1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

to you ortho folks out there

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by hapkidochic, Mar 16, 2004.

1. hapkidochic

hapkidochic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'll be starting medical school in the fall. I'm interested in ortho. I've spent some time shadowing an orthopod. It's a great field. I realize that my interest may change during school, but for now, let's stick with otho. I'm trying to decide between Pitt and UC Davis. I really loved both of them. For those of you that have applied to residency programs, how important is one's med school in securing such a competitive residency spot? Does the reputation of the school hold as much weight as board scores, evaluations etc.? I know that Pitt has the better ortho/sports med program. But i'm also pretty sure that i want to come back to california (i'm a CA resident) for residency. For that reason alone, would i be better off at davis? Any help would be hugely appreciated!!! Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ortho2003

ortho2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you want to be in CA for residency, got o Davis. Regionalism is one of the hardest things to overcome in ortho. School does play some bearing, as you could get a letter from FU at Pitt, but DAvis is a solid program and you will be able to generate solid letters out there too. Overall, strong addition rotations and boards scores are the most important in applying though.