to you ortho folks out there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hapkidochic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'll be starting medical school in the fall. I'm interested in ortho. I've spent some time shadowing an orthopod. It's a great field. I realize that my interest may change during school, but for now, let's stick with otho. I'm trying to decide between Pitt and UC Davis. I really loved both of them. For those of you that have applied to residency programs, how important is one's med school in securing such a competitive residency spot? Does the reputation of the school hold as much weight as board scores, evaluations etc.? I know that Pitt has the better ortho/sports med program. But i'm also pretty sure that i want to come back to california (i'm a CA resident) for residency. For that reason alone, would i be better off at davis? Any help would be hugely appreciated!!! Thanks!

ortho2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you want to be in CA for residency, got o Davis. Regionalism is one of the hardest things to overcome in ortho. School does play some bearing, as you could get a letter from FU at Pitt, but DAvis is a solid program and you will be able to generate solid letters out there too. Overall, strong addition rotations and boards scores are the most important in applying though.