To Whom it May Offend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImNotBritish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating senior here. I've read all over that cover letters/CVs should be sent to the department chairs directly by name. One website went so far as to say "No one likes getting an email addressed 'To Whom it May Concern.' "

I want to apply for a job posting that says "send CV to [email protected]." Should I really call just to ask what name to put in the greeting of my cover letter? Is anyone really that let down that their name isn't in the email?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Graduating senior here. I've read all over that cover letters/CVs should be sent to the department chairs directly by name. One website went so far as to say "No one likes getting an email addressed 'To Whom it May Concern.' "

I want to apply for a job posting that says "send CV to [email protected]." Should I really call just to ask what name to put in the greeting of my cover letter? Is anyone really that let down that their name isn't in the email?

Thanks!

You could address it to the department/group.

Thanks!

I have had this same question. Some of them I know the name of the physician in charge of recruitment. Other ones I'm sending it in to the group's business manager....wasn't sure who to address those ones to or if I should ask for a name. In those cases I just went with "Dear Staff of Group Name...."

If there's a job posting that says "send a CV to XXXXX" then you could address it as "Hey dickwads" and they likely would still interview you. It's a buyer's market if they're advertising.

Reactions: 4 users