Tobacco use among predent students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you use tobacco?

• No, what kind of question is this? I want to be a dentist!!!

Votes: 51 63.8%
  • No, but I used to.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Yes, I smoke.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Yes, I dip/chew.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Yes, I use a hookah.

Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters

TheSandlapper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I smoke cigars on occasion. What you do on your own time is your business as long as it doesn't affect your work (which I don't see how it would)

Yeah, I have predent friends who smoke.

Just understand the risks and live life. People don't care (unless you are interested in implants).

Members don't see this ad :)
I smoke hookah occasionally (like 3 times a year) and smoke cigars (probably like 3 or 4 a year and I never finish the big ones) during the summer and if I go on vacation.

Last edited:
A few people from my dental school smokes. (Shame shame)

I'd wager that smoking is overall lower in terms of proportion out of all predents compared to the general population. We're more health aware, and additionally smoking decreases in higher educated individuals (regardless of whether that's health related or not - just people with any postsecondary educaiton have lower smoking rates)

I'd wager that smoking is overall lower in terms of proportion out of all predents compared to the general population. We're more health aware, and additionally smoking decreases in higher educated individuals (regardless of whether that's health related or not - just people with any postsecondary educaiton have lower smoking rates)

I certainly expected the rates to be low, lower than the general population for sure. I'm somewhat surprised the percentages are what they are thus far. With input from 45 people thus far just over 15% are former users and a little over 11% are current users, I would have thought it would be even lower. I think this is pretty interesting, anyone reading this thread please contribute to the poll, I would like to see how the percentages pan out as the number of surveyed increase.

Not dental but in pharmacy and have met a handful of students and pharmacists who dip. All of them were athletes

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I forget who said it, but having intimate knowledge of the danger of dip/tobacco/alcohol/drugs doesn't shield you from the allure.

I forget who said it, but having intimate knowledge of the danger of dip/tobacco/alcohol/drugs doesn't shield you from the allure.

Majority start way before they know/believe in the dangers of tobacco use and by the time they're informed it's been long enough to have manifested into an addiction

Majority start way before they know/believe in the dangers of tobacco use and by the time they're informed it's been long enough to have manifested into an addiction

Or they just don't care. People do things that are dangerous everyday it isn't just limited to smoking.

I want to be a dentist . . . So what if I want to smoke my newports after drinking shots . .. . What does that have to do with me drilling?

I want to be a dentist . . . So what if I want to smoke my newports after drinking shots . .. . What does that have to do with me drilling?

I guess it's like a fat nutritionist, if you can't take care of yourself why should I believe you can take care of me as a patient?