carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm currently taking an upperdivision Biology elective for my major and the course is nothing like what the description said; it was supposed to be on parasitic diseases as they relate to humans but its actually just on the ECOLOGY of the diseases themselves. To top it off, the course is also incredably hard because the professor is pushing 75, spells all of the scientific names wrong, and CANNOT stay on one topic for more than 5 minutes.

(In a nutshell, picture being taught by your grandfather: "..I walked up hill both ways to get my samples...") :sleep:

Anyway...

I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to get any higher than a B+ in the course and I wanted to keep my trend of straight As going. I would withdrawl immediatly if not for the fact that I have 1/2 of my credits from a junior college and already have had a semester where I needed to work and withdrew from TWO classes. I have a meger 3.6 cum and no MCAT as of yet.

So SDN, do I take a B or a W???

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
I would take a B. the W is something that's used if you're gonna get a C- or a D. but a B isn't bad. especially because it's only one course. also, the course your taking sounds really interesting. I know it might be boring and all, but when they see that course and the attention goes to it because you have a B, they'll see that it's a unique course. I would definately go through with it! g'luck

redbeans

PGY-fo'
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not to be an uber grammarian, but the infinitive is "to withdraw" while "withdrawal" is a noun

Also, I would take the B. I've had plenty of B's. Big deal. And maybe you'll surprise yourself in the end if you've worked really hard.

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Boston
Status
Definitely definitely take the B.
A B is not bad at all even if you have mostly all As. Save the Ws for courses where if you stayed in the class you would have gotten a C, D or F.
A B is a B is a B. A W leaves people wondering, or perhaps even concluding, C, D or F.
I withdrew from a history class because I was bored out of my mind. The professor looked like he was about ready to drop dead at any moment and instead of teaching us HISTORY read to us from Field and Stream. (I'm not kidding). Now I regret it because I have a W. It would have been easy to get an A or a B but I just couldn't stand showing up and listening to the senile fool.
Suck it up and just finish up the class. Ws look bad, much worse than Bs.

Love your comments about SUNY Albany, especially doing shots from the tubie thingies. :) I'm originally from Albany. PM me if you ever feel like talkin' Albany. I do miss the place sometimes. :)

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Status
carn311 said:
I'm currently taking an upperdivision Biology elective for my major and the course is nothing like what the description said; it was supposed to be on parasitic diseases as they relate to humans but its actually just on the ECOLOGY of the diseases themselves. To top it off, the course is also incredably hard because the professor is pushing 75, spells all of the scientific names wrong, and CANNOT stay on one topic for more than 5 minutes.

(In a nutshell, picture being taught by your grandfather: "..I walked up hill both ways to get my samples...") :sleep:

Anyway...

I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to get any higher than a B+ in the course and I wanted to keep my trend of straight As going. I would withdrawl immediatly if not for the fact that I have 1/2 of my credits from a junior college and already have had a semester where I needed to work and withdrew from TWO classes. I have a meger 3.6 cum and no MCAT as of yet.

So SDN, do I take a B or a W???

Definitely take the B. Adcoms tend to look at W's as a way to get out of a class that you were going to fail, and thus view the W as a C or even a D. I had to take a W for Ochem 2, and it was the biggest cause of concern on my application (even more so than a C in Ochem 1). There is nothing wrong with a sprinkling of B's in an already stellar academic record, just keep up those EC's and you'll do fine.