Toledo aka MCO aka MUO decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shpamme

status pages confuse me.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when people will be informed this month for Toledo/MUO?

Also, does anyone know--if I referred to the school as MUO in thank you letters will it hurt me? (Like, does it make me look like I overlook important details?) I know they merged recently but when I applied in August it was still MUO, so by lapse I referred to it like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know when people will be informed this month for Toledo/MUO?

Also, does anyone know--if I referred to the school as MUO in thank you letters will it hurt me? (Like, does it make me look like I overlook important details?) I know they merged recently but when I applied in August it was still MUO, so by lapse I referred to it like that.

did you get an interview, if yes, when?

I received my interview invite mid-January (I forget exactly when....sorry, otherwise I'd totally tell you). On my sheet it showed they were interviewing well into March.. and I remember seeing a couple other people saying they recently received interview invites (like, received them sometime late Jan). Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure I'm going to toledo. If you have an interview at toledo you have a very very good chance at getting in, they are super selective before interview.

You'll hear back pretty soon. I got my acceptance in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Thank you so much Texas fool. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Hehe.. yeah, I heard the superselectiveness thing too. I was just worried because while I thought one interview went well, my second interview was short. It wasn't BAD per se, but it was short. He asked me the ethical questions but didn't ask me too much about my application really. Despite the superselectiveness, if anyone could screw a sure thing up, it would be me.

I'm on pins and needles waiting. The campus was absolutely stunning (especially from those heated walkways with a view of the tree-filled, snow-covered valley), and the people were great too. And dang..that anatomy lab was something else.

Thank you so much Texas fool. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Hehe.. yeah, I heard the superselectiveness thing too. I was just worried because while I thought one interview went well, my second interview was short. It wasn't BAD per se, but it was short. He asked me the ethical questions but didn't ask me too much about my application really. Despite the superselectiveness, if anyone could screw a sure thing up, it would be me.

I'm on pins and needles waiting. The campus was absolutely stunning (especially from those heated walkways with a view of the tree-filled, snow-covered valley), and the people were great too. And dang..that anatomy lab was something else.

I was on an interview tour when i went and toledo was sandwiched between two others so I didn't get to experience toledo, I fell asleep during a large part of the talks and especial the financial aid stuff.

One of my interviews was short also.

I thought the anatomy lab was cool also, but I didn't get to talk to many studnets. I wish I had had the chance to interact more with students.

I fell asleep during a large part of the talks and especial the financial aid stuff.

One of my interviews was short also.

I thought the anatomy lab was cool also, but I didn't get to talk to many studnets. I wish I had had the chance to interact more with students.

Hey Texas Fool!
Haha.. did they notice you fall asleep? Thanks for reassuring me that your interview was short. I was worried.
We didn't have a financial aid presentation on my day. The lady wasn't there, so the Dean gave a abridged version.
I think you'll have a great time when you go there. The students were really great--not just the ones who led the tour and had lunch with us, but pretty much everyone I ran into. My tour guides were so off the wall and funny.. they made it a point to show us the extra special bathrooms in the clinical skills center, wtih the gorilla shrine. At one point, this was my tour guide:
"And at Toledo we are known for having some of the most beautiful people of all med schools." [Pulls aside some random Asian guy walking down the hallway] "In fact, here's one now!" [The guy turns out to be his roommate..]
Total hams, it was a lot of fun. They were so down to earth and nice.
Even in the class we sat in on, all the students were so friendly to one another--everyone was chatting during the breaks. It didn't look like there were really cliques. People were going back and forth between rows, explaining things to each other. To be honest it had a really festive atmosphere actually!
And the teacher was really amazing too. I don't know her name...she was teaching anatomy. But she basically presented a lot of intro concepts upfront. Like, all the questions I would have not asked because I thought they are too stupid to ask, she clarified at the outset. ("Remember guys.. what does efferent mean again?") Just spectacular..

Does anyone know why they stopped giving tours of Toledo city? I read in the interview feedback that they used to give tours of the city. They didn't on my day. I was really looking forward to it =(

I started some toledo threads before, but they tend to die fast. Not many people on here from toledo.

Wait.. why? Do only people from Toledo tend to go to Toledo? I thought there would be a lot of interest from OOS as well. I thought lot of people are accepted from OOS. Dr. Burns (assistant dean of admissions) said at the orientation nearly 35% of the class is OOS. And at my interview it broke down to roughly that.. of the 13 people, 9 were Ohio residents and 4 OOS.

Or.. did you mean there's not a lot of people who apply to Toledo?

I'm confused :p

Wait.. why? Do only people from Toledo tend to go to Toledo? I thought there would be a lot of interest from OOS as well. I thought lot of people are accepted from OOS. Dr. Burns (assistant dean of admissions) said at the orientation nearly 35% of the class is OOS. And at my interview it broke down to roughly that.. of the 13 people, 9 were Ohio residents and 4 OOS.

Or.. did you mean there's not a lot of people who apply to Toledo?

I'm confused :p

Toledo has a very good out of state acceptance rate in comparison to its out of state application rate. I think that it's just not that popular in part because it's a state school and most people just assume it's not worth applying to from out of state. This is in fact the first time I have seen someone talk about toledo on here and I've been around SDN for 2 years (though I'm not on all the time). When I was reapplying this year I decided to make a calculation based on my chances as an out of state applicant for each school. Take the out of state applicant pool / the amount of out of state students matriculated. The smaller the number, the better the chance but I made sure to call the school and ask them if I really did have a chance because some schools require out of state applicants to be in a partner state.

I see.. thank you for clarifying! That helps a lot.

Le sigh.. well, the waiting game begins. Hopefully I can see you at Toledo next year! Congrats again =)

This is in fact the first time I have seen someone talk about toledo on here and I've been around SDN for 2 years (though I'm not on all the time).

That may be because of the merger. We've technically only been called "University of Toledo" since July 1st, so you'll see many threads talking about the Medical College of Ohio or the Medical University of Ohio. All are the same. I actually applied to MCO, matriculated to MUO (they changed the name to university for a few reasons), and I will graduate from the University of Toledo. Kinda confusing, but with every name change the campus bookstore would give 75-80% off on the merchandise with the old name on it......meaning cheap clothes for us! I think we're pretty much set on University of Toledo college of medicine for quite a while now.

I know there have been class threads for the last two matriculating classes (the '09 and '10) and there's a current '11 class thread up here now.

Also, don't worry about calling us MUO. Faculty members still do it all the time, so they're not going to be critical of that. They understand the way AMCAS works and that it was actually listed at MUO on there.

And I'll also confirm that we accept 30-35% of our class as OOS. Next years class will be 150-155, and a good 45-50 of them will be out of state. California, Michigan, and Utah seem to be very common for students. However, that's more of an issue of competitiveness of Cali and Utah schools and close proximity in Michigan's case instead of a preference on those states by the admissions committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Hallm_7! That answered a lot of my questions.

Does anyone know if you hear via email, thick packet, or phone call? I'm going to be out of town taking an exam at the end of the month, and I don't want to miss it *if* it comes.. and that's a big if..

Do you think the sorta larger class sizes makes it harder to learn? Or are people pretty supportive. Like, when I sat in on the lecture--the professor was amazing, but I'd imagine given such a large class I'd be scared to actually ask questions.

Also if you're 3rd/4th year how have your patient loads been? Do you ever head to Kobacker or the Acute Rehab hospital for rotations, or do you do them all in the main teaching hospital?

Haha.. I saw the sign about the 70-80% off MUO merchandise in the hallway when I was interviewing. If I end up matriculating there I might ask you to pick up a sweatshirt for me before they run out. I'm not into advertising where I go to school via paraphenelia, but those college sweatshirts by Champion are always so roomy and comfy.. =)

I had my interview on Feb 1st, and I didn't get a tour or fin-aid presentation. I'm still waiting to see if I got in, the Asst. Dean said it should take three weeks so around the 21st. I'm hoping I don't get waitlisted because the rest of my deposits are due on May 15th, and that will be a huge waist of money. Good luck and I hope you get in.

Oh gosh...Feb 21..that's coming up!!! I will keep my fingers crossed for you too!!!

Take care!

Hey Hey Hey,

I interviewed on the 5th of Feb ... and they said that I would expect to hear back 'round the beg. of March. As of then, they had filled 126/160 spots in the class. Not sure what percent was IS/OOS, because they have a defined no. of seats for each. That being said, their waitlist shuffles alot. Anyways, I would expect delays, as the weather here (Ohio) has been crazy this week (huge ice storm... osu closed for a day and a half... and it has to be near armageddon for them to shut their doors.)

-Buckeye.

Toledo was my first interview and they accepted me within 3 weeks. I screwed up my first interview though he was a really really nice guy. I was really scared and things happened.
I didn't know that they were super selective about pre-interview stage. But I didn't get a chance to see the anatomy lab for some reason... can't think of why they omitted that from the tour. I think the ppl are really nice there. It's certainly a good school where students have a good average Step 1 score. :thumbup:

Hey guys.
I interviewed there in October (OOS from CA), got accepted after 3 weeks.
Just for your information, it was a SMALL envelope, but a thick one.

And don't worry about your short interview. My first interview was really short and he basically asked me what I wanted to know about the school. That was it.

I think you don't hear too much about Toledo, especially if you are from CA AND if you are asian or other minority group, becuz most of us apply to schools here or mainly to the ones in east coast, or bigger cities such as chicago where there is more diversity in population. (just my thought)

Personally, I don't really mind about those things and I would love to leave CA and experience different lifestyle and "weather" as well.
I really liked the school and I just wish I paid more attention during my tour. (I was little nervous about my second interview)

Right now, I am still in the process of decision making but I wish you guys the best and if we all end up going there, i will see you guys there.

Stay warm.

You know, that's the funny thing. The stats posted at the orientation session indicated something like 70-80% of the class is Caucasian. But when I went to the anatomy class, it felt REALLY diverse when I scanned the room. I saw lots of African-American kids, lots of Asian kids and lots of Indian kids. The one group I didn't seem to see much (NOT that you can tell just by looking, so I could be wrong) were Latino students.

Even better, everyone seemed to be mingling at the break without regard to race. It felt like such a party in there.. admittedly a party with a lot of very smart hardworking people who were all talking about the lecture, but a fun bunch.

Wow, 126/160 is really specific info--thank you!! See..what worries me is that if 126/160 were filled Feb 5, then anyone who interviewed after that is vying for only 34 remaining spots. That worries me becuase at my interview alone there were 13 people. And, I know after me they had another 3-4 weeks of interviews left. So, let's say they interview about 20 people per week total between Tu/Th. That means that between February 5 and March they are interviewing 80 people for 34 remaining spots. That is definitely a worse ratio than the 280 accepted/400 interviewed Dr. Burns mentioned at the orientation session. This does not bode well for me.. le sigh. I don't think I got rejected, but this sure looks like another waitlist. I'm need to go find some boba to drown my sorrows in..

Seriously though..thanks guys for all the input and for replying so quickly! I think a 3 week turnaround seems to be the consensus. I will keep an eye out for (the absence of) a small, thick envelope. Thanks also for all the reassurance about the name fiasco and the short interview. You guys are the best!!

Toledo is still sending out invites. I got one today and i'm soo excited!

Toledo was my first interview and they accepted me within 3 weeks. I screwed up my first interview though he was a really really nice guy. I was really scared and things happened.
I didn't know that they were super selective about pre-interview stage. But I didn't get a chance to see the anatomy lab for some reason... can't think of why they omitted that from the tour. I think the ppl are really nice there. It's certainly a good school where students have a good average Step 1 score. :thumbup:

We saw the anat lab on our tour. Pretty standard stuff ... ~20-25 of those silver toolbox looking cadaver-savers (sorry, i dont know the official name), and some cool latin scrawled on the wall. Something about the dead teaching the living or something like that. Neat little feature.

Hehe.. for some reason of all the anatomy labs I've seen that one took the cake.
Good air circulation (tres importante), bright, well-lighted, plasma screens close to each cadaver-saver (hehe..), and dedicated anatomy faculty that supposedly live there 24/7 to answer student questions. Of course.. I haven't been on all THAT many interviews though.. :p

Ah yes, and the Latin was interesting =) I think they could have used a nicer font on the walls though.. :p

Wow, 126/160 is really specific info--thank you!! See..what worries me is that if 126/160 were filled Feb 5, then anyone who interviewed after that is vying for only 34 remaining spots. That worries me becuase at my interview alone there were 13 people. And, I know after me they had another 3-4 weeks of interviews left. So, let's say they interview about 20 people per week total between Tu/Th. That means that between February 5 and March they are interviewing 80 people for 34 remaining spots. That is definitely a worse ratio than the 280 accepted/400 interviewed Dr. Burns mentioned at the orientation session. This does not bode well for me.. le sigh. I don't think I got rejected, but this sure looks like another waitlist. I'm need to go find some boba to drown my sorrow

Well, you have to consider where you're applying. Toledo is one of 8 medical schools in Ohio. The reason that their waitlist shuffles so much is due to the fact that 4 of those schools are higher ranked(by the US News reports, please no flames), specifically, CCLM, Cincinnatti, Case Western, and Ohio State. Like I've said before, there are many people who are holding multiple acceptances who can only attend one school. Hence Dr. Burns' figure of 280 accepted - ~120 of those will go on to matriculate at another school, and 160 at Toledo. Think about it ... that means theyve offered probbably around 180 or so seats, with a few people here or there that have withdrawn allready... meaning that they probbably have around 100 left to offer.

So I hope youre an optimist, and, for the sake of being corny, a class-half full person, not a class-half empty one. :)

BuckeyeForBass, You are the best!!!!! Thank you for reminding me of the in state logistics.

Okay, I promise to be a glass-half full person until March 1. But if March 1 rolls around and the mailman still hasn't brought round the love, all bets are off and I'm going back to being a glass half-empty person. Possibly forever. :p

BuckeyeForBass, You are the best!!!!! Thank you for reminding me of the in state logistics.

Okay, I promise to be a glass-half full person until March 1. But if March 1 rolls around and the mailman still hasn't brought round the love, all bets are off and I'm going back to being a glass half-empty person. Possibly forever. :p

I bet you will get in.

When you guys were interviewed how did you find out about the interview e-mail/phone/mail? Thank you, I have yet to here from Toledo and I am becoming anxious.

The interview invite came by snail mail. Its a very nice letter, and mine offered dates you could check off and mail back. I just called the admissions office and asked for the earliest date, because people cancel and earlier dates open up.
UToledo was the bomb. Good luck to you:luck:

I bet you will get in.

Hahaha.. =) Okay thanks Texas Fool, I don't know why you say that but I could use the ego boosting so I'm grateful for the encouragement. You're the best too!! =) Are you from Texas or Ohio? I can't figure it out. And is your avatar a armadillo?

I got my interview invite snail mail too--it's a thin envelope, so keep an eye out for it. I had the same experience too--called up and asked for a earlier date even though all dates before March 1 had a big pen X through them. Kelly Burgin (the admissions coordinator) is really nice and checked for cancellations, and it all worked out. She said too that she can place your name on a "call list" and that if something opens up, she'll call you but in that case there's only three days notice.

As an aside, having a car really helped. Some interviews are scheduled on the main campus and I imagine it would have sucked to walk there in the biting cold.

Good luck!!

I got my interview invite snail mail too--it's a thin envelope, so keep an eye out for it. I had the same experience too--called up and asked for a earlier date even though all dates before March 1 had a big pen X through them. Kelly Burgin (the admissions coordinator) is really nice and checked for cancellations, and it all worked out. She said too that she can place your name on a "call list" and that if something opens up, she'll call you but in that case there's only three days notice.Good luck!!

Be sure to call her periodically to check if there are cancellations. I was put on the same list, and while i got an interview earlier than my paper allowed, my roommate who kept calling them got one 2 wks earlier than me (and he got his interview offer a month after mine).

BTW, May 20th would be a good day instead of March 1 for the stress. May 15 is when all multiple acceptance holders will have to withdraw from all schools but 1.

BTW, May 20th would be a good day instead of March 1 for the stress. May 15 is when all multiple acceptance holders will have to withdraw from all schools but 1.

But if everyone who has posted seems to have gotten accepted at the 3 week post-interview mark, then isn't it a bad sign if I don't hear at that point?

Should I consider send a LOinterest before the adcomm meets? Or would you wait until the 3-week mark? Or would you wait until May 15?

For those that have been accepted and who have decided to go to toledo, when are you going to head over there. I'm thinking of taking a trip to get to know toledo and the medical school a little better.

If I end up going there (predicated on being accepted first of course).. then I'll probably head out in June for five days, to locate housing and talk to med students and get an idea of the layout of the school. Because it's in close proximity to the undergrad campus I heard housing can be annoying to find unless you start early. I also wanted to talk to a couple people I'd be thrilled to research for, and explore the hospitals a bit since they weren't shown on the tour.

And.. I wanted to see Erie! when I went a few weeks ago, the Lake was covered with ice--it looked like a total arctic landscape! Really cool, but I'd love to see them in summer too.

And, gotta locate the good sushi in Toledo. I tried Fujiyama while I was there, but sadly.. I was left a bit disappointed. There are a couple places downtown I'd like to try.

What about you? How long were you going to go for? Heh..we should organize a pre-school party party meetup for the people on this thread. Is there a class of 2011 thread?

I'm thinking of moving to toledo in june, my job is online so it doesn't matter where I live.

I have no idea where that thread is, probably in the allopathic forum.

I'm looking forward to making new friends in class. A party before we matriculate would be awesome

If I end up going there (predicated on being accepted first of course).. then I'll probably head out in June for five days, to locate housing and talk to med students and get an idea of the layout of the school. Because it's in close proximity to the undergrad campus I heard housing can be annoying to find unless you start early. I also wanted to talk to a couple people I'd be thrilled to research for, and explore the hospitals a bit since they weren't shown on the tour.

And.. I wanted to see Erie! when I went a few weeks ago, the Lake was covered with ice--it looked like a total arctic landscape! Really cool, but I'd love to see them in summer too.

And, gotta locate the good sushi in Toledo. I tried Fujiyama while I was there, but sadly.. I was left a bit disappointed. There are a couple places downtown I'd like to try.

What about you? How long were you going to go for? Heh..we should organize a pre-school party party meetup for the people on this thread. Is there a class of 2011 thread?

But if everyone who has posted seems to have gotten accepted at the 3 week post-interview mark, then isn't it a bad sign if I don't hear at that point?

Should I consider send a LOinterest before the adcomm meets? Or would you wait until the 3-week mark? Or would you wait until May 15?

Send the LOI as soon as you can. You sound pretty set on Toledo ... maybe you should make that a letter of Intent... might help your chances. I would definately include how you liked the students that you met there... that seemed to go over really well in my interview. If I were you, I'd put something together and try to fax it to them. I think Dr Burns said the ADCOMS meet on Tuesdays (I think)... you might wanna see if you can put it together by then, in case you are up this week. I wouldnt necessarily see it as a bad sign that you havent heard from them yet... we had some hideous weather last week that tore up everyones schedules, so they might not have been able to meet then. I'm pretty sure the AdCom lets you know regardless of their decision, but who knows, they might just like to torture us poor mds to be. Plus, you live in Cali, and mail can be slow.

As far as Sushi goes, I cant help ya. Im not much of a sushi connessiour (however you spell that), seeing as my favorite sushi comes out of those plastic containers at Giant Eagle.

If I end up at UT, im definately in for a get together. I love meeting new people :)

If you like to fish, Erie is the spot. Even if you dont like to catch em, if you like Sushi, you probbably like to eat our aquatic little buddies... and fresh Walleye is amazing.

If you like to fish, Erie is the spot. Even if you dont like to catch em, if you like Sushi, you probbably like to eat our aquatic little buddies... and fresh Walleye is amazing.

I guess you've never read those brochures stating how dirty and polluted lake erie really is.

It's so polluted that it once caught on fire.

Toledo native here. I would have to say the best place to get sushi is at Koto Buki, over by Westfield Franklin Park. If you end up in the TOL, that restaurant won't disappoint.

Actually it was a river near Cleveland that caught fire maybe 15 or 20 years ago.

BTW the fishing in Lake Erie is considered some of the best freshwater sportfishing in the United States.

The Cuyahoga has actually caught on fire several times. The last time was in 1969. Prior to that it caught fire in 1868, 1883, 1887, 1912, 1922, 1936, 1941, 1948, and in 1952. At least it's been 38 years or so since the last time.

The Cuyahoga has actually caught on fire several times. The last time was in 1969. Prior to that it caught fire in 1868, 1883, 1887, 1912, 1922, 1936, 1941, 1948, and in 1952. At least it's been 38 years or so since the last time.

Someone should throw a match in it and see if it lights up again.

The river caught fire!?! Dang..
Well, pollution is nothing new for this Cali girl. Some days I'm amazed I am still alive and breathing when I look outside my room and see the thick layer of brown that's coating the horizon. Oh, goodness, there it is now... it's so nasty.

I totally wanted to see fishermen and eat good seafood! Especially ice fishermen!! My interviewer said there would be some out on the lake, so I drove all the way to Port Clinton after my interview with total excitement. But alas, everything was closed for the winter. If we all land up there, we'll all definitely have to take a celebratory trip out there and eat some good Walleye.

Hoya5150, thanks for the Koto Buki suggestion. How do you think it compares to Fujiyama?

Wait.. BuckeyeforBass..you said the adcomm meets *every* Tuesday? Oh no...now I am really worried. For some reason I thought they only meet once a month. If that's the case then there have been a few adcomm meetings already. I thought Dr. Burns said it would be a few weeks before they meet and we'd Then again, as a poster in another forum mentioned, given that the bitter, bitter, bitter, supernatural cold probably froze my brain solid on the walk from Mulford back to the car, I may have lost some of my memories as my brain melted back to normal temperature. I will send the LOI in now, but do you think it's a bad sign they haven't called yet?

Anyone know if it will be possible to call Toledo to find out about the acceptance status? And if it is possible, would they have the result by wednesday? Thanks.

Anyone know if it will be possible to call Toledo to find out about the acceptance status? And if it is possible, would they have the result by wednesday? Thanks.

I wasn't able to find the phone number on the website.

Call the switchboard and ask for the COM admissions offfice.

(419) 383-4000

I got this off the business card that was in our interview folders says:
Admissions Office
419 383 4229 Phone
419 383 4005 Fax
[email protected]

Better call them up now on their admissions office.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I have the number, but I was just wondering if they give out acceptances over the phone. If they don't, I don't want to bother the secretary, because I am sure she is busy as it is. It's been three weeks since I interviewed there, so I am pretty sure my file has gone through the ad. com. meeting on tuesday. Currently I am away from home and won't be able to check the postal mail for a week.