To Withdraw or Not to Withdraw that is the question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captainbsm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over an entire academic career which spans over 8 years(BA and Masters) I have only withdrawn from 3 classes total. This semester I am taking Physics and it is really taking me through the ringer. My question is should I consider withdrawing from the class and try to take it again or should I try to tough it out and try to overcome the deficit with perservance?

Members don't see this ad.

captainbsm said:
Over an entire academic career which spans over 8 years(BA and Masters) I have only withdrawn from 3 classes total. This semester I am taking Physics and it is really taking me through the ringer. My question is should I consider withdrawing from the class and try to take it again or should I try to tough it out and try to overcome the deficit with perservance?

If you stick it out and get a bad grade, that will be part of your science GPA on AMCAS regardless of whether you re-take it later. If you withdraw and re-take it down the road, people might ask about the W when you are applying to school. I personally would rather explain a W than get a really bad grade..... so it really boils down to what grade you think you would walk away with, IMO. :)

yeah I felt the same way so I dropped it immediately to focus more on Gen Chem

star22 said:
If you stick it out and get a bad grade, that will be part of your science GPA on AMCAS regardless of whether you re-take it later. If you withdraw and re-take it down the road, people might ask about the W when you are applying to school. I personally would rather explain a W than get a really bad grade..... so it really boils down to what grade you think you would walk away with, IMO. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
after a BA and a masters Physics is giving you trouble? I'm sorry to hear that... I hope for your previous institutions sake, the courses you took were non-science, and math. Good luck with the retake.

Is it Mechanics or Electricity and Magnetism?