Today's MCAT VR is most closely resembles...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you recent MCAT takers (May/June), which test prep company do you think the real VR section resembles? Or was it a combination (i.e., passages were like TPR, questions were like AAMC style, etc)?

Edit: forgot to put EK as one of the options. Please post if you think it resembles the EK 101 material.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most people have said that AAMC's are similar but the passages on the real thing can be longer with more questions. TPR is a bit harder with a harsher scale, but is good practice. Kaplan is nothing like it, they tend to have a lot of answers directly from the passage.

the VR on the real mcat is the same as that on the AAMC practice exams

the font size and screen setup is different from the practice exams, so it makes everyone think the passages are longer when in fact they are not

the VR on the real mcat is the same as that on the AAMC practice exams

the font size and screen setup is different from the practice exams, so it makes everyone think the passages are longer when in fact they are not

Really? I honestly don't think so. They are definitely longer. Impossible, no. But maybe a paragraph longer each? I mean, I had one today with a solid 6 hefty paragraphs. I remember few practice exams with passages that long and convoluted. But that's just my take on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Yeah, some of my friends that took it today said the passages were a bit like TPR style.

they definitely are a little longer. Even though everyone says ExamKrackers is great practice, I found today's test nothing like it. The real thing has more abstract weird passages than the AAMCs or examkrackers.

The passages may be slightly longer, though I'm thinking that maybe they just seem longer because of the pressure and the fact that it's the real test. I didn't think the passages themselves were actually all that boring/convoluted (June 18, 8 am administration) except for the one about morals. As for the answer choices, I think it's similar to the AAMC exams, and I don't think they were nearly as ambiguous as EK's tend to be. Overall, the difficulty of the section was on par with the AAMCs.

After taking my first real MCAT today i thought that the VR resembled the AAMC practice tests more so than the Kaplan FLs. The question stems reminded me much more of those full length AAMC but i thought overall the real MCAT was slightly more difficult. I don't think there is any real difference between the passages themselves in each of the tests but rather in the questions that are asked.

With regards to the questions that ask about the probable definition for a particular word from the passage, TPR usually just asks about the word and never gives the line or paragraph that the word is one has to scan their passages to find the word first (major waste of time). However, in the EK 101 passages, we're usually given the line where the word is from. Does the real MCAT give us the line?

pookiez88,

from my experience comparing TPR and AAMC's, I found that AAMC's do not really give you that bit of help or rather they go down that road more so than providing a line number. As for looking up the word, I don't see any way to do it unless I find the wrong answers too predictable. ex. an answer that gives the most obvious regurgitated explanation. anyway good thread.