyes, even though I think becoming a doctor is one of the most awesome things a person can do.

SDN can be quite a handful at time; I just try to remain as true to myself as possible even if my true identity is hidden behind the picture of a comic book character.

All my life I've been told I talk white and it has annoyed me to no end. Being an African-American male with an education automatically makes me white-washed or lame in some people's eyes, even though I think becoming a doctor is one of the most awesome things a person can do.

I've never understood why people would purposefully equate education with "acting white". Why would you want to equate a group you belong with with lack of education?

This isn't a comment on you at all; I've encountered the same attitude (there were kids in my HS who felt they had to publicly refuse to learn, and only turned their hw in privately after class). I'm just expressing my incredulity at this attitude in general.

I've never understood why people would purposefully equate education with "acting white". Why would you want to equate a group you belong with with lack of education?

This isn't a comment on you at all; I've encountered the same attitude (there were kids in my HS who felt they had to publicly refuse to learn, and only turned their hw in privately after class). I'm just expressing my incredulity at this attitude in general.

Ummm... maybe because historically black people were barred from education? It actually was a crime to teach a black person to read or write. My heart broke when I read a book where a black child was told that he had no reason to know what his birthday was because it would make him aspire to higher than his station, basically knowing his birthday humanizes him and make him want to be better than a slave since he sees himself as human.

I don't have a concrete answer, but if I was to take a guess it would be because of the history between blacks and whites in America. Black people were considered inferior, dumb beings while whites were the smart men who were better than blacks. I remember in grade school when the teacher would call on students to read aloud in whatever novel or reading was assigned and I would absolutely hate to be called on simply because it made me sad to see the expression on the faces of the students and the teacher when they realized that I could read so well. It's as if I was expected to be dumb just because I am black. If a black person breaks that stereotype by valuing an education, they're trying to be "white". It is sad and unfair to people of all races.

Freesia, I understand the historical context, and that blacks were considered uneducated or unintelligent. What I was referring to, however, was not the outsider expressing shock at intelligent African Americans, but rather people who purposefully remain uneducated/mock peers who try to educate themselves, because they see it as 'acting white'. I think it's a shame that some people actively try to cling to uneducatedness as a part of their cultural heritage.

Sorry, wasn't trying to get in any sort of debate or in any way minimize the unfairness. There have been a lot of barriers to black education in the past; I was only expressing regret that one of them seems to be the internalization of "education is for white people, why aren't you happy being black?" Ugh, I suck at expressing myself clearly on forums. I hope I haven't offended anyone by accident.

i wish i was a URM :\

Seriously?

You wish you were automatically classified as dumb, likely an illegal immigrant, genetically inferior, inherently devious and up to no good, lazy and just plain not worth the effort invested into you?

You wish to have had ancestors who were enslaved, raped, killed, beaten, worked to death, mass killed and their land and heritage destroyed, denied education, denied jobs, denied access to healthcare, denied the right o be human

You wish to inherit the wide array of racial slurs ascribed to minorities, you want your children to carry this burden....

...all because you think it will help you get into medical school?

Freesia, I understand the historical context, and that blacks were considered uneducated or unintelligent. What I was referring to, however, was not the outsider expressing shock at intelligent African Americans, but rather people who purposefully remain uneducated/mock peers who try to educate themselves, because they see it as 'acting white'. I think it's a shame that some people actively try to cling to uneducatedness as a part of their cultural heritage.

Sorry, wasn't trying to get in any sort of debate or in any way minimize the unfairness. There have been a lot of barriers to black education in the past; I was only expressing regret that one of them seems to be the internalization of "education is for white people, why aren't you happy being black?" Ugh, I suck at expressing myself clearly on forums. I hope I haven't offended anyone by accident.

Not at all. I am not offended. I am more saddened and just plain exhausted by this whole URM issue.

As a black person it frustrates me too that some people would chose not to be educated. But think about it. These actions towards blacks and other minorities went on for centuries and still goes on. If some thing, some way of dress, some virtue or vice, some manner of speech or comportment, some food type or drink - just about any darn thing was what your enemy used to define himself wouldn't you want to distance yourself as much as possible from that thing and by virtue your enemy? It is a vicious cycle for sure but the human psyche will cope with trauma the best that it can by developing whatever coping mechanisms to help it survive. These coping mechanisms are then transmitted from generation to generation and will persist for as long as racial discrimination exists. When you think that overt racial segregation and discrimination ended in the US just 50 years ago, that is just not enough time for attitudes to change.

I suppose I would tend to see it as "they want to keep that all to themselves? F that, I'm gettin' me some. I'm going to have more of it than they do!" But I've always had a very strong tendency to want to prove people wrong (which isn't always idea, I recognize). In fact, any time I've overcome an obstacle in my life, it has been because somebody made it worse and ticked me off rather than that they helped me!

So while I didn't see it that way at all on my own, I can totally see it now that you've pointed it out! Thanks for that! Still a shame, though.

I suppose I would tend to see it as "they want to keep that all to themselves? F that, I'm gettin' me some. I'm going to have more of it than they do!" But I've always had a very strong tendency to want to prove people wrong (which isn't always idea, I recognize). In fact, any time I've overcome an obstacle in my life, it has been because somebody made it worse and ticked me off rather than that they helped me!

So while I didn't see it that way at all on my own, I can totally see it now that you've pointed it out! Thanks for that! Still a shame, though.

I'm sure some people thought like that. Likely they were beaten into submission or even killed. Also they simply were just not allowed access to books or schools, remember it was a punishable crime for even white people to teach minorities how to read. About 3 week ago there was a story on NPR about a man in Missouri who found a draft of a letter his mother had written to the state university begging them to let her go to school and be a teacher for kids in her poor community. The application was rejected because it was university policy not to accept colored applicants. This woman is still alive and remembers writing that letter.

If you want to read more about this stuff I am positive there are books out there. I think one of the biggest issues in the US is that younger people are not taught enough about the realities of their history. It is easy to look at a native American living on a reservation barely making it through high school and having an alcohol problem and snort in disdain, but when you remember what injustice really was done to those people, it gives you a little bit more perspective. You learn that "Build A Bridge And Get Over It" does not in any way, shape or form apply in these cases.

Seriously?

You wish you were automatically classified as dumb, likely an illegal immigrant, genetically inferior, inherently devious and up to no good, lazy and just plain not worth the effort invested into you?

You wish to have had ancestors who were enslaved, raped, killed, beaten, worked to death, mass killed and their land and heritage destroyed, denied education, denied jobs, denied access to healthcare, denied the right o be human

You wish to inherit the wide array of racial slurs ascribed to minorities, you want your children to carry this burden....

...for purposes of applying to medical school. u think that's what everyone automatically associates with being a URM? I don't think there should be any negative stigma attached to being a URM. what's so about bad being a part of medical schools efforts to combat social injustice? and wanting to keep up with a country that's becoming more diverse? someone needs to chillllll

Last edited:
...for purposes of applying to medical school. someone needs to chillllll

So you are telling all the Hispanics, Blacks, Native Americans and other minorities in this forum, that the **** they have to deal with in society because of their ethnicity is justified because it might help them get into medical school?

How enlightened and admirable of you. At best that was a comment steeped in ignorance. At worst that was a joke in very bad taste.

And if you think people do not associate the above with URM's, you need to read more URM threads on this forum and take your head out of the sand in your daily life. There are laws giving the police the right to stop people and ask for their legal papers because the "look like illegal immigrants."

Last edited:
So you are telling all the Hispanics, Blacks, Native Americans and other minorities in this forum, that the **** they have to deal with in society because of their ethnicity is justified because it might help them get into medical school?

How enlightened and admirable of you. At most that was a comment steeped in ignorance. At worst that was a joke in very bad taste.

And if you think people do not associate the above with URM's, you need to read more URM threads on this forum and take your head out of the sand in your daily life. There are laws giving the police the right to stop people and ask for their legal papers because the "look like illegal immigrants."

where did i say that?

i wish i was a URM :\

...for purposes of applying to medical school. u think that's what everyone automatically associates with being a URM? I don't think there should be any negative stigma attached to being a URM. what's so about bad being a part of medical schools efforts to combat social injustice? and wanting to keep up with a country that's becoming more diverse? someone needs to chillllll

You think we are proud of that label? URM? Proud of the fact that it is believed that we need a hand up? Proud of the fact that through no fault of ours we have all of this to deal with?

fact is there is a negative stigma attached to being a URM because it is generally assumed that you likely got in because of that not because your application was up to par. Take some time, search for URM and read the threads. Then come and lets talk some more.

You think we are proud of that label? URM? Proud of the fact that it is believed that we need a hand up? Proud of the fact that through no fault of ours we have all of this to deal with?

i don't think most people believe URMs are in of need a "hand up". i think most people understand it's not a matter of URMs being incapable rather them not having as many opportunities as non-URMs

i don't think most people believe URMs are in of need a "hand up". i think most people understand it's not a matter of URMs being incapable rather them not having as many opportunities as non-URMs

I think you think wrong. :) But I am not going to argue further with you over what you chose to think. You are after all entitled to your opinion. A good night to you!

Seriously?

And the sad thing is that, i have not experienced this kind of racism in my lifetime. I know most African Americans do, but I haven't. The part where guilt comes in is when I realize that this is the whole point of URM and disadvantaged statuses. This makes you grow up to be more mature, understanding of patients' backgrounds and the things they deal with, stronger in character etc.

I also have a side question: Does being Black, Hispanic and Native American mean that people will think you are dumber than them in medical school because you have the potential of getting accepted with lower stats than them?

Last edited:
And the sad thing is that, i have not experienced this kind of racism in my lifetime. I know most African Americans do, but I haven't. The part where guilt comes in is when I realize that this is the whole point of URM and disadvantaged statuses. This makes you grow up to be more mature, understanding of patients' backgrounds and the things they deal with, stronger in character etc.

I also have a side question: Does being Black, Hispanic and Native American mean that people will think you are dumber than them in medical school because you have the potential of getting accepted with lower stats than them?

Of course. Look at the sentiment of the majority of non-urms in URM threads. Those are going to be your classmates lol

I think you think wrong. :) But I am not going to argue further with you over what you chose to think. You are after all entitled to your opinion. A good night to you!

Ur trolling hard...u remind me of Skip Bayless hahahahahaha

Of course. Look at the sentiment of the majority of non-urms in URM threads. Those are going to be your classmates lol

:( , will residencies keep that in mind when they are deciding who is more qualified? :confused:

I know it has to do with medical school performance, but don't you think residency programs would prefer people who didn't get the URM advantage? It seems to make sense to me.

Last edited:
:( , will residencies keep that in mind when they are deciding who is more qualified? :confused:

I know it has to do with medical school performance, but don't you think residency programs would prefer people who didn't get the URM advantage? It seems to make sense to me.

I think when it comes to residency, URM goes out the window. From what others have said here, who've been through the process, your Step I scores and how much the current residents like you are going to hold a lot more weight than the color of your skin. As long as you have a good personality and adequate step score for your specialty, don't worry about race being a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.