sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
3,275
7
Pulling a rickshaw down Bay St.
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Ok, I'd like the real truth about what goes on over there in India. I have not been there since '99, and I've heard that you youngins over there have really tried your darndest to act, talk, and dress like the "evil" Westerners. Is this true? Here are some of the stereotypical things that have been said:

- they dress "scantily-clad" (I don't want to use any profanity)
- having bf/gf is highly common these days (parents are sometimes even encouraging this??)
- getting drunk, high, and going to the clubs are now the norms over there, cause education is no biggie, as mummy and daddy own a big company which you will probably inherit. <- this one I'd let go of
- if you fail an exam, you will pass it anyways as soon as you parents have chai and biscuits with the headmaster (along with some slipping of money under the table).
- AND, why do the Indians back home call us NRI's too Indian????
- where is India headed? Corruption? Destruction? or towards success?

Anyone care to have a discussion, feel free to join. One thing though, I don't wanna see any "NRIs are not studious/are laid back, as they won't top the class". If you do, bring it on, cause this NRI will bring his lathi :cool: .
 

nimeshshingala

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
564
0
canada
Status
sunny123 said:
Ok, I'd like the real truth about what goes on over there in India. I have not been there since '99, and I've heard that you youngins over there have really tried your darndest to act, talk, and dress like the "evil" Westerners. Is this true? Here are some of the stereotypical things that have been said:

- they dress "scantily-clad" (I don't want to use any profanity)
- having bf/gf is highly common these days (parents are sometimes even encouraging this??)
- getting drunk, high, and going to the clubs are now the norms over there, cause education is no biggie, as mummy and daddy own a big company which you will probably inherit. <- this one I'd let go of
- if you fail an exam, you will pass it anyways as soon as you parents have chai and biscuits with the headmaster (along with some slipping of money under the table).
- AND, why do the Indians back home call us NRI's too Indian????
- where is India headed? Corruption? Destruction? or towards success?

Anyone care to have a discussion, feel free to join. One thing though, I don't wanna see any "NRIs are not studious/are laid back, as they won't top the class". If you do, bring it on, cause this NRI will bring his lathi :cool: .
georgie boy
I have spent most of my life in india and in one of the most cosmopolitan cities there(bombay of course)
since last few years , ever since the satellite boom and the opening up of economy, there has been trends towards westernisation
this is because of access to so many western tv channels and hollywood movies
India is one of the fastest growing economies at the moment
there has been a surge in the salaries and people have more buying capacities
they travel a lot outside india and get a lot of exposure to the other cultures
Also there is a large population of educated young people
yes, some of the girls do like dressing up in short minis , but it is not like wide spread as you imply
Having Bf/gf can be seen in cities like bombay or maybe delhi but you won't find it in rural areas
remember what you hear is happening only in big cities like bombay
but bombay is not india, 80% of the population live in villages and nothing much has changed over there, look at bihar for example, they say bihar has more craters than moon, and what can you expect when they have a chief minister who cannot even sign, (she has just recently learned to write her name rabri")
but bombay and maybe bangalore are more towards adopting western type lifestyle because many of the people coming to usa or other western countries are from this place
and I don't see anything wrong with that
many years ago , being a single mother was a social stigma even here in north america but it is no more
so it takes time for a society to attain maturity, It will happen in india sooner or later
PHP:
if you fail an exam, you will pass it anyways as soon as you parents have chai and biscuits with the headmaster (along with some slipping of money under the table).
this is not a right statement to make
you are degrading the indian education system, Many of the brilliant doctors,engineers in usa and canada have got their education in india
if they passed by giving chai pani to their headmaster, they won't have been so successful here
PHP:
where is India headed? Corruption? Destruction? or towards success?
India is definately heading towards being the next super power , they have a huge educated young population who are hard working and determined and who have been brought up in a hard way competing among a billion population
they have a good man heading the country, I have great respect for mr manmohan singh, as he is not a politician but a intellectual who was the architect of liberalisation in india
but it is a developing country and is heading in the right direction
what ever you say , 'MERA BHARAT MAHAN"
 
OP
sunny123

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
3,275
7
Pulling a rickshaw down Bay St.
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Obviously, from my first post I said that these statements were "stereotypical", and I just want the inside scoop. And Nimesh, thank you for view, you did give me alot of info (I didn't even know about that thing with Bihar :)).

Anyways, when you say that Indian students work really hard, I don't think I can agree with you. Let me tell you why. From what I have seen first hand when I went to India, were my cousins memorizing line for line, pages after pages, for an exam. Indian students are taught how to memorize, and not to think creatively (you can only start to do that in higher education, otherwise we wouldn't have ingeniutive things like Hotmail). People on this forum have said NRI's can't do well (and that may be very true) in Indian medical schools. But why is that? Because of how the school setting is structured. Again, from what I have heard from my own parents, is that examinations are just based on memorization, nothing more. no creative thinking whatsoever. Please don't give me the example of Rabindranath Tagore's Nobel Prize, because he only won it because his very good friend was on the Nobel committee. The impression that I get from Indians (coming from India) attending my university, is that they are extremely interested in finding their life-partner, and could care less about school. There have been so many of these kind of kids that have turned soo rotten. AND, the Indians that I've encountered have always come to me for help because, one: they see another brown person so they'll feel comfortable talking to me (I got no problem with that) and two: they don't understand what is being asked. I mean, if the prof asks them to analyze a novel, or write a research paper, they can't do it.

So what I am trying to say is, yes they study, but they study to memorize.


And you also bring up the line "Mera Bharat Mahan" (which I think means, my India is great?).....

What has India done for the Dalit community? Left them in the dust, that is what. I mean, the atrocities that have been done towards them, despite the advances of technology and economy, do not even compare. I hope Mr. Singh will focus his attention on this, because no one else is doing a thing about it. You also say that people are making more money and are able to buy more things? What kiind of poeple? The rich. In India, as the rich get richer, the poor are left to die. Sure, there are many pseudo organizations out there fighting for their rights, but in all reality, nothing is being done.

I really don't know where India is headed, but it isn't in the right direction.
 

serenity

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
132
0
Status
sunny123 said:
What has India done for the Dalit community? Left them in the dust, that is what. I mean, the atrocities that have been done towards them, despite the advances of technology and economy, do not even compare. I hope Mr. Singh will focus his attention on this, because no one else is doing a thing about it. You also say that people are making more money and are able to buy more things? What kiind of poeple? The rich. In India, as the rich get richer, the poor are left to die. Sure, there are many pseudo organizations out there fighting for their rights, but in all reality, nothing is being done.

I really don't know where India is headed, but it isn't in the right direction.

Dear Sunny boy,

Since you brought the topic of Dalit community,I couldn't stop myself from posting in this forum.I have been a silent observer ,been in states for 15 months now.
What's really drowning India right now is the corruption and dirty politics.It will take a long time before India can come out of this.
What I do know is that India is a great place to live in.When I came to States many months ago,I was not at all starstruck.
I have lived all my life in small metropolitan towns and also the capital city.
Even though most of the cities are crowded ,they are bustling with energy and there is not a dull moment.
Its difficult for you to understand because you didn't have the opportunity to witness the beauty of India.Its different,yes its poor but think about this..........if India starts taxing people the way United states does and turns its back to socialised medicine,it will be the richest country in the world.
A lot has been done towards Dalit,but rich Dalits are making use of it.
And as far as memorising and lack of creative thinking is concerned,I don't agree with you.If it had been so,not so many Indians would have been at highly coveted positions in software companies.
Even Bill Gates agrees.
Another thing is that the generation that migrated to US in 60s is a mean bunch,no offense,but most of them look down upon their relatives in India and think that they are superior beings living in US.I really cannot understand why they behave this way.
 

Athene

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
1,404
0
www.nivmedia.com
Status
Well,some of the things are painfully true.
Like clothes...too much of west in there.
You can not sit with family and watch T.V.....too much of skin on the tube.
Education system is getting tougher to get in and too competitive.
 

Athene

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
1,404
0
www.nivmedia.com
Status
serenity said:
Dear Sunny boy,

Since you brought the topic of Dalit community,I couldn't stop myself from posting in this forum.I have been a silent observer ,been in states for 15 months now.
What's really drowning India right now is the corruption and dirty politics.It will take a long time before India can come out of this.
What I do know is that India is a great place to live in.When I came to States many months ago,I was not at all starstruck.
I have lived all my life in small metropolitan towns and also the capital city.
Even though most of the cities are crowded ,they are bustling with energy and there is not a dull moment.
Its difficult for you to understand because you didn't have the opportunity to witness the beauty of India.Its different,yes its poor but think about this..........if India starts taxing people the way United states does and turns its back to socialised medicine,it will be the richest country in the world.
A lot has been done towards Dalit,but rich Dalits are making use of it.
And as far as memorising and lack of creative thinking is concerned,I don't agree with you.If it had been so,not so many Indians would have been at highly coveted positions in software companies.
Even Bill Gates agrees.
Another thing is that the generation that migrated to US in 60s is a mean bunch,no offense,but most of them look down upon their relatives in India and think that they are superior beings living in US.I really cannot understand why they behave this way.
I agree to this fully.Dalits have an advantage in India.My sister had 200 rank in All India Engineering Test.She wanted to join Electronics Engineering at a National Institue of Technology (previously REC;supposed to be next to IIT's).Guess what ,that seat was reserved for Schedule caste candidate(quota).She had an option of Mechanical or Mining.Now the person who got the EE seat was a schedule caste with rank :eek: 4000.....wow...so much for hard work.
PGI has 2 seats for MDS!!!one reserved for SC quota....bingo 50%.
Thats how the system works!!!!Then we come to US for greener pastures and Indian Govt. starts a debate on BRAIN-DRAIN. :scared:
Yes ,Govt.of India should help Dalits.It can pay the fees for them....give them food...not reserve specific seats for them.Moreover,if parents availed SC quota and are class 1 officers..do their children need the advantage of SC quota??????
 
OP
sunny123

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
3,275
7
Pulling a rickshaw down Bay St.
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Dear Ms/Mr Serenity,

You say a lot has been done for the Dalit community and rich Dalits are making use of it. Meetlife has also given an example of how spots are reserved for Dalits. Honestly, I don't think the Dalit community should be used as a scapegoat for not being able to enter an educational institution. Do you even realize how they were even barred from recieving ANY education whatsoever?? I mean, when the people of India made the Dalits carry human excrement and perform menial tasks for little or no payment whatsoever, I highly doubt anyone should be using a seat in an institution something to complain about. AND, please don't use the term "Scheduled Caste/class", as it is quite discrimminatory. I may not have all the facts, so please, kindly enlighten me as to how much is being done for them.

Another thing is that the generation that migrated to US in 60s is a mean bunch,no offense,but most of them look down upon their relatives in India and think that they are superior beings living in US.I really cannot understand why they behave this way.
Really? Mean bunch? Actually, what I have experienced is the other way around. I have several relatives back home (none that I am necessarily close with) that are jealous that my parents came to Canada and they never got the chance. There is a saying in bengali, which goes like this "they like the smell of foreign blood". Some people in India really like the fact that they have relatives living abroad use this fact to boast/show-off within their community circles.

And as far as memorising and lack of creative thinking
I should have made my point a bit clearer. Apparently students in India have to go for "tuitions"? Which is going to a tutor to learn all the material during their day school. And most of the time, the tutor is actually the day school teacher. I mean, the teacher is collecting two salaries. The kids over there are just memorizing facts and figures 24/7. I did make the point of the creation of hotmail (see my original post), so I am aware of Indians making an impact in today's world. But it is the notion of how NRIs are inferior in education standards, compared to homegrown Indians.
 

serenity

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
132
0
Status
You say a lot has been done for the Dalit community and rich Dalits are making use of it. Meetlife has also given an example of how spots are reserved for Dalits. Honestly, I don't think the Dalit community should be used as a scapegoat for not being able to enter an educational institution. Do you even realize how they were even barred from recieving ANY education whatsoever?? I mean, when the people of India made the Dalits carry human excrement and perform menial tasks for little or no payment whatsoever, I highly doubt anyone should be using a seat in an institution something to complain about. AND, please don't use the term "Scheduled Caste/class", as it is quite discrimminatory. I may not have all the facts, so please, kindly enlighten me as to how much is being done for them.

As I pointed out earlier,this is all dirty politics and India will take a long time to come out of it.The thing is that there are many very poor Brahmins as well who don't get any reservation in education.The problem is not caste,it is poverty.Poverty cannot be cured just by reserving positions for the underpriveledged.Forget about the things they were made to do,even Blacks did that earlier,but it was dealt in a better way in US then in India.

Really? Mean bunch? Actually, what I have experienced is the other way around. I have several relatives back home (none that I am necessarily close with) that are jealous that my parents came to Canada and they never got the chance. There is a saying in bengali, which goes like this "they like the smell of foreign blood". Some people in India really like the fact that they have relatives living abroad use this fact to boast/show-off within their community circle

Even I can site examples of my relatives in United States,who are a pain in the ......They were happy when I was struggling and now that I have interviewed at highly esteemed institutions ,they suddenly cannot see eye to eye.Without getting offensive,I mean to say is,that there seems to be some misunderstanding between the two groups.

I should have made my point a bit clearer. Apparently students in India have to go for "tuitions"? Which is going to a tutor to learn all the material during their day school. And most of the time, the tutor is actually the day school teacher. I mean, the teacher is collecting two salaries. The kids over there are just memorizing facts and figures 24/7. I did make the point of the creation of hotmail (see my original post), so I am aware of Indians making an impact in today's world. But it is the notion of how NRIs are inferior in education standards, compared to homegrown Indians.

This is corruption,I told you earlier about.
 

Athene

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
1,404
0
www.nivmedia.com
Status
serenity said:
AND, please don't use the term "Scheduled Caste/class", as it is quite discrimminatory. I may not have all the facts, so please, kindly enlighten me as to how much is being done for them.

.
Hahaha....i love that...wow u want us not to call them SC/BC.....why??They have all the advantage cos of the title .They get forms to apply to medical/engineering schools at half price cos they use the title"SC/BC".They have quota under the same name.Well,sure it smells discrimination.
 

Athene

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
1,404
0
www.nivmedia.com
Status
sunny123 said:
Dear Ms/Mr Serenity,

Do you even realize how they were even barred from recieving ANY education whatsoever?? I mean, when the people of India made the Dalits carry human excrement and perform menial tasks for little or no payment whatsoever, I highly doubt anyone should be using a seat in an institution something to complain about. .
Hmmmnn..well you can say so..sitting in USA...but the facts remain facts.I had a batchmate...SC....both parents IAS officers...Did she need any quota??No.She was studying at one of the best schools.....had driver...servants at home....now quota has to be for underprevileged not these rich SC/BC's.

Well,there is a need to crib about seats.Govt. reserves the seats and gives to the special class.....alas....private companies ,MNs do not hire them.Why??cos a student with 4000 rank does not stand a chance in front of the toppers.So Govt. of India wants to have quota in privates companies for Dalits.This is the hot issue.

Problem is not about Dalits.These quotas were meant for underprevileged and are being used for votes.
 

parasiteatwork

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
593
1
39
Timisoara Romania
Status
meetlife said:
Hahaha....i love that...wow u want us not to call them SC/BC.....why??They have all the advantage cos of the title .They get forms to apply to medical/engineering schools at half price cos they use the title"SC/BC".They have quota under the same name.Well,sure it smells discrimination.
I totally totally agree with you.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
 

parasiteatwork

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
593
1
39
Timisoara Romania
Status
Sunny-
There is no way through which u can compare 2 indian teenagers...just like u cannot compare 2 americans...there is no such scale...never was...never will be!!!
So whatever remarks u may have heard deal with only a bunch of people n not everyone.for eg, some people memorize(mug up)pages after pages while the others just study through the stuff...you cannot generalize that....maybe your cousin studied in that particular manner(n so do I) but not everyone in India.....n I m sure its the same everywhere in the world....N by the way,I can write a paper or analyze a topic without any probelm....so???
As for the dressing thing>>>well coz one is supposed to be all covered up most of the time( esp girls),its looks really different if a few girls show offa little bit of skin....but that hardly matters....n strictly speaking the dressing sense depends on where the person actually lives...rural or urban!!!cosmopolitan /metros or villages!!!
The bf/gf thing has always been there...since decades...the only thing is that NOW people dont mind coming out in the open n accepting that they do have a gf/bf....as for the parent's attitudes,That depends!!
About the Movies.....Havent u watched The RAJKAPOOR's movies.....
.....will countinue later....
 

nimeshshingala

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
564
0
canada
Status
georgie boy
you have brought up the issue of dalits in india
that's a very good question , I think much of your thoughts have been influenced by the books you have read on the past atrocities on the dalits
yes it is a fact !! I agree with you but that was history
there were many wrong things which were done in the past not only in india but even here in usa where blacks were brought in as slaves or in germany where you know there was this holocaust where six million jews were gassed to death
or in south africa where there was this aparthied till as recently as in early 90s
america got its independence in the year 1776 , the women in usa got the right to vote only in 1920 that is 144 years after it gained independence!!!! wow
the american indians(not us , the local indians) got their right to vote in the year 1924, isn't that ironic that they were given their due rights only after 148 years in their own land,
the point I am trying to make is every society takes its time to mature , they learn from history and try to make amends
india achieved its independence only in 1947 and this is 2005 so it is only around 58 years since we have been free from the british rule
unfortunately we have this caste based system in india where people of certain caste were looked down upon and they were a oppressed society
This was taken into consideration by our forfathers when they wrote the indian constitution, they were given reservations in all the govt jobs and higher education
initially there was a time frame of 10 years , the idea was to integrate the so called lower caste people into the main society ,acknowleging the fact that they were at a disadvantage when it came to competing with the brahmins and the other so called higher caste people when it came to competing with them for the govt jobs and higher education like medicine and engineering etc etc
that 10 years was extended year after year
and today no politician has the will or the guts to get away with the reservation system because the dalits are in majority and no political party can win elections without their support
there are sufficient laws in india which protects the rights of the minorities and lower caste.
Now after 58 years of achieving independence, many of the so called oppressed people have come into the main stream society and are quite well to do , but the law is still there
how would you feel when a person comes in his mercedes to apply for a medical college with 45 % marks but produce a lower caste certificate in his application and a poor brahmin boy comes in a public transport bus with 90% to apply for the same position and he is denied admission but the guy coming in mercedes is preffered over him inspite of poor marks
if you are aware there were this big riots in early 90s when V.P singh was the prime minister and he decided to implement the mandal commision which had reccomended more reservations, there were so many young youths who burned themselves to protest against this policies but not a single politician came to support them because it is not politically correct to go against the dalits
so my point is reservation is fine but should be based on the financial condition of the family and not on the basis of their caste
will continue later
 

toothie

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2004
438
0
Status
westernisation has crept into the cosmopolitan cities but rural india is still as it was.
the prob is the richa re getting richer and the poor poorer.. with rising costs , the wealthy benefit with rising salaries etc , the poor have been burdened excessivly with rising costs that even one square meal a day is difficult to obtain.
the education system is not all bad , it depend ont he type of education u have been exposed to. i never took extra tutorials or coaching classes in my life cause there never was a need too. i cse required , our school teachers were always there for us.. even if it meant stayign after class hrs.
i agree that a lot of systems encourage muggin but that cannot be generalised... i cannot mug even one line!!!
whereas the dalits are concerned , the poor are still pooor and the wealthy are making use of their status even when they are actually not elegible for it....
like meetlife said the qoatas for them at examinations benfits them but the more deserving , hard working students loose out...
eg: in the state CET , evn after securing a rank of 20 , i wasnt able to get admission for PG but students with a rank of 250 did because of the reservations for the dalits....plus they got into more practical and better fields and all the non clinical subjects were left for us....
its the corruption that is the down fall of our country.....
westernisation had opened up people .. u can have a BF / GF openly.. u can think of wearing tiny skimpy clothes, u can go to the bar or pub , u can go to the club dancing ,i guess all this alwasy used to happen , maybe more more openly now......but even with all trhese influenzes around u.. u onl y are responsible for the type of person u want to become.....

inspite of everything , i still feel the india is a great country.. been here in the states for about a yr .. and would luv to go back... cause the energy that exists back home just isnt here...!!!
 

toothie

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2004
438
0
Status
[QUOTE
you are aware there were this big riots in early 90s when V.P singh was the prime minister and he decided to implement the mandal commision which had reccomended more reservations, there were so many young youths who burned themselves to protest against this policies but not a single politician came to support them because it is not politically correct to go against the dalits
so my point is reservation is fine but should be based on the financial condition of the family and not on the basis of their caste
will continue later[/QUOTE]

i agree that the financial condition should be taken in condiseration rather than basis of caste .
a lot of people whome i studied with , were from backward castes but there were earnign 100 time s more than an average person makes.... and yet they had the ebnefit of getting free education with low marks and we had to pay full fees which was a burden for our parents and our marks were double theirs..!!!!
but like nimesh said its a political decision and no politician will tamper with ... cause ultimately it s the vote that counts..!!
 

hopeful05

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
452
0
35
PA
Status
Pharmacist
Int. discussion guys.... though i'm not in a position to comment on some of the issues...but regarding the westernization-- I agree that indian teenagers are progressing fast in that direction, some part of it is good because they are learning to be independent early on -- but its all still pretty normal there- and traditions are still followed. Having a boyfrnd there is not comparable to having one here.
What makes people abroad question "whats going on with the indian society nowadays?" is the movies really.... In the past 3 years- the trend has changed completely. Earlier watching movies with the family was one of the most fun-times for me...but now with some of these movies--it does get kind of awkward sometimes. This doesn't happen with hollywood movies- because its expected there- its normal. But when watching bollywood flicks--we relate them to the indian society, and that can be alarming sometimes. But i don't think they are representative at all. when copying foreign plots..they copy everything---the directors sometimes seem to forget that certain situations are so alien to the indian public--so they must be tailored in the script to be tasteful--i'm not talking abt censorship...in some ways i'm glad that atleast they are showing that indian people do kiss.... but just that the scenes need to be tasteful-- to depict the beauty of the situation rather than just two people awkwardly making out or unknown bar dancers shaking it ....for no relevant reason...
 
OP
sunny123

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
3,275
7
Pulling a rickshaw down Bay St.
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
^ Yes hopeful05, this is an interesting discussion :)

Now, back to the topic at hand. Seems like all of the desi folk here (born and brought up in the motherland) are all against me :lol:, as if I don't understand the concept of dalits and how they are benefiting in the education system (in terms of seat availability). Is there no other NRI that has a view on this? (In all reality, most NRIs generally have no interest in their history which is quite sad, anyways...)

The same example is being thrown at me by several posters:
Rich Dalit, with poor marks, gets accepted to an institution, instead of the bright, yet poor, Brahmin.

Have any of you thought about what the Dalit's parents, or his great grandparents, and so on, were allowed to do? Carry human excrement. Now that people (activists) are advocating spots for them, and some may not be qualified, everyone starts blaming the Dalits. Please understand, if there are a set number of seats reserved for Dalits, then the best candidate should be chosen (not the mercedes driving, goonda, who has poor marks). We in Canada have seats reserved for Aboriginals, and no one here complains or blames their misfortunes on them.

Nimesh, you say I have been influenced by what I have read. Most certainly, because not even my parents bothered to mention such things to me, so where else do you expect me to find such information? I am quite aware of the various setbacks of other races and genders, but I am only focusing upon India here. Meetlife, you say it is easy for me to say such things, sitting here in the USA (well you meant Canada :) ), well we have the same thing here with the Aboriginal Indians.

Here is a newflash for everyone, not all hardworking people get what they deserve in life. Think of it as karma ;) .
 
P

Premedtomed

sunny123 said:
^ Yes hopeful05, this is an interesting discussion :)

Now, back to the topic at hand. Seems like all of the desi folk here (born and brought up in the motherland) are all against me :lol:, as if I don't understand the concept of dalits and how they are benefiting in the education system (in terms of seat availability). Is there no other NRI that has a view on this? (In all reality, most NRIs generally have no interest in their history which is quite sad, anyways...)

The same example is being thrown at me by several posters:
Rich Dalit, with poor marks, gets accepted to an institution, instead of the bright, yet poor, Brahmin.

Have any of you thought about what the Dalit's parents, or his great grandparents, and so on, were allowed to do? Carry human excrement. Now that people (activists) are advocating spots for them, and some may not be qualified, everyone starts blaming the Dalits. Please understand, if there are a set number of seats reserved for Dalits, then the best candidate should be chosen (not the mercedes driving, goonda, who has poor marks). We in Canada have seats reserved for Aboriginals, and no one here complains or blames their misfortunes on them.

Nimesh, you say I have been influenced by what I have read. Most certainly, because not even my parents bothered to mention such things to me, so where else do you expect me to find such information? I am quite aware of the various setbacks of other races and genders, but I am only focusing upon India here. Meetlife, you say it is easy for me to say such things, sitting here in the USA (well you meant Canada :) ), well we have the same thing here with the Aboriginal Indians.

Here is a newflash for everyone, not all hardworking people get what they deserve in life. Think of it as karma ;) .

Sunny boy I got some thoughts. Sadly, the rich Dalits have been benefiting but what has the society as a whole done to make things better?
Sadly there are very few organizations that try to bring all the Hindus togehter and get rid of casteism. People need a voice and respect. Every Hindu is equal regardless of his/her caste. Once people realize this, which happens these days, I mean when it comes to marriages, especially here in the US. Marriages among Hindus from different backgrounds.

Come on we are great at churning out babies, let us mix and make the society more unified. After that, who's to say who's a Dalit? :laugh: :laugh:
 
P

Premedtomed

Also, crime by Dalits is a bit of a problem. Again, not a lot is being done by various Hindu organizations to help these people gain self-respect and feel more part of the society.

Sunny boy I am glad that you have taken interest in Indian social issues.
Keep it up!
This is what we need, more leaders, people asking questions, only then can something constructive will be done!
 

IMGforNeuro

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
153
1
Visit site
Status
I laugh a lot when NRIs teach us abou morality and ethics.
You can debate anything both ways. You always look to the rising star.
The nris of 60s, 70s and 80s haven't seen what the current emerging indian economy and power is. They could hav never imagined this.
Anyway, with the imminent medicare, medicaid and social security bankruptcy many things in the US will change drastically.
Regarding creativity, it is only because of strong educational and cultural foundations that things are moving up and fast.