to write no hepatosplenomegaly in PN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gary

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is visual inspection sufficient? Or do we have to percuss at the midaxillary line and Traubbe triangle....

Members don't see this ad.

Is visual inspection sufficient? Or do we have to percuss at the midaxillary line and Traubbe triangle....

There just isn't enough time to go into that much depth. Just write " no hepatosplenomegaly present".

so visual inspection is ok right? Thanks for replying...

pretend to percuss during the exam. do it quickly and move on and then write it in your note!

Members don't see this ad :)
so visual inspection is ok right? Thanks for replying...

I personally could not write this in any progress note without palpating. I do not believe I've ever had a pt with Hepatomegally which I could visually see. So if you wish to notate this, palpate and write "no gross organomegally palpated: While hepatomegally can be present and not palpable, by inserting the clarifier "palpated" you somewhat absolve yourself if there is organomegally there that you need to percuss to find.

This advice stands only for PE/CS cases which you have no reason to suspect hepatobiliary pathology and they do not give you sufficient time to perform a full exam.