to wait or not to wait...honest opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frikarika

RADIOHEAD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: Ok, so since MCAT scores came out I have been plagued with indecision. With a 26, I don’t think my chances are very good at getting into my state school. I mean, I have a 3.75 GPA, good LORS, decent EC's, tons of research, and I'm a UMR (if that matters). I know I have to take the MCAT again, but I don’t think I have time to improve my scores significantly by august. I am currently working 40hrs a week at a research lab and so far it has been really hard to study everyday. I think I want to wait and take the MCAT until next year sometime in 07 after I graduate. The only thing that worries me is the fact that it will be computerized. Do you’ all think the computer format will be that big of a difference? I am also worried about what med schools think about students who take a year off. Do you'all think I will be at a disadvantage taking the MCAT as a senior and applying while I’m out of school? Maybe this is a stupid question, I’m just sorta worried about putting off my plans for another year. But I think it would be best, because I know I can improve my MCAT scores significantly, I just need time. Can anyone who has taken a year off before entering Med school give advice? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

frikarika said:
:confused: Ok, so since MCAT scores came out I have been plagued with indecision. With a 26, I don’t think my chances are very good at getting into my state school. I mean, I have a 3.75 GPA, good LORS, decent EC's, tons of research, and I'm a UMR (if that matters). I know I have to take the MCAT again, but I don’t think I have time to improve my scores significantly by august. I am currently working 40hrs a week at a research lab and so far it has been really hard to study everyday. I think I want to wait and take the MCAT until next year sometime in 07 after I graduate. The only thing that worries me is the fact that it will be computerized. Do you’ all think the computer format will be that big of a difference? I am also worried about what med schools think about students who take a year off. Do you'all think I will be at a disadvantage taking the MCAT as a senior and applying while I’m out of school? Maybe this is a stupid question, I’m just sorta worried about putting off my plans for another year. But I think it would be best, because I know I can improve my MCAT scores significantly, I just need time. Can anyone who has taken a year off before entering Med school give advice? thanks

taking a year off looks a whole lot better than getting another lackluster score on the MCAT. Nontrads often come back to the application process after having taken decades off, with no problem. There's a reason the average age of med school matriculants is 24+.
I wouldn't sweat the computerization issues -- you are going to have to take the USMLE on one a few years down the road, so may as well break the ice now.

seems to me, many folks take a year off. initially i was also thinking it would be horrible if i didnt get in this cycle due to my crappy gpa. but im looking forward to taking some post bacc classes if the need be and applying again next year. it might even be nice to be out of school and give this process 100% attention.