steppwolf

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Non-Student
This came from my pre-med advisor:

it is appropriate to thank your recommenders and give them tokens of your appreciation after they submit your letters.
So, is this common practice, and what is an appropriate "token?"

Caristra

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
I think it depends on your relationship with the writer. I would love to give my lab PI a ceramic model of a sea urchin but I would stick to something more traditional for my organic professor. I'm waiting till after I finsh the entire application cycle though so they can be combined letter writing/I'm graduating thanks for everything gifts.

Try searching, this has been covered before.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank Yous after they write it, and then I'm thinking a nice card saying where you were accepted is cool. Updates to the profs when you get interviews. I think they just want to see us do well.

About the Ads

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status
Medical Student
If/When I get into ANY medical school, I will be purchasing bottles of some wine for my 4 LOR writers, my pre-med advisor, and i'm taking all my buddies out to the bar where drinks will be on me. You're all invited. Mark my word!

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
Robizzle said:
If/When I get into ANY medical school, I will be purchasing bottles of some wine for my 4 LOR writers, my pre-med advisor, and i'm taking all my buddies out to the bar where drinks will be on me. You're all invited. Mark my word!
THAT'S AN EXCELLENT PLAN, BUDDY!:D

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Robizzle said:
Hmmm...I've always wanted to see Boston... :laugh: :thumbup:

ph8

the game is afoot...
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
jackieMD2007 said:
Thank Yous after they write it, and then I'm thinking a nice card saying where you were accepted is cool. Updates to the profs when you get interviews. I think they just want to see us do well.

I'll second Jackie's method (since it's pretty close to what I'm doing).

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
While wine is nice, chocolate has a much more sense of ownage. :)

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Robizzle said:
Alright! Time to start a new thread: The OFFICIAL countdown until Robizzle buys us all drinks thread! :thumbup:

About the Ads