Status
Not open for further replies.

chilon85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a quick question regarding the letters of recommendation. One of my professor's emailed me recently and wanted to know if the LOR's should be vague regarding who they are addressed to; i.e. "Office of Admissions," and "Dear Selection Committee," or if they should be addressed to specific people (which she said she would do if needed).

However, I am not really sure what to do because I don't know anyone specific in the medical schools that I am applying to. Also, would it really be a huge deal if the letters were addressed "to whom it may concern?" What do you think? Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

CuttinEmUp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
probably a nice "Dear Admission Committee at ___________ School",

followed by a really strong letter of recommendation, with the recommender's name and title (credentials or whatever) would be ideal.

OP
C

chilon85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for your replies. I guess my professor was just wondering if it would be better to actually address it to a specific person.

gerido

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Status
chilon85 said:
Thanks for your replies. I guess my professor was just wondering if it would be better to actually address it to a specific person.
Mine wrote "To The Admission Committee:" Easy and good enough.

Jack Daniel

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2005
Status
To me, "To whom it may concern:" seems fine, but very dated. Whatever you choose, don't address your letter with the even more dated "Dear Sirs:" or "Gentlemen:". That will definitely get a few frowns from half the committee.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
chilon85 said:
That's fine if you're only applying to one med school, but what happens if you ask your LOR writers to print out ten different letters a piece?

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
duplicate thread, so closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.