To use GI Bill or to wait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rogersja

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some solid advice. Currently I am separated and have my GI Bill available however I have hardly any school done. I wasted my years in the Air Force instead of doing my schooling. I've wanted to be an Optometrist since I was sixteen years old. However with me not having my bachelors and still needing to complete 4 years of Optometry school i was wondering if it would be smart for me to save it for Optometry school, and work full time while completing my bachelors or quit my job and take on more courses and get the GI money now and worry about the debt of Optometry school later. Bit more information about myself:

1. I live in Los Angeles (Expensive!)
2. I have a really good job that allows me to work full time and do school full time (Barely!!)
3. I have no family where i am at nor any social life so work/school life balance I don't really care about.

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait and use it for graduate school. Try to find a school that may have lower tuition for veterans for undergrad and use community colleges. One thing of note (and this may not be accurate for all, I know it is for the school I was accepted at) is that the program is 12 months long. Which effectively means that the GI bill will cover 3 years (since the benefits are 36 months) and you'll have to figure out the last year. But having 3 years covered puts you in a super good position. And now that the GI bill doesn't expire you don't have to worry about it running out while doing your undergrad schooling.

Edit: what I mean by 12 months long is that the school in the eyes of the GI Bill goes 12 months out of the year. The reason that 36 months of benefits can get you a 4 year undergrad is that the undergrad programs are 9 months out of the year. So on an undergrad program you'll have 3 months out of the year where you won't be receiving benefits, whereas you'll receive benefits all year in a 12 month out of the year program. This is at least the experience that I had. Also this was for medical school. Optometry may be different.

I would wait and use it for graduate school. Try to find a school that may have lower tuition for veterans for undergrad and use community colleges. One thing of note (and this may not be accurate for all, I know it is for the school I was accepted at) is that the program is 12 months long. Which effectively means that the GI bill will cover 3 years (since the benefits are 36 months) and you'll have to figure out the last year. But having 3 years covered puts you in a super good position. And now that the GI bill doesn't expire you don't have to worry about it running out while doing your undergrad schooling.

Edit: what I mean by 12 months long is that the school in the eyes of the GI Bill goes 12 months out of the year. The reason that 36 months of benefits can get you a 4 year undergrad is that the undergrad programs are 9 months out of the year. So on an undergrad program you'll have 3 months out of the year where you won't be receiving benefits, whereas you'll receive benefits all year in a 12 month out of the year program. This is at least the experience that I had. Also this was for medical school. Optometry may be different.
Thanks ! I was thinking along the same lines, however I think that one would still be able to get an additional 9 months of GI Bill if he/she were to switch over to the Vocational Rehab after exhausting the GI Bill.
-Also there is still the potential option of applying the STEM Program to Medical/Optometry school. While I haven't heard from anyone doing this personally, there is a bit of a grey area as to whether the STEM Extension on the GI Bill can be used for Medical/Optometry school. Any one with solid information on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ! I was thinking along the same lines, however I think that one would still be able to get an additional 9 months of GI Bill if he/she were to switch over to the Vocational Rehab after exhausting the GI Bill.
-Also there is still the potential option of applying the STEM Program to Medical/Optometry school. While I haven't heard from anyone doing this personally, there is a bit of a grey area as to whether the STEM Extension on the GI Bill can be used for Medical/Optometry school. Any one with solid information on this?

I don't even know what this STEM program is. If I was you, I'd just call up the VA. They've gotten a ton better over the years in terms of answering all these questions.

Another option for your undergrad (not sure if it is feasible), but you could always join back into the Reserves and then use tuition assistance. There's quite a number of schools that will drop their tuition rate to allow TA to cover ($250 a credit hour) the bill. I used tuition assistance to pay for my undergraduate degree and a few select classes I needed I paid in cash at a community college. Then you can use the GI Bill for graduate school.

I don't even know what this STEM program is. If I was you, I'd just call up the VA. They've gotten a ton better over the years in terms of answering all these questions.

Another option for your undergrad (not sure if it is feasible), but you could always join back into the Reserves and then use tuition assistance. There's quite a number of schools that will drop their tuition rate to allow TA to cover ($250 a credit hour) the bill. I used tuition assistance to pay for my undergraduate degree and a few select classes I needed I paid in cash at a community college. Then you can use the GI Bill for graduate school.
Lol . Joining back was never an option I separated for a reason and don't regret it. And I have called up to the VA several times and have not gotten a response yet.

FYI: STEM is (Science, technology, Engineering and Math) there is a program, for veterans who have exhausted their GI bill and are setting their goals on a STEM Degree, for them to receive an additional 9 months of GI Bill assistance. There have been questions all over the veteran community as to whether this applies to Med school as well but no answers as far as I am aware. I'll leave a link below for you to get more information.

https://militarybenefits.info/gi-bill-stem-extension/

Lol . Joining back was never an option I separated for a reason and don't regret it. And I have called up to the VA several times and have not gotten a response yet.

FYI: STEM is (Science, technology, Engineering and Math) there is a program, for veterans who have exhausted their GI bill and are setting their goals on a STEM Degree, for them to receive an additional 9 months of GI Bill assistance. There have been questions all over the veteran community as to whether this applies to Med school as well but no answers as far as I am aware. I'll leave a link below for you to get more information.

https://militarybenefits.info/gi-bill-stem-extension/

Have you called the GI Bill benefits people specifically? I've contacted them a few times and had a person on the phone in minutes.

This is the number for the GI Bill specifically: 1-888-442-4551

I would give that a try.

Have you called the GI Bill benefits people specifically? I've contacted them a few times and had a person on the phone in minutes.

This is the number for the GI Bill specifically: 1-888-442-4551

I would give that a try.

Thanks bud!

It would depend on a few factors.

1) What is the cost of the undergrad institutions you'd like to attend?
2) What is the cost of optometry schools you'd like to attend (or at least the average)?
3) Do/will you qualify for Ch 31 Voc rehab?

The issue with STEM in your case is that it is meant for undergrad programs that require a minimum of 128 credits. Most bachelors degrees are 120, and it doesn't count by just opting to take an extra 8 credits - it must be required. It also doesn't cover graduate/professional school, so it's not like you can get the extra year to cover year of of optometry school.

With that said, my undergrad was actually more expensive than my medical school because I ended up going to a private uni for undergrad and a state med school, so in my case GI Bill for undergrad would be more beneficial 2-fold (one in cost, and the other is in delaying taking out loans and thus not accruing interest for 8 years before I even became a resident to be able to pay them off).

As for bullet 3, if you qualify for Voc Rehab, that has the potential to be a game-changer, but it is often specific to the counselor assigned. For voc rehab, do you have a VA disability rating?

If not, then reference bullets 1-2 again.

It does not cover medical school. It specifically states that it is for standard, undergraduate degrees. See the following link.

Direct quote:
"
✔ You are pursuing a degree in a STEM field
✔ You have completed at least 60 standard or 90
quarter credit hours toward your degree;
✔ You have or will soon (within 180 days of
application) exhaust your entitlement for the
Post-9/11 GI Bill program;
Your post-secondary degree requires more than 128
semester (or 192 quarter) credit for completion in a
standard, undergraduate college degree

"

Thank you for all of the clarification!

1) What is the cost of the undergrad institutions you'd like to attend?
Currently I am attending a community college and plan on paying out of pocket for all of my undergrad schooling. I will transfer to UCLA and continue to pay out of pocket for the rest of my schooling. After transferring to UCLA I would only have a year left of schooling.

2) What is the cost of optometry schools you'd like to attend (or at least the average)?
I would love to stay in California and possibly attend Berkeley( I know this is a far reach but this is just my primary choice there are other schools I am looking at)

It does not cover medical school. It specifically states that it is for standard, undergraduate degrees.
This program has been modified and is STILL currently being worked on. The medical field has not been excluded from this bill. See the following link

Direct Quote:

VA will provide up to nine months of additional Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to certain eligible individuals who:
  • have or will soon exhaust entitlement of Post-9/11 GI Bill program.
  • apply for assistance, and
  • are enrolled in a program of education leading to a post-secondary degree that, in accordance with the guidelines of the applicable regional or national accrediting agency, requires more than the standard 128 semester (or 192 quarter) credit hours for completion in a standard, undergraduate college degree in biological or biomedical science; physical science; science technologies or technicians; computer and information science and support services; mathematics or statistics; engineering; engineering technologies or an engineering-related field; a health profession or related program; a medical residency program; an agriculture science program or natural resources science program; or other subjects and fields identified by VA as meeting national needs.
  • has completed at least 60 standard semester (or 90 quarter) credit hours in a field listed above, or has earned a post-secondary degree in one of these fields and is enrolled in a program of education leading to a teaching certification.
I talked to a Veterans Counselor at Berkeley today and he confirmed that there has been talk on including Medical schools on the STEM program

Also I am service connected and have looked into CH. 31

Thanks Man

Reactions: 1 user
@rogersja I'd keep your out on the STEM info then as it changes. The only kicker is that it looks by some information that you must be within 1 year or so of exhausting the standard 36 months, so a little work on the timing of starting your GI Bill (i.e. beginning with your Sr year of college) that will allow for use of the STEM extension going into your final year of optometry school.

If you have any questions about ch 31, let us know - there are numerous of us on there in a variety of programs who use voc rehab, and there are a few posts dedicated to ch 31 in this vet section of the forum.

@rogersja I'd keep your out on the STEM info then as it changes. The only kicker is that it looks by some information that you must be within 1 year or so of exhausting the standard 36 months, so a little work on the timing of starting your GI Bill (i.e. beginning with your Sr year of college) that will allow for use of the STEM extension going into your final year of optometry school.

If you have any questions about ch 31, let us know - there are numerous of us on there in a variety of programs who use voc rehab, and there are a few posts dedicated to ch 31 in this vet section of the forum.
Thanks so much man I appreciate everything! I'm gonna go post surfing in the Veterans CH. 31 section now! lol

As of right now, I agree that this will go down as to what will be a higher out of pocket expense (undergrad or optometry school).

With the way the STEM program is written "now" for August 1st implementation, you would not be able to use it for professional schooling beyond your undergraduate studies. I would wait on your GI Bill for optometry unless you know you can get coverage through Voc-Rehab that will roll-over with you into optometry school (or else it'd just take away month after month of your GI Bill). Invest in the Chapter 31 information and apply on E-benefits to get with a counselor just to see your chances. If none, wait until you do professional schooling so the benefits can really work hard in your favor.

As of right now, I agree that this will go down as to what will be a higher out of pocket expense (undergrad or optometry school).

With the way the STEM program is written "now" for August 1st implementation, you would not be able to use it for professional schooling beyond your undergraduate studies. I would wait on your GI Bill for optometry unless you know you can get coverage through Voc-Rehab that will roll-over with you into optometry school (or else it'd just take away month after month of your GI Bill). Invest in the Chapter 31 information and apply on E-benefits to get with a counselor just to see your chances. If none, wait until you do professional schooling so the benefits can really work hard in your favor.
Yeah I'm still on the iffy side of Optometry the more research I do the more I've grown to second guess my choices. Starting to think Med school would be the better decision as it leaves me room to grow and learn more and not stay in a stagnant position. (To not hijack my own thread I'll ask this question) In what ways would me going to Med School instead affect my GI Bill usage?

Yeah I'm still on the iffy side of Optometry the more research I do the more I've grown to second guess my choices. Starting to think Med school would be the better decision as it leaves me room to grow and learn more and not stay in a stagnant position. (To not hijack my own thread I'll ask this question) In what ways would me going to Med School instead affect my GI Bill usage?

Leaving out the potential for Ch 31, it's virtually the same answer. The goal would be to use it for whatever is most expensive. If similar cost, it would probably be better to use it for undergrad because then you delay potential loans, and thus don't accrue interest on what you don't take out. Taking out loans to save the GI Bill will cause interest to accrue throughout undergrad and medical school (the same as with optometry school).