Apr 18, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I figured I should make this an official question because I've asked around a couple of times and I've gotten mixed answers. Essentially I'm taking two summer courses (Intro to Listening:laugh: and a 2 credit Ecology lab which would count towards BCPM). Both of these are very, very easy A's.

If I don't wait to send my transcripts my current GPA is a 3.63 cumulative and a 3.66 BCPM. My Junior year was very strong, mostly A's in all upper level science courses.

If I do wait, which will end up with my transcripts being sent to AMCAS around July 15th I raise it to a 3.65 cumulative and a 3.68 BCPM.

My letters are almost complete. I have 3/4 but I still have to schedule the interview with my Pre-Health committee for my 5th letter. They also want my AMCAS done before my interview date.

A couple of things that makes it sound less stupid to wait:

1. My MCAT is June 21st, so my scores won't be getting back until July 21st-25th. Meaning I wouldn't be getting any secondaries anyways.
  2. I have only a rough outline of my PS done as of now, and all my activities aren't entered how I want them. I'm also studying for the MCAT now so the application is kind of on the back seat.
  3. One of the biggest gaps for acceptance is between a 3.59 and a 3.69. The closer to 3.69, the chances improve pretty dramatically with the same MCAT.

So, what does everyone think?

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A 0.02 increase won't change anything. You are correct in that most schools will not send you secondaries until the end of July because that is when your MCAT score comes in, but if you wait until then to submit your AMCAS, you will be waiting ANOTHER 4-6 weeks for your AMCAS to be verified (so you will be complete at the end of August). If you submit your AMCAS in early-mid June, you will be verified and complete when your MCAT score comes in. If I were you, I would submit with the current grades.

OP
MDschoolorbust
Apr 18, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess a .02 bump is nothing in the scheme of things and I'm on or close to the average for matriculants at the schools (about 15) I'm applying.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess a .02 bump is nothing in the scheme of things and I'm on or close to the average for matriculants at the schools (about 15) I'm applying.
Keep in mind that the median is just that - half of the students that were accepted had a GPA less than that. Worry more about the big picture rather than small little details like this (easier said than done as an applicant, I know, but it's the truth).