Today I took the OAT and got a 350. Here's my recommendation:

Jrakhimov

Reaction score
I recently switched career paths and left medical school to pursue optometry. I started my OptomCAS application in September and submitted it, October 15th. Don't forget all the supplemental fees; I had no idea these existed. If you have any questions regarding how I tackled the application, feel free to reach out to me.

In late September, I started studying for the OAT. My sources are as follows:

Kaplan book (for readers)
—> I borrowed two books from the library. As I carried them home, I already knew that this was not for me. If you are a visual/video learner like me, do not waste time reading a giant book.

CrackOAT (7/10)—> Unfortunately, the following resource was out of date. I began by viewing the videos to understand the subject covered on the OAT, and after a week of studying, I learned that this software is simply for practice problems, not for content review. The layout of their practice exams, as well as the vast number of questions, are ideal for any student who wants to put in a lot of practice time. The natural sciences questions were fairly comparable to those on the OAT. However, in comparison to the real OAT, the physics questions were much too difficult. In terms of quantitative reasoning, their questions were far too simple and did not cover all of the OAT's topics.

Chad's Videos (9/10)—>I watched all of Chad's videos and took all of his practice exams. For each OAT topic, he had worksheets that went along with his video content. It helped me organize all of my information and grasp what I was studying rather than simply listening to the lessons. The note packets made it easy to go back to the topics I forgot. Chad also includes five practice examinations, which are helpful if you want to brush up on your skills (not timed). They are a bit more on the easier end.

OATBooster (10/10)—> I would say that this is my top choice for practice problems. Although the video material was a little vague, the practice tests were quite accurate to the OAT exam. Your physics and quantitative reasoning results will be poor, but this will only motivate you to study more. Furthermore, one of my favorite features of Booster is that you can mark your questions and then return to them on a separate page. I would advise you not to leave those marked questions until the week before the test.

Kenhub—> This is a wonderful resource for flashcards, but I would advise that you do that during your content review, not when you are taking practice exams.

Finally, if you want to perform well on the OAT, I strongly suggest you put in the necessary time and effort. Encourage yourself to study in a method that will help you understand rather than merely remember the material. I completed a year in medical school and am familiar with the demanding course content. Optometry school will be difficult as well. Organize your study plan and stick to it. I knew that I was not much of a test taker, so I spent every day from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. studying either in the library or at a cafe. I took a total of 21 practice examinations, which helped me get a good grasp of the pacing and different question styles. Good Luck!!!!

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 8.33.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 9.20.46 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.