• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

hapkidochic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2003
Status
I'll be starting medical school in the fall. I'm interested in ortho. I've spent some time shadowing an orthopod. It's a great field. I realize that my interest may change during school, but for now, let's stick with otho. I'm trying to decide between Pitt and UC Davis. I really loved both of them. For those of you that have applied to residency programs, how important is one's med school in securing such a competitive residency spot? Does the reputation of the school hold as much weight as board scores, evaluations etc.? I know that Pitt has the better ortho/sports med program. But i'm also pretty sure that i want to come back to california (i'm a CA resident) for residency. For that reason alone, would i be better off at davis? Any help would be hugely appreciated!!! Thanks!

ortho2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Status
If you want to be in CA for residency, got o Davis. Regionalism is one of the hardest things to overcome in ortho. School does play some bearing, as you could get a letter from FU at Pitt, but DAvis is a solid program and you will be able to generate solid letters out there too. Overall, strong addition rotations and boards scores are the most important in applying though.

About the Ads