today is the last day to make your voice heard to save GME funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the alchemist

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have not emailed, you NEED to email. If you have not called, you NEED to call. This proposed funding affects all those who will partake of the benefits of grad med ed (not just future physicians but future patients)

To EMAIL: http://www.capwiz.com/aacom/issues/alert/?alertid=56983501&type=CO

To Call: http://capwiz.com/aacom/callalert/index.tt?alertid=55984586

As of noon yesterday, over 40,000 emails were received in Washington! 20,000 osteopathic medical students, 80,000 allopathic medical students, residents, and physicians came together to make a statement about the value of our residency training and the need to preserve its funding.

We have one more opportunity to add to the number of calls and e-mails that Congress has received to ensure that this issue is taken seriously during next weeks' deficit reduction "Super Committee" negotiations. If you have not done so already, please send an e-mail to Congress today, November 18th! Word from the hill is that we are being heard - BUT WE CANT STOP.

If you are in a state with a Rep who sits on the Super Committee, you received an email detailing how important it is to act - we need you to act.

If you are not in a state with a Rep who sits on the Super Committee, we still need your voice.

TODAY is the LAST DAY to ensure that every member of Congress knows exactly what GME is, and what happens when its cut.

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/gmefunding/factsheets/253370/dont-cut-gme.html

If you are allopathic, here's the AAMC link to do the same: http://capwiz.com/aamc/home/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're kidding, right? You really think that with all the politics at play that a bunch of med students and/or residents are going to carry any real weight on this topic? To say nothing of the fact that it's the this sort of "my interest is too important to cut" mentality that has resulted in the horrible budget situation the US is in anyway.

You're kidding, right? You really think that with all the politics at play that a bunch of med students and/or residents are going to carry any real weight on this topic? To say nothing of the fact that it's the this sort of "my interest is too important to cut" mentality that has resulted in the horrible budget situation the US is in anyway.

So what? We should do nothing? We have no money as med students / residents. We should at least have our voices heard. Oh, I see you are a fellow, so you could care less since you will be done with training. How would you like to start off residency with the prospects of decreased pay, no pay, or possible tuition?

So what? We should do nothing? We have no money as med students / residents. We should at least have our voices heard. Oh, I see you are a fellow, so you could care less since you will be done with training. How would you like to start off residency with the prospects of decreased pay, no pay, or possible tuition?

i agree. even if we are jaded, if we always made our decisions and actions based on those feelings, there were be absolutely ZERO chance of getting what we want done. in the end, the cuts went through but less than expected and i'd like to think part of that was b/c ppl spoke up. plus, i've been involved in advocacy for a long time and have seen surprises when speaking up did enact the desired change.

Do what you want. Scream, kick, yell. Doubt anyone in Congress gives a crap about complaining med students or residents. Doubt many med students/residents are making large campaign contributions. And money is the only thing that seems to make one's voice heard in Washington. I would of course hated having no pay as a resident, but I do not believe that a copy and paste email campaign is going to make an iota of difference. The US healthcare system is so beyond broken it makes me incredibly disappointed to think about, so I support measures aimed at improving the system overall, even if it hurts resident and/or physician salaries.

Do what you want. Scream, kick, yell. Doubt anyone in Congress gives a crap about complaining med students or residents. Doubt many med students/residents are making large campaign contributions. And money is the only thing that seems to make one's voice heard in Washington. I would of course hated having no pay as a resident, but I do not believe that a copy and paste email campaign is going to make an iota of difference. The US healthcare system is so beyond broken it makes me incredibly disappointed to think about, so I support measures aimed at improving the system overall, even if it hurts resident and/or physician salaries.

what do you care mlw03? you had your days as a resident and got all the benefit from it and you're a fellow now. you want to see the ones that come after you suffer?

what do you care mlw03? you had your days as a resident and got all the benefit from it and you're a fellow now. you want to see the ones that come after you suffer?

I care because I see people suffering from lack of medical care, and think the system the provides care in the US is in need of major improvements. this sort of "i'm gonna watch out for my interests over those of others and the system as a whole" is why stuff rarely gets fixed in Congress.

but from your other post about suing i think i see where you stand on stuff.